Now Hear This!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McShocker
    Unfortunately, it appears the only ones trying to make sincere arguments are conservatives. There are Obama supporters gloating, some right wingers bitching, but I haven't seen much of any honest liberal debate. I challenge any of you to tell me why Obama is going to be good for this country. I don't want to hear anything about McCain, or voting out another Bush. Tell me why Obama is the answer.
    I'm not a Obama supporter or McCain supporter, but I think most Americans wanted something different (a new direction) than what we had for the last eight years. It just happened that Obama was that person for them.

I wouldn't have had any problem if McCain had been elected instead. Those that were for Obama might not have liked it though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
      Unfortunately, it appears the only ones trying to make sincere arguments are conservatives. There are Obama supporters gloating, some right wingers bitching, but I haven't seen much of any honest liberal debate. I challenge any of you to tell me why Obama is going to be good for this country. I don't want to hear anything about McCain, or voting out another Bush. Tell me why Obama is the answer.
      I'm not a Obama supporter or McCain supporter, but I think most Americans wanted something different (a new direction) than what we had for the last eight years. It just happened that Obama was that person for them.

I wouldn't have had any problem if McCain had been elected instead. Those that were for Obama might not have liked it though.
      As I said in another post, most of us wanted change. I want someone to tell me why Obama was the right change to make.

Comment

I had a short talk with a long time union senior citizen white civil servant.

Someone about as dedicated Dem as you can get. Someone that I know and interact with on a daily basis. She wanted Hillary. She got Obama because "anything is better than the last 8 years".

I gave up a long time ago trying to get exactly what is so bad about W. That ship sailed long ago.

I challenged her today to tell me what she expected from her new President.

Her answers were both expected and interesting.

1)She wants out of Iraq and anywhere else our troops are. She wants them home protecting our borders. She wants to know what is going on other places but she wants us absolutely nowhere where we are not begged for and she wants us nowhere where the people will kill themselves to kill us.

2)She wants to government to spend a LOT less and raise a LITTLE more from the wealthy. She does not want her taxes going up. She does concede that if they went up a little bit to pay the DEBT down (not the deficit which I had to explain the difference) then she would be ok with that as long as the "rich" paid more than she did.

3)She wants MUCH less foreign involvement. If countries are not going to be supportive of the US then she wants nothing to do with them.

Lastly, every statement must end with "anything will be better than the last 8 years" and "nobody can screw it up more than Bush. I hate him."

The ironic thing is, she makes good solid fiscally responsible points that, frankly, are much closer to the conservative base than what she just helped to elect. We marketed our product very poorly, but maybe it was the best we could do given the intelligence of the audience.

She wants a better America for all Americans. I am going to allow myself to believe MY PRESIDENT believes the same thing......for now.

Comment

As I said in another post, most of us wanted change. I want someone to tell me why Obama was the right change to make.
          You`ll never get answer. His own supporters can`t name 1 thing Obama has done in the Senate that has made their lives better.

Comment

I know you were. The frustrating thing to me is that 90+% of Americans want "change" of some sort. The federal government is broken. I have no problem getting conservatives to tell me what they think needs to change, and many are critical of the Republican party. I rarely get an answer from any liberal that isn't basically some form of "not-Bush".
            Here's a sneakpeak of the "Change" to come:

Stimulus on tap
            Expanding Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, meanwhile, make it more likely an Obama administration will press for a large stimulus package, though it's unclear how that will be squared with a surging budget deficit.
            Paul Ashworth, an economist at Capital Economics, said the need for additional stimulus is "urgent." The last stimulus package, in the form of one-time tax rebates, provided only a temporary boost and quickly evaporated, Broux noted.
            Yet Obama could face a budget deficit wider than any seen since World War II, when measured as a proportion of the overall economy. The federal government has already approved a $700 billion bank-bailout package and additional aid may be required to keep financial institutions operating and avert a collapse in lending.

Comment

Doc, it wasn't marketing. No amount of marketing was gonig to make McCain look like someone he wasn't.

We weren't going to get fiscal responsibility from a war-hawk with a reputation for crossing the aisle. As we saw in the 90s, fiscal restraint requires partisanship within Congress.

McCain-Feingold? All you need to know about that piece of legislation is that George Soros was for it.

We saw the real McCain when he abandoned his principles and pushed for the largest earmark our country has ever seen.

Comment

Someone had to get elected, didn't they? Las I checked, Bush is out of terms.

I don't have a reason, but I ask this... Why was McCain the right choice for a change? Neither were worth a damn, and since McCain had the Republican label on him, he lost. That's pretty much all it came down to.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

I don't have a reason, but I ask this... Why was McCain the right choice for a change? Neither were worth a damn, and since McCain had the Republican label on him, he lost. That's pretty much all it came down to.
                  I think, generally, you are right. However, that doesn’t necessarily make Obama the BEST choice – party labels aside.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie

I think, generally, you are right. However, that doesn’t necessarily make Obama the BEST choice – party labels aside.
                    I agree, but that's what happened and that's how I take it. Maybe both parties will fix it for next time, although I seriously doubt it.

Comment

Both parties are in bad shape. Isn't the approval rating of Congress aroun 15%?
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie

I agree, but that's what happened and that's how I take it. Maybe both parties will fix it for next time, although I seriously doubt it.
                        Because I agree with McCain on more issues than I do with Obama – especially with regard to foreign policy – I fear the interim period. Some things in that arena can’t be “fixed”.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          I think I just read 19% somewhere, but anything under 60% is bad IMHO.

Comment

The margin was +/- 5 so I'm fine :D
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The margin was +/- 5 so I'm fine :D
                              :yes: I guess I can let you slide this time.

Comment

Originally posted by emcfizzle
                                Originally posted by RoyalShock
                                Am I gloating? Yeah, a little bit.
                                A little bit? That is all you are doing.

My apologies for not trying to argue/convince this Shockernet lynch mob of right wing nut jobs that they were wrong.
                                Thank you for your substantive contributions.
                                I'm outnumbered 500-1 on this forum, do you think it would actually be worth my time? I'll go ahead and say "no", and continue my gloating.
                                500 to 2 :good: 8) 8)
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X