No announcement yet.

Paying more taxes is patriotic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the things that really irked me was his use of the word "patriotic". When I think of a "patriot", I think of the revolutionaries that went against popular opinion and fought for freedom from tyranny. Yet, Biden thinks that being a willing subject of tyranny is "patriotic". Sorry, but that is a downright scary concept.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

No more involvement in education.
      Just curious RS - could you detail what you mean? Taken literally it could mean a lot of things (i.e. eliminating Wichita State and making it a private college).

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee
        Originally posted by Maggie
        Originally posted by ABC
        Originally posted by ABC
        That's fine, but do you support these higher taxes b/c the Federal Govt needs the revenue or b/c you want to redistribute wealth?
        This is a semantic argument, but to me "redistribute" to me says "taking what you have and giving it to someone else." I do not support that.

I want all Americans to shoulder future tax burdens in a way that is fair and appropriate. I don't care if we're raising $700 billion or $70. I support a graduated tax, because it's clear to me that if I have $10 and you have $100, a 10 percent tax has very different consequences in our real life economics. A flat tax does not result in an equal burden.

I am a capitalist. I do not begrudge people reaping financial rewards for taking risk. One of my biggest problems with Wichitans in general is that they tend to frown on big ideas because somebody might make a dollar on the project. However, I do have problems with people reaping financial rewards in a fixed game, where performance and compensation have no relationship, where risk is unnaturally supressed, and where special interests and lobbyists set the agenda before the public good.

I would include in that fixed game exploding corporate salaries, all manner of corporate welfare and mindless deregulation, which is clearly the root cause of the crisis right now.

I also believe that closing the income gap between the rich and poor would be a positive move for our economy. I don't buy that a reasonable tax increase (tax break rollback) will have any chilling effect on the spending habits of those making more than $250,000 a year.

It's time for the pendulum to swing back the other way.
        Why can't you just say you are in favor of government redistributing wealth?

As Maggie points out, "mindless deregulation" is not the cause of today's financial mess.
        Deregulation is almost certainly a major factor in making the subprime mortgage industry possible and Republicans, namely Gramm are responsible. And if it's not, why is Mr. Deregulation John McCain now talking about increasing regulation on the financial industry? Is he crazy? A flip-flopper? Which of these?

Years before Phil Gramm was a McCain campaign adviser and a lobbyist for a Swiss bank at the center of the housing credit crisis, he pulled a sly maneuver in the Senate that helped create today's subprime meltdown.

oh ... and I guess to prove I'm right I need to say something inane.

"Now the schooling endeth! Go unto your homes and weep at your inadequacies!"
        Still here, yet ignored by you.....don’t write of lessons……
        I apologize for that. I was attempting to make fun of Maggie.

As for the rest: I've stated my position. You're not ignored, you just don't accept the answer.
        Didn’t go unnoticed….but lay off I am sensitive!! :)

P.S. Your answer doesn't address the root of the problem.

Comment

David Brooks has a very good column in today's Eagle.

I have yet to read much about how deregulation caused this, outside of Obama talking points.

"In the first place, the idea that our problems stem from light regulation and could be solved by more regulation doesn't fit all the facts. The current financial crisis is centered on highly regulated investment banks, while lightly regulated hedge funds are not doing so badly."

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah

No more involvement in education.
            Just curious RS - could you detail what you mean? Taken literally it could mean a lot of things (i.e. eliminating Wichita State and making it a private college).
            As I've already pointed out, I want the feds out of educational matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane
              Does your attitude towards the constitution mean that I should be worried about being a slave, Royal?
              Thirteenth Amendment?

Comment

As I've already pointed out, I want the feds out of educational matters.
                All? That would be a pretty broad brush.

Comment

Royal, Denny was quoting that constitutional law scholar, Whoopi Goldberg.
                  Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by shocrates
                    Royal, Denny was quoting that constitutional law scholar, Whoopi Goldberg.
                    Ahhh, I forgot about her saying that. My sarcasm meter must be in need of repair!

Comment

Working...
                    X