Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for you Computer literate types.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, if it is working fine on other systems something is mucked up on your computer.

I would think that since your other devices work, nothing would be wrong with your USB ports, but it could be it is not providing enough power. HOWEVER, if that were the case, their would be at least an indication that it was plugged in.

Question - does the external hard drive have a light that comes on when you plug it in? Does it light up when you plug it in to your computer?

Have you tried plugging it in with all other USB devices unplugged?

Comment

Dude if it works on others computers just move the files you want to theirs and burn to disks or get another external HD to move them to. Just a thought. How large are we talking. The amount you could fit on a flash drive or DVD or like 80 gigs? Either way there is a way to preserve them if your just creative. I know that may be besides the point as you got a HD thats all messed up but aren't the files more important than the HD itself? If so you'll find a way to transfer them somehow to preserve them.

Comment

Originally posted by Saulbadguy

Question - does the external hard drive have a light that comes on when you plug it in? Does it light up when you plug it in to your computer?
        Yes and Yes
        Originally posted by t7017s
        Dude if it works on others computers just move the files you want to theirs and burn to disks or get another external HD to move them to. Just a thought. How large are we talking. The amount you could fit on a flash drive or DVD or like 80 gigs? Either way there is a way to preserve them if your just creative. I know that may be besides the point as you got a HD thats all messed up but aren't the files more important than the HD itself? If so you'll find a way to transfer them somehow to preserve them.
        I can do that its not a problem to do that. i spent 80 bucks on some equipment I expect it to work.

I have about 130 140 gigs that im working with. i used to burn data discs but it got to messy and having the external hard drive helped with the organization

Comment

What is the make and model of the External hard drive?

Comment

Western Digital - WDXMS1200TN

Comment

So you have the optional power cable?

Comment

I have this

Comment

okay so ive contacted Acer and Western Digital. nobody seems to be able to explain my situation.

So im going to go buy a new external HD today.

Any Suggestions? Im going to try and stay away from Western Digital even though i like my drive but obviously there is some sort of comptability issue.

Comment

went a bought a new one.

Came home plugged it in same ol story

Comment

If you have a free pci slot, you might get a usb card. You can buy usb 4-port pci cards online for around $10 or so.

Comment

Seems to me you need a new and more powerful power supply probably.

Comment

Who ya gonna call?

Ad for Geek Squad starring Bob Clendenin and Amir Talai. Directed by Jim Jenkins.
                          SFL is back!

Comment

What kind of system do you have exactly? And why didn't you just buy an internal hard drive? I dropped an internal 250 Gig into my system.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                              What kind of system do you have exactly? And why didn't you just buy an internal hard drive? I dropped an internal 250 Gig into my system.
                              I ahve a Acer Aspire 380 running Vista. I need the external because of that External. I use that drive in multiple computers as needed. I have a 300 gb internal harddrive. I wouldnt mind expanding it But I dont have the money right now.

For the tower or the exhd? everything that I ve been using is through the USB. But again the drive works on all comuters except my own.

I guess my next best thing would be to take it to best buy and let them run a diagnostic on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                                Originally posted by Snapshot9
                                I ahve a Acer Aspire 380 running Vista. I need the external because of that External. I use that drive in multiple computers as needed. I have a 300 gb internal harddrive. I wouldnt mind expanding it But I dont have the money right now.

For the tower or the exhd? everything that I ve been using is through the USB. But again the drive works on all comuters except my own.

I guess my next best thing would be to take it to best buy and let them run a diagnostic on there.
                                Tower.

Comment

Working...
                                X