Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for you Computer literate types.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you Computer literate types.

Okay so I have had my comp for about a year now.

About 6 months ago my comp stopped reading my external harddrive.

Anytime i plug it in it will not read what so ever

So flash forward to the last couple of days.

My IT guy at work took a look at it and said that the HD isnt producting enough power for the tower to read the drive or vice versa. I ordered a new power cord from Western Digital. I plug everything in and VOILA. Nothing nada nil nine ZERO.

After work I take it up to Best Buy and have them poke around and nobody up there can figure out what is up. They ran through different things to locate the drive and it cannot be found any where even though it shows that it is installed.

The kicker is everything else works fine. My Ipod, My camera everything. Just plug it in and go. Also when they pluged the EXHD into THIER computer it pulled up for them just fine.

Im ready to throw this thing off a cliff.

Ive also emailed Western Digital and have not gotten a response.

I think the first thing you should check is your power supply. If it is faililng you will get a whole host of problems.

T

...8)

Comment

Press any key.

Comment

Did you have to install drivers for your HD to work with your PC? Did you happen to install any other software or device about the time it quit working? If so, try reinstalling the driver(s).

I assume this is a USB connection? If so, have you tried it on another port?

Comment

It is a USB connection Ive tried all ports and nothing pulls up. At Best Buy last night they tried them again as well.

All drivers are installed there isnt like a software/hardware disk of any sort. You plug it in and go.
          I did try to remove the drivers and I restarted my comp but that still not work. When rebooted for a second time the drivers were reinstalled but still would not pull up.

Ive even went to Western Digitals website and followed their steps and still nothing.

Comment

You might try a powered USB hub. This provides more USB ports and power for the USB connections. What all do you have plugged into the USB ports?

Comment

Just thinking out loud here...

Go in to the Control Panel

If you're in Category View, click on Performance and Maintenance then Administrative Tools

If you're in Classic View, click on Administrative Tools

From there, click on Computer Management. When that comes up, expand the Storage section and click on Disk Management. See if your device shows up in the bottom list.

I know on my PC at work, the default drive for all my external drives is the F: drive. However, the login script is already assigning something to the F: drive, so the external drive is hidden. To get around this, I have to reassign the drive letter for the external drives.

If your drive shows up in the list, to reassign the drive letter, right click on the drive and choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths" (be careful, because just below that is Format...). Pick a new drive letter and then see if it shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock
                You might try a powered USB hub. This provides more USB ports and power for the USB connections. What all do you have plugged into the USB ports?
                the standard - keyboard,mouse,monitor,printer.

I havent looked into a powered hub.
                To be honest I dont know to much about that.

Originally posted by TxShox
                Just thinking out loud here...

Go in to the Control Panel

If you're in Category View, click on Performance and Maintenance then Administrative Tools

If you're in Classic View, click on Administrative Tools

From there, click on Computer Management. When that comes up, expand the Storage section and click on Disk Management. See if your device shows up in the bottom list.

I know on my PC at work, the default drive for all my external drives is the F: drive. However, the login script is already assigning something to the F: drive, so the external drive is hidden. To get around this, I have to reassign the drive letter for the external drives.

If your drive shows up in the list, to reassign the drive letter, right click on the drive and choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths" (be careful, because just below that is Format...). Pick a new drive letter and then see if it shows up.
                I think they tried this at Best Buy last night. Im not to for certain they tried lots of different things.

When I get home tonight I will follow these instructions and report back.

Thanks for everybodies help.

I have much of the data on there backed up somewhere else. My big issue is there is alot of pictures on the HD itself that I DONT have backed up.
                I know it sounds like alot for that But theres alot of sentimental stuff on there.

Comment

You can always try getting a new enclosure...

Comment

nothing happened what so ever @ Tx

I can figure this out. I finally got an email back from their tech support. They managed to not read my email at all and asked me all kinds of questions which I had given him all the info.

Screw it im just blowing the son of a beesh up

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                      Sometimes it feels good to be a gangsta'

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                        Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                        Sometimes it feels good to be a gangsta'

Effin A Man

Comment

When you plug it in, is there any indication of it being plugged in or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Saulbadguy
                            When you plug it in, is there any indication of it being plugged in or not?
                            none.

I did get another email from their tech support saying to send it in to replace the driver. But im confused as hell. Are they talking about my XHD? because it works fine everywhere else. Or would he be talking about my tower.

Comment

If you got the e-mail from the manufacturer of the XHD, then I'm sure that is what they want sent in.

I wouldn't send it in unless you are comfortable that they understand it works on other systems.

If it were me and I had the money, I'd buy a new one and have the data transferred first. Then if they can fix it, maybe you can sell it.

Comment

Working...
                              X