No announcement yet.

Opening Ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a rhetorical question. I knew Sub (and of course you newshock) would prefer a Chiefs preseason game over the Olympics. I should've put a smiley.. :)

I'm glad people take great pride and care for our country in this event. :good: Hell, I'd watch the Olympics over a Chiefs regular season game.

You guys didn't answer my real question.... Will you be watching the Redeem Team tomorrow play against Yao Ming and the host Chinese team in their first game to try to take back the gold..?

Yea or Nay..
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Right now I am concentrating on the sailing events being held in what used to be my back yard.

Comment

Originally posted by shockandawe08
        I thought it was the most awesome opening I've ever watched. :shock: And if that little Chinese boy, the one who saved two of his classmates after such a horrific disaster (because he thought it was "his job" as hall monitor) didn't touch your heart, nothing will. :cry:
        certainly a great story, I can't believe the kid was old as they said he was (i think 10, he looked maybe 6, could have been the Yao factor though). I just have a tough time thinking this was the best ever. Best use of available technology, oh yeah, the stadium is one of the neatest i've ever seen.

However, I also agree with Sub. Its tough to seperate the politics and the games with this olympiad. China is using these games to show themselves off as much as Germany did in the 30's. BUT I am not comparing Modern day China to Nazi Germany, just thier use of the Olympics to bring attention to themselves and thier political "prowess."

Comment

Shox151,

I see your point, and Sub's for that matter. I just regret that politics is allowed to enter the Olympic arena in particular. Take my Thanksgiving table, for example. Family rule: Discussion of politics and religion is NOT allowed. Certain occasions demand the laying down of arms. I feel that the Olympic Games should be one of these occasions.

I want the USA to beat China SO bad in as many areas as we are able and show them that it takes a lot more than a Project 119 or highly regimented discipline to crank out a champion.
          It actually takes a lot of heart. And the sheer love of the sport, neither of which can be taught nor demanded.
          "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
            That was a rhetorical question. I knew Sub (and of course you newshock) would prefer a Chiefs preseason game over the Olympics. I should've put a smiley.. :)

I'm glad people take great pride and care for our country in this event. :good: Hell, I'd watch the Olympics over a Chiefs regular season game.

You guys didn't answer my real question.... Will you be watching the Redeem Team tomorrow play against Yao Ming and the host Chinese team in their first game to try to take back the gold..?

Yea or Nay..
            Probably not. I simply don't care that much for a lot of guys on the US team. And it's a game they should win anyway. But I'm sure they'll let us all down again and come home without the gold once again. I'll probably be spending time with my 3 favorite girls instead. (brothers kids)
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

You missed the most watched basketball game in the sport's 117 year history, according to NBC.

Still pales in comparison to Chiefs preseason football.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

You missed the most watched basketball game in the sport's 117 year history, according to NBC.
                They said on the news that the game was watched by more than a billon people around the world. I'm guessing China made up most of that number.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                  They said on the news that the game was watched by more than a billon people around the world. I'm guessing China made up most of that number.
                  Oh, no doubt about it. Being on here at 10:00am (9:00am central) on a Sunday morning probably didn't help out the American side of the ratings. Still, it was the most watched basketball game ever. Still, not as good as the Chiefs preseason tv ratings though.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Its a shame at least part of what was seen on the opening ceremony was fake.

Comment

Sometimes you're lucky enough to witness an historic moment.

The men's 4X100 relay was just such a moment.

They could replay that race 1000 times and I would never tire of it....wow.

U-S-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oh, no doubt about it. Being on here at 10:00am (9:00am central) on a Sunday morning probably didn't help out the American side of the ratings. Still, it was the most watched basketball game ever. Still, not as good as the Chiefs preseason tv ratings though.
                        Who cares about the damn ratings? Do you only watch things that get good ratings? It's about enjoyment and I'd rather watch the Chiefs, something I care about, than an Olympic blowout of the Commies.....er, I mean Chinese. I'm guessing it was a blowout, I haven't heard.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          Sometimes you're lucky enough to witness an historic moment.

The men's 4X100 relay was just such a moment.

They could replay that race 1000 times and I would never tire of it....wow.

U-S-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          To beat the WR by 4 seconds and come from behind?

This is what makes the Olympics special.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Putting the French in their place was the icing on the cake for me. :D
                            "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                              Who cares about the damn ratings? Do you only watch things that get good ratings? It's about enjoyment and I'd rather watch the Chiefs, something I care about, than an Olympic blowout of the Commies.....er, I mean Chinese. I'm guessing it was a blowout, I haven't heard.
                              Of course not. You just missed out on a little history, that's all.

As already mentioned, you also missed an unbelievable swimming relay last night. I'm, by all means, not a 'swimming fan', but that match last night sent me out of bed and begging my fiancee for a high five. It was that awesome. How does that trash taste Frenchies?

Still though, it wouldn't compare to the emotion of a Chiefs preseason game.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Why do you care so much about what other people watch.

Just tell us how much you like it then STFU and move along

You sound like the chikcs I dated in middle school whining about every damn thing just for the sake of arguement. My 7 year old son doesnt even do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X