Opening Ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Ceremony

Filled with wonder and intrigue, you do not have a soul if you haven't been moved to at least near tears watching this historic event.

May God bless all of us and watch over the athletes.

While I did enjoy the show that Beijing put on tonight, in my opinion it still does not top the show Barcelona did in '92. Still a pretty impressive display of technology in the stadium and a great lead in to what should be some fantastic games the next two weeks.

Comment

I thought it was the most awesome opening I've ever watched. :shock: And if that little Chinese boy, the one who saved two of his classmates after such a horrific disaster (because he thought it was "his job" as hall monitor) didn't touch your heart, nothing will. :cry:
      "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

Check out all the video on nbcolympics.com.

You can watch lots of stuff live.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Normally I would have paid attention but I can't get over the fact that China is actually hosting. And once they revoked the visa of one of the Americans because he speaks out against the atrocities in Darfur, I can't really give much props to them. Then when you add to that what they've done to Tibet over time...

I normally enjoy all the stories that you hear about people and what they've done/accomplished/over come but I doubt I get much of that this year.

But I'll stop now as there's no sense in taking this in that direction any more. I hope you guys enjoy the games.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Sub,

You know, ordinarily I would agree with you as those are terrible atrocities that you mention. However, all of these athletes have worked really hard and no doubt sacrificed so much to participate and I just don't think politics should play a role here. Just imagine...thousands of people from many different nations competing and getting to know one another as human beings and not just by what they hear and read. If only ONE person comes away from the experience with more tolerance and understanding, it will have been worth it to me.
            I say the best way to send a message to China is to seriously kick their behinds in these games. Go USA!!! :yahoo:
            "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

You don't have to agree with a country's political views to have enjoyed the Opening Ceremony. Did it bring me to tears -- no. But my jaw did drop a couple of times with "How did they do that?" I can't imagine the hours and hours of practice that went into that Opening. The synchronization was spectacular. The technology was awesome. The costumes were wonderful. I just hope these games run safe. There is so much opportunity here for really bad things to happen.

Comment

But the fact that their (China) political views is keeping an American who is supposed to be one of the best in his even out of the country because of his political views irritates me. And he never even referenced China.

I hope to hell the US beats the living crap out of China. I'll spend my time doing other things.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Shox21,

As it turns out, your words were prophetic.

SubGod22, I still don't see how it's fair to punish hundreds of athletes for the injustice done to one, or even a few. After all, this kind of thing has happened to athletes from several countries in the past. No, it doesn't make it right.
                  Some of these people have trained their whole lives for this and, for some, this is their last chance. But, maybe we should just do away with the games, since it's become too political and many refuse to "play nice."
                  I just hate to give in to bullies, because then they win.
                  Maybe it's not worth it, though, in light of what has happened. This is profoundly sad.

Comment

Chinese are very very good when it comes to colors and imagery. Some of my most favorite movies in teh past few years are actually chinese flicks such as Hero and such because the imagery they portray is beautiful.

Comment

Sub, please don't tell me you'd prefer watching a preseason NFL game over the Olympics?

So, you're not gonna watch the USA vs. China men's basketball game tomorrow?

I agree with all the political assertions you made about China, but I too think you can still watch the Olympics despite your views. It's not like you're giving China ratings or anything..

You're missing out on a historic event and in general an event that only happens once every 4 years (in the summer).
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Summer Olympics? Is that next year or 2010? (I'm with Sub on this one. :D )
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                          Sub, please don't tell me you'd prefer watching a preseason NFL game over the Olympics?.
                          i know this isnt a question for me, but i much rather watch a preseason football game over the Olympics anyday of the week
                          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Chiefs preseason football > Olympics
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I like the olympics, but only portions of it. I like the swimming and the track and field events, especially the relays.

Here's the video of the lighting of the torch from the Opening Ceremony.

Comment

Working...
                              X