Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlieHog
    Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
    I don't think he should have to go to Marquette, but he recruited him on Marquette's time and dollar.

I am one that believes that if a coach leaves, the LOI's should be null and void. BUT, the coach should not be allowed to recruit them to his/her new school.

JMO.

I see your point about him recruiting on Marquette's time and dollar, but how does it hurt Marquette for him to go to Indiana instead of some other school? Marquette is out of this recruit regardless.
    The way I look at it is that if the coach is terminating his contract (which is typically the case), he should not have it so easy by taking a player he recruited to his old school with him. Let him go recruit a new set of players or re-recruit the ones already committed to his new school.

Comment

Turggate!
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

The way I look at it is that if the coach is terminating his contract (which is typically the case), he should not have it so easy by taking a player he recruited to his old school with him. Let him go recruit a new set of players or re-recruit the ones already committed to his new school.

That's not fair to the player in my opinion. The coach is a huge reason why a player signs with a school. As fans we would love to think that it's our awesome traditions and fan support that get a player to campus but I think we all know that isn't true. Players want to play for a coach because of their temperament, their coaching style, their ability to make them a better player and possibly get to the next level. Nick Williams likes Crean and wants to play for him. Why should he be punished?

And keep in mine he was down to Indiana and Arkansas and we really could have used him! haha.

Comment

If the kid doesn't want to honor his committment then he should find another school. Just not the one the coach leaves to. It looks shady and is in poor taste. I've always been against it and always will be. There's nothing like spending all this time and money of one school to land a kid and then bolt and take him with you. I'm glad Marshall is on record as saying he won't do it. He had a chance and it could have helped us but he sees the light.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
            If the kid doesn't want to honor his committment then he should find another school. Just not the one the coach leaves to. It looks shady and is in poor taste. I've always been against it and always will be. There's nothing like spending all this time and money of one school to land a kid and then bolt and take him with you. I'm glad Marshall is on record as saying he won't do it. He had a chance and it could have helped us but he sees the light.
            If you are going to be that black/white on everything, wouldn't you have to say Marshall spent Winthrop's time and money on Orupke, Aaron Ellis, and even Brett Burley?

I am curious as to which players would have definitively helped us if Marshall would have brought them...

Comment

OruKPe followed DOBO Okon to Wichita State.

Aaron Ellis chose Wichita State over Colorado State, Wyoming and Coastal Carolina, and Winthrop wasn't ever really in the picture for him. He originally chose SC over Kentucky, Clemson, A&M, and Old Dominion.

Burley was/is a walk-on.

Comment

Burley was a walk on that Marshall never really had to recruit. Ellis was a commitment to SC and Winthrop wasn't in the picture as far as I recall. Ehimen was ready to play at Liberty when they over signed and released him. All those are different from what we're debating. He's not "stealing" committed players from his previous University.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

IIRC, when the Liberty coaching staff left, the new coaching staff basically made no effort to contact Orukpe. In cases like that, I have no problem with the player following the coach who recruited him.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                    OruKPe followed DOBO Okon to Wichita State.

Aaron Ellis chose Wichita State over Colorado State, Wyoming and Coastal Carolina, and Winthrop wasn't ever really in the picture for him. He originally chose SC over Kentucky, Clemson, A&M, and Old Dominion.

Burley was/is a walk-on.

C'mon now, Orukpe was recruited by Winthrop while Marshall was there. You can't tell me that you know and believe that Marshall didn't establish a relationship with a Myrtle Beach, South Carolina kid while he was on Winthrop's payroll. You also can't tell me that no relationship was established with Burley while Marshall was at Winthrop...what difference does it make whether he requires a scholarship to play for him or not? If the guy is considered an asset to the program, he is an asset to the program.

I have no problem with any of this.

My point is that if programs and the NCAA have a problem with coaches continuing to recruit players they established relationships with through their previous employers, they can require them to sign non-competes. Until that is done, you can expect high level, high pressure employees to do what is legally acceptable to maximize their potential results. The restrictions on this activity have only very recently been eliminated and it will now occur frequently.

Comment

Working...
                    X