Indiana (Coach Crean) signs former Marquette recruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana (Coach Crean) signs former Marquette recruit

Let the floodgates start to open wider. It appears as the coaching profession becomes more cut-throat, so will the recruiting battles.

Sounds like it's becoming more like women's basketball, where this appears to be a common and accepted practice.

Comment

I wouldn't say accepted and common. In recent memory how many cases do we know of like this???

It's still a despicable practice and I can say I've lost a lot of respect for Coach Crean. I used to really like the guy....
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If the NCAA had a pair, they'd look into this.

Comment

I'll even give Turgeon a little credit in the fact that at least he pretended to tell the kids to stay at WSU and waited a bit before pulling the trigger. How long has Crean been at Indiana???
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Almost 3 weeks.

Comment

He's been there a little longer than I thought......

About half as long as the aTm incident

It's still BS though.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I would agree. Even Big old Badd Bobby didn't take any with him. He TRULY told them if they were men to honor their commitment, as he walked away from his, but by himself at least.

Comment

Turgeon Jr.
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

You guys think he should have had to go to Marquette even though they have a different coach now? That doesn't seem fair to the player.

Comment

I don't think he should have to go to Marquette, but he recruited him on Marquette's time and dollar.

I am one that believes that if a coach leaves, the LOI's should be null and void. BUT, the coach should not be allowed to recruit them to his/her new school.

JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                        I don't think he should have to go to Marquette, but he recruited him on Marquette's time and dollar.

I am one that believes that if a coach leaves, the LOI's should be null and void. BUT, the coach should not be allowed to recruit them to his/her new school.

JMO.

I see your point about him recruiting on Marquette's time and dollar, but how does it hurt Marquette for him to go to Indiana instead of some other school? Marquette is out of this recruit regardless.

Comment

But at least they know that the coach that jumped ship didn't get him either.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                            I wouldn't say accepted and common. In recent memory how many cases do we know of like this???

It's still a despicable practice and I can say I've lost a lot of respect for Coach Crean. I used to really like the guy....

Well there's Vaden to UAB, Bowles to A&M, Crean...I'm sure there are plenty more low profile situations.

To play devil's advocate, two things -

1) It's only been in the last few years that schools are not allowed to grant conditional releases. So until then, this couldn't have happened/

2) In most cases a guy leaves for a better job that offers a higher level of talent to recruit from. Thus the incentive isn't that great to take former recruits with you.

This is highly competitive world. This is reality. I expect this to happen more and more. It's not like it isn't extremely common practice in just about every industry in America. Without a signed non-compete to prevent it, expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                              Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

JMO.

I see your point about him recruiting on Marquette's time and dollar, but how does it hurt Marquette for him to go to Indiana instead of some other school? Marquette is out of this recruit regardless.

Stop being so damn rational!!

Comment

Working...
                              X