Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No cash at L-D?

Hadn't seen this discussed yet.

So, if I understand correctly, you will need to purchase a pre-paid card (can you even use cash for this?) and if you don't use it all you will either have to (presumably) stand in line after the game to get the balance paid back or use it at a subsequent game.

Interesting. Good for repeat attenders, I suppose.

Many places are going cash-less. This will be the first ballpark to do it. I know the KC Wizards new soccer complex will be the same (once it's completed)

Comment

I like cash. From my experiences at places with lines cash moves faster than cards. Although maybe this card is faster than the credit/debit system we use elsewhere.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        I like cash. From my experiences at places with lines cash moves faster than cards. Although maybe this card is faster than the credit/debit system we use elsewhere.

I disagree. As long as places don't make you sign, a card is so much quicker than people digging around for the right combination of $s and change. It's basically a swipe and a "have a nice day"

Now if people insist on receipts and the business needs everything signed, cash is obviously preferable.

Of course they can say whatever they want, but this is being put in place to benefit the team. A huge step in controlling sticky fingers of staff. It will also be similar to selling gift cards in that many of the purchasers will never fully use the funds.

The risk here is associated with people not wanting to go through the hassle of the process of obtaining a card or not wanting to have their children doing it in the middle of the game when they might have otherwise given them $3 to run and get a hot dog. I also wonder how easily this will be implemented with the mobile vendors.

Comment

What will the lines to get the cards be like? I'm not sure I want to wait in two lines. :wacko:
          "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Originally posted by WSU Shocker
            What will the lines to get the cards be like? I'm not sure I want to wait in two lines. :wacko:
            Maybe you'll need to be there at least a half-hour before game time, then another half-hour afterward to get your unused amount back.

I agree with 7hot. My first reaction was this had much more to do with lowering costs than improving the fan experience, even if (when) it does shorten the concession lines.

Comment

Doubt you'll ever see anything like this at MBH.

Comment

I don't remember waiting in really long lines when I went out to Wranglers games, but mabe it was a little more dead on the times I went.

I guess the new card system would be usefull if you got to games regularly. You could put $100 on a card and use it all season long. For those who only go to a couple of games every year, they will need to buy a card and then cash it out before they leave which sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

I guess the additional factor is do you really need to use their card? Can't you just use a credit card? If so, I would assume that more people would do that.

Comment

I think if you still have any left on the card, you can still use it at select stores outside of LD
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
                      I guess the additional factor is do you really need to use their card? Can't you just use a credit card? If so, I would assume that more people would do that.
                      Yes, I'm sure you'd be able to use any credit/debit card along with the pre-paid cards sold at the ballpark.

Comment

I didn't see anything in the article that indicated acceptance of credit cards. The only reference is to pre-paid cards. That would make sense because the transaction fees for a bunch of relatively small concession purchases would cut into their profit.

I suspect you could probably purchase your pre-paid card with a credit card but the article didn't address that.

Comment

Here is the site of the company controlling the switch to paperless at L-D:

"Total Venue Control enables credit and debit card purchases of event smart cards at designated locations."

- This idea will probably backfire for L-D. While the lines at concession stands won't be as long, the wait at the smart card kiosk will make up for it and I'm sure numerous smart card kiosks will break by the 2nd month of the season. So, unless they have over 20 locations to buy the cards, lines are inevitable, especially during the first week or so of the NBC. And you know there will be numerous people that are confused by the entire system and they will go up to the concession stand and try to pay with cash, slowing the line downs more as they argue with the attendant.
                          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Actually doing something before others.... amazing.

Too bad I have no interest in this team.

Comment

It sounds like a bit too much of a hassle for me. I rarely go to the concessions anyway, but if I can't use cash to get in.....
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X