WICHITA FLAG 'City Pride'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    That's basically what I feel, particularly for the cost of living part. With the difference in housing costs between Wichita and Denver, I could take the difference, make half a dozen trips out there each year, and get my sufficient fill of Denver...probably with plenty of money to spare.
    What was a noticeable difference just 10 years ago has become outrageous. Builders have not kept up with demand, and local government has not done a good job incentivizing affordable housing, and consequently we're beginning to resemble the San Francisco housing market. It's a dangerous situation to be in, as it could be just a matter of years before no one of modest or even normal economic means can afford to buy a decent house here. That's not sustainable and it's not good for economic development and future growth.

Personally, in the past two years our home's value has skyrocketed by well over 50%, and believe me, it's no mansion. You could buy our place in Wichita for probably $120,000, but it's worth 3 times that here. We had friends who recently sold a house for over half a million that they bought 5 years ago for $300,000. They're smart and they downsized. But the market is just stupid.
    Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; July 10, 2017, 11:37 AM. Reason: math...
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
      What was a noticeable difference just 10 years ago has become outrageous. Builders have not kept up with demand, and local government has not done a good job incentivizing affordable housing, and consequently we're beginning to resemble the San Francisco housing market. It's a dangerous situation to be in, as it could be just a matter of years before no one of modest or even normal economic means can afford to buy a decent house here. That's not sustainable and it's not good for economic development and future growth.

Personally, in the past two years our home's value has skyrocketed by well over 50%, and believe me, it's no mansion. You could buy our place in Wichita for probably $120,000, but it's worth 3 times that here. We had friends who recently sold a house for over half a million that they bought 5 years ago for $300,000. They're smart and they downsized. But the market is just stupid.
      I have friends who live several blocks from Mile High who are appalled at all of the newer housing that is being developed in their neighborhood. Old homes are being torn down and replaced by multi-unit condos that run about $750k per unit. Oh, and parking spots aren't included, so street parking is becoming nearly non-existent. The normal middle-class working folks are certainly being priced out of the area.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
        I live in the southwest part of the Denver metro in an unincorporated area called Roxborough. The City of Denver itself is such a small part of the Denver metro area and most people consider pretty much the entire Front Range area from Castle Rock to Longmont "Denver." Individual suburbs like Centennial, Lakewood, or Aurora feel more like neighborhoods than actual distinct cities. I think Ft. Collins is distinct enough, and separated enough from the urban sprawl, to be considered its own town in the minds of most people. So to answer your question, when most of us say Denver, we mean the entire Denver-Aurora-Boulder Combined Statistical Area.

Of course, like any other city, there are areas within the CSA that are more desirable than others. Just like Wichita--I have rather different opinions on living in Planeview vs College Hill.
        Thanks. As an outsider, I've always considered Aurora, Arvada, Thornton, Lakewood, and the such as, like you said, "neighborhoods of Denver" whether they like it or not. That sprawl has taken in Boulder, but it will probably keep it's identity of being distinct.

While areas farther north are growing, Longmont and north has always seemed separate of Denver, even if, technically, they are part of the Denver metro.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          Thanks. As an outsider, I've always considered Aurora, Arvada, Thornton, Lakewood, and the such as, like you said, "neighborhoods of Denver" whether they like it or not. That sprawl has taken in Boulder, but it will probably keep it's identity of being distinct.

While areas farther north are growing, Longmont and north has always seemed separate of Denver, even if, technically, they are part of the Denver metro.
          Technically Ft. Collins is not considered part of the Denver MSA or Denver CSA. To me it's surprising it's not part of the CSA, but I'm not sure what the Census bureau's methodology is in determining what to include.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            I have friends who live several blocks from Mile High who are appalled at all of the newer housing that is being developed in their neighborhood. Old homes are being torn down and replaced by multi-unit condos that run about $750k per unit. Oh, and parking spots aren't included, so street parking is becoming nearly non-existent. The normal middle-class working folks are certainly being priced out of the area.
            They live in one of the hottest areas in town. I don't envy your friends.

One of the problems here is that selling to cash out on the gains of your property means having to pay a super inflated price for a new property elsewhere in the area. Then you risk being upside down in your new place should the market cool off. This is my only criticism of living here. Quality of life is off the charts, the economy is one of the best in the nation right now, cultural opportunities are numerous, people are friendly, and you can literally take a vacation every weekend.

So Wichita, if I have one piece of advice, don't make our mistake and neglect the cost of real estate. Have policies in place to encourage affordable housing, make it easy for home/condo/apartment builders to do business, and have smart land-use regulations. Doing these things might help avoid skyrocketing real estate values if/when you do start growing quickly like what's happened here.

Comment

400 likes, 1 comments - wichitaflag on July 11, 2017: "Congrats to former #Shocker @ronbaker620 on his deal with the @nyknicks! Wichita couldn't be more proud! 🖤🏀🌾💛 #wichitaflag"
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Delano District looking to the future. http://www.kake.com/story/35883309/d...-of-the-future

Comment

Watch as an artist creates a dramatic new sign at The Pumphouse. The umbrellas are all a Wichita flag design. I want one of those for my patio.

Comment

Here’s where to celebrate Wichita’s birthday this weekend

Comment

Wichita Greetings

There’s a new hip photo spot in Wichita, and it’s postcard-perfect

Comment

#WichitaFlagTravelContest promotes Wichita pride around the world

Comment

Rather than start a new topic, I'll just drop this here:

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Century III: The Jellyfish.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think it's cooler than that cross-section of a disco ball they built in KC.

Comment

Working...
                                X