• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@mini-shock:
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
      There are some terrific people in Wichita, the best people I have ever met. There is a lot to like about it. It is my hometown, but it is a great place to be from. No economic growth to speak of, multiple ethnic/economic ghettos, crappy public schools, and a violent crime rate 2.5 times the national median. Good on those of you sticking around and trying to make a difference, but I'd rather live somewhere where neighboring businesses didn't have to pitch in to cover for a business owner that got shot.
      Wichita State University and Wichita are the hubs of the entire South Central Corridor of Kansas and are the reason most people post here. There is a lot to like and we are glad you are gone. Posting on here is voluntary but one won't get any stink on themselves from a distance.

Comment

There are some terrific people in Wichita, the best people I have ever met. There is a lot to like about it. It is my hometown, but it is a great place to be from. No economic growth to speak of, multiple ethnic/economic ghettos, crappy public schools, and a violent crime rate 2.5 times the national median. Good on those of you sticking around and trying to make a difference, but I'd rather live somewhere where neighboring businesses didn't have to pitch in to cover for a business owner that got shot.
        Curious how long has it been since you lived there?
        It's been a long time for me, but after living in Boston, Denver, Columbus OH, Philly, NYC, Vegas, and Phoenix, I've come to really appreciate Wichita. I get back about 4x per year and while anecdotal, I feel a different positive progressive energy. There are a lot of positives about Wichita that I miss. Very proud to call Wichita my home town.
        Would I move back? Absolutely.

I haven't really contrasted with other cities of similar size, but here is a good reference.
        Best Places to Live | Compare cost of living, crime, cities, schools and more.

Wichita is on the move!

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          It is extremely funny that he is still allowed to post here.
          Sorry if my meter wasn't working, but now he's not posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
            And with that, I'm out. The negativity here isn't healthy.
            Take another look, @Eric:.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              Curious how long has it been since you lived there?
              It's been a long time for me, but after living in Boston, Denver, Columbus OH, Philly, NYC, Vegas, and Phoenix, I've come to really appreciate Wichita. I get back about 4x per year and while anecdotal, I feel a different positive progressive energy. There are a lot of positives about Wichita that I miss. Very proud to call Wichita my home town.
              Would I move back? Absolutely.

I haven't really contrasted with other cities of similar size, but here is a good reference.
              Best Places to Live | Compare cost of living, crime, cities, schools and more.

Wichita is on the move!
              10 years. I visit at least once a year. Some of the things I just accepted are more vivid having been removed from the sutuation. Not trying to troll, or hurt anyone's feelings. I spent my first 40 years there. Always in Wichita, never Derby, Haysville, Goddard, Andover, Maize, or Bel Aire as I would imagine many of the offended do. My bona fides are earned. I think Wichita has been and could be a great town, but it is hollowed out for the most part. When flippers and developers are tripping over themselves to buy up homes south of Kellogg along the river, or west of Lawrence Dumont, or from Central to 13th and Waco to the railroads, all 5 minute bike rides to downtown, then we can talk. But all the residential development is east and west. Why are people voting with their feet? Find a Dillon's anywhere near the core (I'll help, College Hill).

Again, I am not trying to piss people off. It makes me mad too. But, if you are in the 'burbs and offended about what I am saying about Wichita, then look in the mirror. For those of you holding it down between 235 and K96, God bless you for carrying the banner.

Edit: and good riddance to mini-hawk
              Last edited by BOBB; June 30, 2017, 12:04 PM.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Wichita State University and Wichita are the hubs of the entire South Central Corridor of Kansas and are the reason most people post here. There is a lot to like and we are glad you are gone. Posting on here is voluntary but one won't get any stink on themselves from a distance.
                I would encourage you to read and reread both of my posts. I went to Wichita public schools and hold two degrees from WSU. If I were impugning the character of the good people of Wichita, I would be my own as well. The "glad you are gone" mentality is antithetical to any sense of civic development.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

10 years. I visit at least once a year. Some of the things I just accepted are more vivid having been removed from the sutuation. Not trying to troll, or hurt anyone's feelings. I spent my first 40 years there. Always in Wichita, never Derby, Haysville, Goddard, Andover, Maize, or Bel Aire as I would imagine many of the offended do. My bona fides are earned. I think Wichita has been and could be a great town, but it is hollowed out for the most part. When flippers and developers are tripping over themselves to buy up homes south of Kellogg along the river, or west of Lawrence Dumont, or from Central to 13th and Waco to the railroads, all 5 minute bike rides to downtown, then we can talk. But all the residential development is east and west. Why are people voting with their feet? Find a Dillon's anywhere near the core (I'll help, College Hill).

Again, I am not trying to piss people off. It makes me mad too. But, if you are in the 'burbs and offended about what I am saying about Wichita, then look in the mirror. For those of you holding it down between 235 and K96, God bless you for carrying the banner.

BOBB, I get your post....somewhat. I'd argue that there is a lot more to Wichita than between 235 and K96 and even using that big of a swath you're discounting a ton. I want to share a story that Lance the owner of AeroPlains Brewery shared with me 2 weeks ago when I went to his new micro-brewery in Delano. He told me, "You know what I love about Wichita and why I moved back here from San Diego? I moved back here because of the spirit of the people that live here. That same spirit is behind the name of my brewery. I named it 'Aero-Plains' because right here in Delano we went from herding cattle through here on the Chisolm trail to having the first airplane company launch right across the street.....all in a matter of 50 years. Think about that! That from herding cattle to building airplaines in 50 years. That's the spirit of Wichitans and that's why I call my Brewery "Aero-Plains" From cattle on the "plains" to "aero"planes in the sky all in 50 years."

I moved away as soon as I could when I graduated WSU in 1998. I went down to Phoenix. But I came back pretty quick because I missed all the intangibles that don't show up on glossy brochures or economic reports. I love this town. I'm glad others are starting to become more outward in their pride also. I want to be a part of something awesome for the next "50 years" in Wichita. BOBB I'd love you to join me in that quest. Isn't that a better way to live life anyway than just pointing at all the bad stuff? Yea Wichita isn't perfect. A friend of mine once said "the grass isn't greener on the other side. It's pretty brown on both sides so just get on with making it better wherever you are. 50 years from now we could have another AeroPlains example. Let's just get on with it.

Comment

I've lived in or near Wichita almost all my life. Lived in Valley Center up until my college days. I desperately wanted to stay in Wichita, but when I graduated from WSU, all the aerospace companies weren't hiring. Just one of those cyclical lulls the industry goes through. But Boeing in OKC was hiring everyone, so I had to catch that train. I love it here, both at Boeing and OKC, but I'm still counting down the days when I can move back to Wichita. Being away, I now know why they call it "The biggest little city." It feels like a small town where you just kinda feel like you know everyone. I want to come back and get involved in the community and help make Wichita even better. And I love how the Wichita flag has exploded in popularity. Just another example of that small town community feeling.

Comment

It starts downtown. There are a number of new apartment buildings downtown.

http://downtownwichita.org/live/residential-properties

http://www.250douglasplace.com/

http://www.250douglasplace.com/

http://theluxliving.com/

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/...158401214.html

It started with Intrust Arena. Now, you have the booming apartment buildings above, the combination brewery/pub of local craft beers are up to 6 between Delano and Grove, planned future refurbish of Lawrence-Dumont, and other projects may very well be a precursor to developments around the downtown area.

Regarding downtown grocery stores, hopefully something comes of this: 3 Grocery Store Projects Proposed for Downtown Wichita.

Comment

I'm personally no huge fan of Wichita, but it has nothing to do with skinny jean wearers driving up RE values via family money, all while drinking a $10 beer with their pinky finger extended (which isn't so much a thing here). I don't like living here simply due to weather (eff our horrible summers, and snowless useless winters), geography/topography (for the love of everything holy, give me some damn hills and trees, and some lakes that look like something other than a massive chocolate milkshake), and the former contributing to the fact that the Wichita region - to an outdoor activity enthusiast - might as well be the backside of the moon. It's truely awful here, under these parameters, no exaggeration.

That said, there's plenty to do here if you happen to be a consumer/yelper type. There's also a multitude of fantastic neighborhoods within the city core - Riverside, College Hill, Eastborough, Vickridge, Rockwood, Woodlawn Village, Sleepy Hollow, and a person could go on and on. Sure we have a somewhat decrepit halo around city center (and some other areas), but heck all cities do.

Oh... and there is a Dillons in College Hill, off the NW corner of Douglas and Hillside. Been there forever.

Comment

I have lived East. West and South but I knew I always wanted to come back to Wichita. Yep our reservoirs are muddy but they were built to be water supplies and recreation second. We used to have clear pristine water and beaches but those sand pits are now hosts to housing developments. Don't have mountains but we have the Flint hills which I think rival anything I have seen. Not better or bigger but just as beautiful. Wichita has always had our people that don't want to change anything because its going to raise my taxes or it won't work because there isn't enough parking. Think IBA. I don't mind those that want to drink their drinks with a raised pinkie because they just add to the diversity of Wichita. Change in Wichita is slow (as slow as Kellogg expansion) but it is taking place. The west bank construction, the replacement of LD Stadium, the people living downdown and the direction of our own University. Bike paths /lanes down town are present where five years ago there were none.Yep we don't have oceans or mountains but I can get to them in one days driving time. If the Gulf can be considered oceanic. The weather can be horrible but the South in the summer is unbearable from humidity and the North is frigid in the winter. I'll take what Wichita offers in the way of mostly four seasons. Read the Eagle today about the homeless 90 year old veteran that was taken off the streets and now has a roof over his head for the first time in 20 years because of some people in Wichita that took the time to help, and the others that have contributed to help others like him. No. Wichita Kansas with all of its short comings and crazy people is still the place I love to call home.
                          Last edited by pogo; June 30, 2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            I'm personally no huge fan of Wichita, but it has nothing to do with skinny jean wearers driving up RE values via family money, all while drinking a $10 beer with their pinky finger extended (which isn't so much a thing here). I don't like living here simply due to weather (eff our horrible summers, and snowless useless winters), geography/topography (for the love of everything holy, give me some damn hills and trees, and some lakes that look like something other than a massive chocolate milkshake), and the former contributing to the fact that the Wichita region - to an outdoor activity enthusiast - might as well be the backside of the moon. It's truely awful here, under these parameters, no exaggeration.

That said, there's plenty to do here if you happen to be a consumer/yelper type. There's also a multitude of fantastic neighborhoods within the city core - Riverside, College Hill, Eastborough, Vickridge, Rockwood, Woodlawn Village, Sleepy Hollow, and a person could go on and on. Sure we have a somewhat decrepit halo around city center (and some other areas), but heck all cities do.

Oh... and there is a Dillons in College Hill, off the NW corner of Douglas and Hillside. Been there forever.
                            @SHOCKvalue: I agree with everything in your first paragraph. But allow me to paint it with a different perspective. I used to intern while at WSU with a very successful Real Estate Developer here in town. He loved to go to southern California. He would do it once a month almost. I asked him one day. Why do you live here? Why don't you just move to SoCal if you like it there so much? His answer changed my perspective to what you spoke of. He told me he lived here for two reasons. 1) It's more enjoyable to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond. and 2) He told me I enjoy the ocean when I go because I never take it for granted. Everyone there forgets its there. Same could go for the mountains. My cousin who lives in Denver says she never even notices them. When I visit her I can't stop looking at them. Because I appreciate them. My perspective is Wichita allows you to appreciate what you have...and what you don't have. Make a successful life here, enjoy all the tangibles nobody else has in the big cities and then go take trips to all these places that you will greatly appreciate that nobody else does.

Currently I'm trying to make something of my life so I can go to warmer locals in January and February because I don't like the cold weather. But that's just one thing for me that doesn't trump everything else.

Comment

...and joining the AAC makes this possible to travel to Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Dallas, and Houston in the Winter. See, everything's working out perfectly!!

Comment

I have to agree that Wichita (Kansas) is abismal for current trends in outdoor sports. No skiing, hiking or camping. No oceans. There is some damn good hunting and decent fishing (no fly fishing). Biking (urban) isn't too bad. Golf is great if you don't mind the wind. Manhatten is only a few hours away and the Konza Prarie ain't bad.

Recently I was offered a promotion in North Carolina. Initially I was excited, but I checked out the town and it was a bit of a run down Salina. None the less, two hours to the ocean and two hours to the beach was pretty enticing, but we spend every weekend doing soccer, baseball, or basketball, so that time would be limited or our kids would bave to give up doing things they love. Finally, we decided to stick around (McPherson is the flattest town in the flattest county in the flattest state) because we have family in Kansas, and it's a great place to live, but a horrible place to visit. We spent the last week in the Smokey Mountains. Pretty cool, but it ain't home!
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X