No announcement yet.

Internet and TV options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ShockBand: I don't really know the package other than it is like $7-$8/mo. Not much money and we don't watch a lot of television, which may also be why I am oblivious that this is bad deal. :-)

Edit: We are considering Britbox: https://www.britbox.com/ as we enjoy British television and humor.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

We have Cox internet, Playstation Vue, and Netflix. We've had pretty good luck with that setup. Cox 22 (obviously), Fox Sports Midwest, and CBS Sports Network missing are the few drawbacks. If you use a Roku, you can download the Fox Sports Go app and get FS Midwest. That's how I get my Sporting KC fix.

Overall, it's alot better than I thought internet streaming TV would be.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        I went with Sling TV for the past year, but just recently switched back to Cox for TV. I will say we have probably the most expensive internet package, so adding TV with Cox only added about $50 a month to our bill.

A couple of things with streaming TV that bothered me; you will be on about a minute delay. Usually not a big deal but if you're watching a game, social media can tell you what happens before you see it. Also, Sling from time to time would shutdown. The app would sometimes crash and if your internet ever goes down you'll have the same problem. To me it just wasn't worth saving $10 a month for the extra hassles.
        I had the same experience when I was on Sling, though I was saving a lot more than $10/mo at the time. It was a tough tradeoff.

The worst part was lack of DVR. I started to consider building a MythTV system to solve that problem, but never did.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
          This is my favorite thing about Vue. I also have Playstation Vue and I love it. I have the medium package for $34.99/mo. Has plenty of sports channels, plus you can mark your favorite TV shows and it will save them all to the cloud and you can watch them whenever you want. It's so much better than cable and is like half the cost for comparable channels.

Edit: FURTHERMORE, all the channels are listed alphabetically instead of by channel number. That way, when someone says "Hey, the Creighton game is on FS1!", you don't have to say "What the hell channel is FS1?". You can quickly and easily find it.
          Do you have to have a Playstation to have the cloud DVR service? Is the DVR service free with any subscription?

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
            @Kung Wu:

You have the same options as the big city to the east. Affectionately called "East Goddard".
            Welcome to the neighborhood!
            All the back and forth with @SHOCKvalue: over the years made me realize that even though I was well west of the airport, I was still just a liiiittle to close to the hubris of the East side. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Do you have to have a Playstation to have the cloud DVR service? Is the DVR service free with any subscription?
              Free with all their packages. Ignore "playstation" in the name. It has nothing to do with the service. I have two Rokus and watch on ipad when outside enjoying beverages. It's the cloud, so the service could care less what device you have, they are storing your dvr choices on their servers.

Comment

Pretty much what @ArtVandalay: said. But I do have a Playstation that I play it on, but I also downloaded the Vue app on my phone and can watch something if my wife is using the TV that the Playstation is hooked up to. Only thing is you can only watch Vue on your home wifi network. Can't watch it on data or on public wifi or something.

Comment

All the back and forth with @SHOCKvalue: over the years made me realize that even though I was well west of the airport, I was still just a liiiittle to close to the hubris of the East side. :)

You mean all those years we used to sit so close at BB games you considered me east side hubris?

Comment

I've researched streaming options and believe that the two best are Playstation Vue and Hulu Live. Both have pluses and drawbacks.

Vue allows five streams, Hulu, two.
                    Vue also has a few more channels, Comedy Central and Discovery to name two. Vue also has DVR.

Hulu lets you stream anywhere, on more devices. Hulu also has a large library of movies and on demand tv. Network tv is not live, but network tv can be watched on demand. Hulu is purported to work better on Android devices than PS Vue.

Because I don't DVR anything, stream from Android tablets to Chromecast dongles, and watch tv away from home, I chose Hulu. I find I watch as much or more on demand programming as I watch live, I really like the Hulu. I sometimes wish I had Comedy Central and Discovery, but you can watch South Park, Mythbusters, Gold Rush and others On Demand.

I had Sling for well over a year and was very happy. I didn't notice how much Sling locked up until I started using Hulu and don't have any buffering or freezing issues anymore.

I had hoped and expected more from YouTube's live streaming option, but so far, their price vs. programming seems pretty disappointing. I hope it gets better.

Direct tv streaming is $60 to get all of the sports channels, I never got further than that, so I don't know how many devices can stream.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Also, I have no desire for MTV, VH1 or Spike. Estrogen TV (Hallmark, Lifetime) aren't watched in my house either.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        You mean all those years we used to sit so close at BB games you considered me east side hubris?
                        Nah, I just thought you smelled funny.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of PlayStation Vue. I highly recommend to anyone looking to cut the cord.
                          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Does anyone know how many games Cox will be broadcasting with WSUs move to the AAC? One of the main reasons Ive kept my cable up here is because time warner broadcast all the shocker games that were on cox, but now think that cox will be drastically cut in the number of games they get. Im really moving to eliminating cable as my bill just went up $11 bucks a month for no reason. Im looking at PS Vue. I see they have most of the sports networks, but want the setup that lets me watch the most Shocker games. Any thoughts?
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

@ShockerPrez: I am with you. We don't watch my television, so several months back we dropped Cox to the most basic tier but retained the largest pipe for residential internet. One bill at the new rate, with a $5 increase the second month and now another hike. There are very few industries where capitalism is broken but cable is certainly one of the few.
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

There is a way to avoid the Cox blackout in Wichita, if you start your steam on LTE instead of WiFi.
                                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                                X