Internet and TV options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet and TV options

Ok, I am moving to the Goddard area. Question (@DUShock:): What Internet and TV options are available?

The Uverse dude just happened to be installing DirectTV next door and said Uverse Internet is available but based on the distance the max speed I could get is 3 Mbps. I'm not going back to 2003!!

What other options are there? Cox? Anything else?

If I can get decent Internet, I'm thinking about just rolling with Interent + SlingTV + Prime + Netflix.

Any other services I need to look into?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Do satellite phones still work that far out west? For TV maybe Betamax?

I keed...
    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 22, 2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I'm currently going with Cox internet + Playstation Vue + Prime + Netflix and have been pretty happy with it. Hard to say if Playstation Vue or Sling TV is a better choice, but both are a bargain on price compared to cable.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Do satellite phones still work that far out west? For TV maybe Betamax?

I keed...
        I was going to reply with a long snarky response, but it was taking too long with morse code.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          I'm currently going with Cox internet + Playstation Vue + Prime + Netflix and have been pretty happy with it. Hard to say if Playstation Vue or Sling TV is a better choice, but both are a bargain on price compared to cable.
          Ahhh, Vue! I forgot about that one! I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Ahhh, Vue! I forgot about that one! I'll look into it.
            I just switched from Sling to Hulu Live beta. Along with Netflix, I'm set. Very happy with the new Hulu streaming service. The only live channel I'm missing is Comedy Central. $39.99 gives me two live streams with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, FS1, FS2, FS Midwest, Big 10 Network, SEC Network, Golf Channel, TBS, TNT, TRU TV, NBCSN, CBSSN and a bunch of other cable channels.

With Hulu's on demand library that includes Seinfeld, classic tv like Mary Tyler Moore and others, this is a powerful competitor. Hulu beta has been out less than a month, but its something to consider.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Courtesy of Hulu Popular on Variety NOTE: An updated lineup for Hulu with Live TV (as of April 27, 2018) is available here: Hulu Live TV Lineup Now Includes Nearly 600 Local Stations Across the U.S. Hulu has launched the beta version of its live TV service, stocked with more than 50 broadcast and cable channels […]

Hulu lineup at bottom of article.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                Solid lineup. Does it have a decent programming menu?

Comment

I went with Sling TV for the past year, but just recently switched back to Cox for TV. I will say we have probably the most expensive internet package, so adding TV with Cox only added about $50 a month to our bill.

A couple of things with streaming TV that bothered me; you will be on about a minute delay. Usually not a big deal but if you're watching a game, social media can tell you what happens before you see it. Also, Sling from time to time would shutdown. The app would sometimes crash and if your internet ever goes down you'll have the same problem. To me it just wasn't worth saving $10 a month for the extra hassles.

Comment

Ok, I am moving to the Goddard area. Question (@DUShock): What Internet and TV options are available?

The Uverse dude just happened to be installing DirectTV next door and said Uverse Internet is available but based on the distance the max speed I could get is 3 Mbps. I'm not going back to 2003!!

What other options are there? Cox? Anything else?

If I can get decent Internet, I'm thinking about just rolling with Interent + SlingTV + Prime + Netflix.

Any other services I need to look into?
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Last I knew, Sling limited you to one device. I get up to five with Playstation Vue. Plus it offers unlimited cloud DVR.

Comment

Solid lineup. Does it have a decent programming menu?
                        It took a couple of days to get the hang of it, but it really is pretty simple.

Comment

@Kung Wu:

You have the same options as the big city to the east. Affectionately called "East Goddard". We have Cox internet with the largest residential bandwidth. We also have Cox basic cable and subscribe to Hulu. We tried Sling during the initial sign-ups free trial period but ended up cancelling.

We loved the channel options, etc. however, as if on cue the programming would buffer around 7pm each evening. I don't mean intermittently, or occasionally, but every night. It was frustrating and we never finished the shows we were trying to watch. It didn't matter if the shows were live or replay.

Also, a lot of the sports programming (Royals & OKC Thunder mostly) were blacked out.

I see that Hulu is now offering live streaming options and we may give that upgrade a go.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                            Last I knew, Sling limited you to one device. I get up to five with Playstation Vue. Plus it offers unlimited cloud DVR.
                            This is my favorite thing about Vue. I also have Playstation Vue and I love it. I have the medium package for $34.99/mo. Has plenty of sports channels, plus you can mark your favorite TV shows and it will save them all to the cloud and you can watch them whenever you want. It's so much better than cable and is like half the cost for comparable channels.

Edit: FURTHERMORE, all the channels are listed alphabetically instead of by channel number. That way, when someone says "Hey, the Creighton game is on FS1!", you don't have to say "What the hell channel is FS1?". You can quickly and easily find it.
                            Last edited by ShockerPhi; May 23, 2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                              @Kung Wu

You have the same options as the big city to the east. Affectionately called "East Goddard". We have Cox internet with the largest residential bandwidth. We also have Cox basic cable and subscribe to Hulu. We tried Sling during the initial sign-ups free trial period but ended up cancelling.

We loved the channel options, etc. however, as if on cue the programming would buffer around 7pm each evening. I don't mean intermittently, or occasionally, but every night. It was frustrating and we never finished the shows we were trying to watch. It didn't matter if the shows were live or replay.

Also, a lot of the sports programming (Royals & OKC Thunder mostly) were blacked out.

I see that Hulu is now offering live streaming options and we may give that upgrade a go.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
                              Which Basic package, the lowest price one that has just 2-22 plus a few other assorted channels that almost no one watches? I've been itching to cut the cable (or at least circumcise it) but want to make sure we can still get Shocker basketball and the Royals.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X