The Wichita State Parking Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wichita State Parking Problem

Snapped some pictures while I was out and about after getting my IBA game tickets. In other words, these pictures are from a normal Thursday at about 10:30 AM, during what is assumedly peak usage of the WSU parking system.

All lots seen in these pictures are either "green" permit, or "green/yellow" permit, meaning spots available for common students who do not live on campus.

Distances from the approximate center of each parking lot, to the "Plaza of the Heroines" that sits roughly in the center of the WSU campus, via Google Earth:

Photo #1 - 590 yards or .34 mile
    Photo #2 - 520 yards or .29 mile
    Photo #3 - 768 yards or .43 mile

Speaking for myself, I'm a long ways from an active or athletic type, but I take my dog for a walk once a day on a route that is just a hair under a mile in length, and takes about 20-25 minutes at a typical casual walking pace. If walking less than that, split into two walks, is a big deal, then someone needs to try putting on their adult pants before doing life for the day.

I'm a bit against door dings along with various other parking lot damage niceties, plus the parking spot stalking thing never did it for me in either the time efficiency or creepiness scales, so I actually parked in the lots seen in these photos back when I was a WSU student. The extra distance added at most five minutes onto my walk each way.
    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; October 13, 2016, 12:29 PM.

Nice summary SV, and photo evidence to boot.

There was never a parking problem at WSU (or IBA for that matter). It's always been a people problem.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I always thought it was funny how people freaked out about the parking when it really isn't that bad, especially for an urban campus. One of my favorite pastimes after getting out of class was messing with the parking lot vultures. Walking up to car while they lurk behind you, act like you're going to open the door and then give them the ol' "psyche!" look and then proceed to actually walk to my car. It was fun wasting 5 minutes of their time.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Snapped some pictures while I was out and about after getting my IBA game tickets. In other words, these pictures are from a normal Thursday at about 10:30 AM, during what is assumedly peak usage of the WSU parking system.

All lots seen in these pictures are either "green" permit, or "green/yellow" permit, meaning spots available for common students who do not live on campus.

Distances from the approximate center of each parking lot, to the "Plaza of the Heroines" that sits roughly in the center of the WSU campus, via Google Earth:

Photo #1 - 590 yards or .34 mile
        Photo #2 - 520 yards or .29 mile
        Photo #3 - 768 yards or .43 mile

Speaking for myself, I'm a long ways from an active or athletic type, but I take my dog for a walk once a day on a route that is just a hair under a mile in length, and takes about 20-25 minutes at a typical casual walking pace. If walking less than that, split into two walks, is a big deal, then someone needs to try putting on their adult pants before doing life for the day.

I'm a bit against door dings along with various other parking lot damage niceties, plus the parking spot stalking thing never did it for me in either the time efficiency or creepiness scales, so I actually parked in the lots seen in these photos back when I was a WSU student. The extra distance added at most five minutes onto my walk each way.
        But what about the UNcommon students? Sheesh! :tongue-new:

Looks like these are all the lots south of 17th street, aka ShockBand's Parking Zone for basketball games, correct? And if Blake Hall is going to be unused now that KMUW is in Old Town, they could scrape it and get another couple dozen spots.

Last fall I was on campus on a Monday around 10 am, right in the middle of the peak usage with 9:30 MWF classes, and there were spots in the outer reaches on campus, just like there always were when I was in school! And, ahem, BACK IN MY DAY we didn't have shuttle buses!
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
          But what about the UNcommon students? Sheesh! :tongue-new:

Looks like these are all the lots south of 17th street, aka ShockBand's Parking Zone for basketball games, correct? And if Blake Hall is going to be unused now that KMUW is in Old Town, they could scrape it and get another couple dozen spots.

Last fall I was on campus on a Monday around 10 am, right in the middle of the peak usage with 9:30 MWF classes, and there were spots in the outer reaches on campus, just like there always were when I was in school! And, ahem, BACK IN MY DAY we didn't have shuttle buses!
          Yeah, top two are the two lots south of 17th. Bottom one is behind Eck Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Nice summary SV, and photo evidence to boot.

There was never a parking problem at WSU (or IBA for that matter). It's always been a people problem.
            Exactly. A lazy problem for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I always thought it was funny how people freaked out about the parking when it really isn't that bad, especially for an urban campus. One of my favorite pastimes after getting out of class was messing with the parking lot vultures. Walking up to car while they lurk behind you, act like you're going to open the door and then give them the ol' "psyche!" look and then proceed to actually walk to my car. It was fun wasting 5 minutes of their time.
              My favorite was going to my car to grab something, only to find a poor soul hoplessly waiting for a spot that wasn't going to open up
              The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                My favorite was going to my car to grab something, only to find a poor soul hoplessly waiting for a spot that wasn't going to open up
                Ahh... Messing with the vultures. Fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                  Lol and then get pissed and speed off. Miss those days.

Comment

Sometimes I would walk through the high demand inner lots on the way back to the #OhMuhGoshCantWalkThatFar lots where I parked. After I got to my vehicle, was in it and on the way home I would pass those same inner lots again and see the same vultures sitting around waiting for a spot. As in this happened a lot.

Critical thinking skills obviously not being taught well in some academic areas at WSU, one might logically assume.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      Critical thinking skills obviously not being taught well in some academic areas at WSU, one might logically assume.
                      Perhaps they were being taught quite well. Those who managed to make it to class were learning, those who didn't were stuck in a parking lot missing the class they desperately needed.

Comment

In the early 90's people were bitching about parking. I walked from Vassar and short of sideways rain, I rarely if ever drove. Never a problem and it appears to still be the case.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the construction on Oliver and on 17th Street will impact the flow of traffic at Shocker games this season if those streets are still blocked off.

Oliver is or has been closed to South Bound Traffice between 21st and 17th and I think 17th is or has been totallly closed off from the Oliver end. Not sure how far that extends to the West.

Comment

I should note that I have a festering resentment that the Rec fields were paved over for parking. But to be fair, when the baseball team is winning, the parking is nice.
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Lol and then get pissed and speed off. Miss those days.
                              Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                              Ahh... Messing with the vultures. Fun times.
                              Sometimes (when I was feeling especially trolly), I would just get into my car and sit there for a few minutes. Just to see how long they would wait.

Evil, I know :)
                              The Assman

Comment

Working...
                              X