Patricia, strongest hurricane ever recorded, menaces Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patricia, strongest hurricane ever recorded, menaces Mexico

Hurricane Patricia – the strongest hurricane ever recorded – made landfall on Mexico’s Pacific coast about 6:15 Friday evening (7:15 ET),

(CNN)Patricia -- the strongest hurricane ever recorded -- barreled closer and closer Friday morning to Mexico's Pacific coast, where residents have been told to brace for its 200-mph sustained winds and torrential rains.

The Miami-based meteorological center, in its 10 a.m. CT (11 a.m. ET) advisory, warned of a "potentially catastrophic landfall ... in southwestern Mexico" late that afternoon or early evening. While its strength could fluctuate, "Patricia is expected to remain an extremely dangerous Category 5 hurricane through landfall."

The pacific ocean is a little warmer due to the strong El Nino. This gives us a picture of what to expect with the oceans' temperatures rising.
    In the fast lane

Comment

hmmm......

Patricia 215 mph (1961)
      Violet 205 mph (1961)
      Ida 200 mph (1958)

Comment

I couldn't find any info on a 1961 hurricane named Patricia.
        In the fast lane

Comment

I know a lady named Patricia. She is the aunt of a very good friend of mine from school. She is and always has been a raging (insert obligatory derogatory term here). I'm fairly sure she has or will turn 54 this year.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            hmmm......

Patricia 215 mph (1961)
            Violet 205 mph (1961)
            Ida 200 mph (1958)
            Hmm is right. Where are you getting these "statistics" from?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Ida know either. But violet 'im answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Dr. Masters blog

Comment

The sky is falling!!!!!!!!! We're all going to die!!!!!!!!!

Maybe if we all held our breath we could stop man made global warming.

Hmmmm

Comment

I keep hearing that, as streets in my town are flooding at high tide with sea water. Miami is a lot worse. We are not going to all die, but it isn't funny.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                      I keep hearing that, as streets in my town are flooding at high tide with sea water. Miami is a lot worse. We are not going to all die, but it isn't funny.
                      When I was a young lad buying my first house, I saw this beautiful house at the bottom of a hill on a tree lined street. It was perfect. I wanted it. I was so proud, I sent my parents pictures of the place. My dad called me that night and have me some sage advice. He said, "Don't be a dumbass. Never buy a house at the bottom of a hill, they always flood."

I thought he was just being gruff like he could be at times. But I passed on the perfect house. Or so I thought. I later found out that the house had two sump pumps and always took on water whenever it rained. As I've grown older, I've found out that the only house that have wet basements either have poor drainage at the foundation and can be fixed with a little fill and some shovel work, or were built at the bottom of a hill.

I guess if I were to pass on my own safe advice, I'd say don't build a house at the bottom of a hill and if you have to live on the beach, build your house on stilts.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

And don't have a car. Sea water kills them as I found out after Wilma, but you will only need a boat. Several I talk to give Key West 50 years. We are expected to have a new island in the Keys. Big Pine is expected to become two islands, I guess North and South Big Pine. The ocean will be between them. I forget when that is projected, but it's sometime in this century. My advise is don't buy down here if you want to leave it to anybody. I guess where you live makes a big difference. I'm curious, how many have taken time to read and try to study both sides on this.
                        Last edited by tropicalshox; October 23, 2015, 06:50 PM.
                        In the fast lane

Comment

The lastest from Dr. Masters on Patricia. My heart goes out to the citizens of Mexico.

In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                            And don't have a car. Sea water kills them as I found out after Wilma, but you will only need a boat. Several I talk to give Key West 50 years. We are expected to have a new island in the Keys. Big Pine is expected to become two islands, I guess North and South Big Pine. The ocean will be between them. I forget when that is projected, but it's sometime in this century. My advise is don't buy down here if you want to leave it to anybody. I guess where you live makes a big difference. I'm curious, how many o have taken time to read and try to study both sides on this.
                            I have!

I don't deny climate change. I don't deny man has a role in climate change. I read the data. It just seems to me that everything that I've read, even when you look at left wing data, if you simply look at data and ignore the rhetoric, man plays a much smaller role than does the earth itself.

Bottom line, everything has consequences. Man's behavior on this earth has consequences. But we also need to consider that the earth is huge and ever changing. Moreover, the single largest creator of the greenhouse effect in the atmosphere isn't CO2, but water vapor.

So, I agree that the temperature changes on the globe. I also agree that man has a role, but I disagree in the amout of man's role, and man's ability to control this ****ing huge, living planet.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Yes on water vapor, but...

In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                              X