No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weah's boneheaded red card set the tone for the rest of the game.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      Weah's boneheaded red card set the tone for the rest of the game.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I seriously love the sport, but it's crap like that, and also the way it was covered, that drives me crazy and makes me think the sport is a joke.

There was NO harm or maliciousness in Weah's BONEHEADED action. The guy flopped and the penalty is so ridiculously severe that it changed an entire tournament. When there are real penalties and jersey's pulled on breakaways etc etc etc....this was just dumb, by Weah first, but also the sport. And the "DR" saying it was no question a red....I'm mean if that's the actual rule....whatever. It's still moronic to compare that to CP having his legs taken out from behind in a clearly malicious attack to prevent a goal. And it was the same penalty.

Does the US have a chance to advance with only 3 points? Because that's all they are going to get now.

Nevermind, only the top 2 advance. So the US is out barring a win over Uruguay or tie and Panamanian loss to Bolivia which ain't happening.

Comment

• I had to leave at halftime to watch my favorite soccer player. So ... what happened the second half? We sucked? Refs sucked? Was the game brutal like they thought it might get? I really have no clue.

Comment

• We were pretty comfortable until Weah's red card, and even a little bit afterwards as Balogun scored quite the goal.

But playing with 10 men left us in deep trouble. We're not good enough to have one of our most important players get red carded in the first half and play a man down for 70 minutes.

This of course gives fuel to the Berhalter out crowd. I don't know if his approach of bunkering down was the best with 10 men, but it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of situation. If you try to be on the front foot and get caught out in transition, you're blamed too. If one of our (normally very level-headed) players doesn't haul off and hit the Panamanian player, we likely cruise and get a draw at worst.

If we have the same or better result as Panama (as long as they don't win by two more goals than we do), we'll go through. Uruguay beating Bolivia like a drum definitely helped, so they could rest some players and get ready for the KO stage. So we have to get at least a draw because I can't imagine a world in which Bolivia beat Panama. And Uruguay look like they're not slowing down one bit.

The officiating was brutal. The Salvadorian referee did not have control of the game one bit. The one potential saving grace for us is that Carrasquilla, Panama's best player, picked up a red card for a terribly cynical tackle from behind Pulisic late on. So that could aid us a bit, but Panama are still a much better side than Bolivia.

The question for us becomes who we start in place of Weah. I actually like Reyna as more of an advanced midfielder than on the wing, but at some point, you have to get your best players on the field. So I could see Berhalter choosing to have Musah playing in midfield with Reyna on the right wing. My preference would be to have Haji Wright play on the wing and keep Reyna in midfield.
            Last edited by Kel Varnsen; 3 days ago.

Comment

• Holy Switzerland!

Comment

• Let's go Deutschland!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Holy Switzerland!
                  The Swiss carved up the defending champs. 2-0 makes it sound close. 5-0 would have been a better descriptor of the difference today.

Comment

• Cool your jets Denmark. Offside!

Comment

• Okay I am a massive fan of Germany but that handball call against Denmark is crap.

Comment

• But Musiala's goal vas sehr gut!

Comment

• Germany's second goal turned that match into a boring snoozer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            LOL at Mexico.
                            Evergreen.

Comment

Working...
                            X