Where would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you go?

You have two free round trip tickets and free hotel accommodations (comfortable lodging but not extravagant) to spend a week anywhere in the world. You also have plenty of paid vacation and taking the time off is no issue. If you have kids, real or imagined trusted relatives are available to watch them at the drop of a hat.

Where would you go?

I like beaches, so here's my list, numbers 1 and 2 are interchangeable.
    1. Santorini Island, Greece
    2. Bali (or some similar island in the South Pacific)
    3. Roatan, Honduras
    4. Myakanos, Greece
    5. Christchurch, New Zealand
    6. Perth, Australia (I have already visited Sydney)
    7. Istanbul, Turkey
    8. Florence, Italy
    9. Mount Denali, Alaska
    10. Copper Canyon, Mexico (probably too dangerous to go there, but I'd like to visit).

Comment

No specific location off the top of my head, but something in central or south america would be my choice just based on vacation time. A week vacation and anything across the pacific or atlantic cuts pretty deeply into the vacation time. As well as me personally not being a fan of long flights... at all.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        I like beaches, so here's my list, numbers 1 and 2 are interchangeable.
        1. Santorini Island, Greece
        2. Bali (or some similar island in the South Pacific)
        3. Roatan, Honduras
        4. Myakanos, Greece
        5. Christchurch, New Zealand
        6. Perth, Australia (I have already visited Sydney)
        7. Istanbul, Turkey
        8. Florence, Italy
        9. Mount Denali, Alaska
        10. Copper Canyon, Mexico (probably too dangerous to go there, but I'd like to visit).
        Charles Koch Arena
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Golf in Scotland, see Machu Picchu or see the WWII sites around the Normandy area, especially Pont du Hoc.
          One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

I'd give the tickets to a friend or family and keep my a$$ at home; I'm old, tired and feel safe at home. I'd thoroughly enjoy my morning coffee on the back porch. :)

"There's no place like home!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

1. Maui.
              2. Maui.
              3. Maui.
              9. Maui.
              10. Kauai.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                1. Maui.
                2. Maui.
                3. Maui.
                9. Maui.
                10. Kauai.
                So what you're saying is, you're a big fan of Molokai? Are you a leper? ;)

Comment

New Zealand, Ireland, St. Martin, Oregon, Up state NY,

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                    Golf in Scotland, see Machu Picchu or see the WWII sites around the Normandy area, especially Pont du Hoc.
                    Machu Picchu is very nice, however, be ready for the altitude in Cuzco, it will take your breath away. Not too many places with an elevation over 20K feet. The train to Maccu Picchu is very nice, you go downhill next to a small stream that slowly develops into a river.

I'm not a golfer, but I've been to Scotland and saw the golf course where the Johnny Walker Inn is. I think it's the one where they've played the Brittish open a few times, it's right by the sea, nestled around hills and is very pretty.

I've never been to Normandy, but I've been close - Brugges is very close. Think Belgian beer, mussles and pomfrittes and lots of chocolate. The plus side of Belgium is that most people speak multiple languages (many people speak English), the minus side is that the Belgians don't really like Americans and can be rude if they figure out you're a Yank.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      So what you're saying is, you're a big fan of Molokai? Are you a leper? ;)
                      LMAO!

Not a bad place to die.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                        Machu Picchu is very nice, however, be ready for the altitude in Cuzco, it will take your breath away. Not too many places with an elevation over 20K feet. The train to Maccu Picchu is very nice, you go downhill next to a small stream that slowly develops into a river.

I'm not a golfer, but I've been to Scotland and saw the golf course where the Johnny Walker Inn is. I think it's the one where they've played the Brittish open a few times, it's right by the sea, nestled around hills and is very pretty.

I've never been to Normandy, but I've been close - Brugges is very close. Think Belgian beer, mussles and pomfrittes and lots of chocolate. The plus side of Belgium is that most people speak multiple languages (many people speak English), the minus side is that the Belgians don't really like Americans and can be rude if they figure out you're a Yank.
                        Well, yeah. But it's only 8,000' ASL and Cuzco is 11,000 give or take.

I'm going to check Scotland and Normandy off the list next June. Going to do the Farnborough Airshow, British GP and Scotland in one trip celebrating my brothers retirement. His inlaws live in Scotland and I'm looking forward to playing his late FILs home course. It's not one of the famous courses but has a lot of sentimental attraction. During the 2 weeks I'll try to get across the channel and see the cemetery at Pont du Hoc. The sacrifices and bravery of the troops that took part in the invasion amaze me.
                        Last edited by Shoxthemonkey; July 24, 2015, 09:59 AM.
                        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Let me try again, but this time in no particular order, except for 10.

Any beach near:

1. Wailea-Makena
                          2. Kapalua
                          3. Ka'anaapali
                          4. Kapalua
                          5. Lahaina
                          6. Kahului
                          7. Paia
                          8. Kaupo
                          9. Anywhere on Maui within 20 miles of any of those.
                          10. Okay, even Hana.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                            Well, yeah. But it's only 8,000' ASL and Cuzco is 11,000 give or take.

I'm going to check Scotland and Normandy off the list next June. Going to do the Farnborough Airshow, British GP and Scotland in one trip celebrating my brothers retirement. His inlaws live in Scotland and I'm looking forward to playing his late FILs home course. It's not one of the famous courses but has a lot of sentimental attraction. During the 2 weeks I'll try to get across the channel and see the cemetery at Pont du Hoc. The sacrifices and bravery of the troops that took part in the invasion amaze me.
                            If you're a scotch fan (and have the time) go to your favorite distillery. When I went, we went up to Inverness, close to the Spey River and I toured Glenfarclas. Small, old distillery. It was very fun. They have literally dozens of distilleries on the river spread out over about a 50 mile area. It was pretty funny, to note that each distillery stamps your hand, so you can't tour more than 3 or 4 in a day (zero tolerance for drinking and driving over there). If you're a Macallan kind of guy and have the time (and can rent a car) to do the tour, get on their list. They have a several-months long waiting list. I was able to get into Glenfarclas because they are not a well known scotch (but their scotch is very good). It was an old-style distillery with the original buildings dating back from about 1830.

When you get over to Normandy, if you get to Belgium, try to see if you can tour a monestary with a brewery. I have a friend that has made trips to Orval and other assorted breweries (don't remember all of them). If you go to one of the smaller noted breweries, the waiting list for a tour can be up to six months.

Comment

No chance for Belgium, too far north, too little time. Edradour distillery will be on the agenda, it's in the family's hometown. Tulliallan is the golf course we will play. A day trip to St Andrews will happen. With the locals as guides, I'm sure I'll see much that the normal traveler doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X