2015 MLB Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    If Eaton was the first to say something, it was likely due to Ventura staring him down. Just field the damn ball, throw it to first and walk off the field. I'm not sticking up for that hot head anymore. I gave him credit for plunking Lawrie, but he's mouthed off to Trout and now this with Eaton. If he wants to lead the pitching staff like a true ace, he needs to learn when to act and when not to act.
    Clearly, Ventura is a bit of a hot-head. The veterans on the team - and most aren't much more experienced than Ventura - need to get on and stay on his butt to behave. Ventura isn't going to help the Royals at all if he goes from one suspension to the next because he can't control his mouth and his temper. Or worse yet, someone is going to get some freak injury during one of these skirmishes.

The leaders - Salvy, Hosmer, Moose, Guthrie, Gordon, Davis et. al. - need to pull the team together and decide they Royals aren't going to let these bottom-feeder teams provoke them and drag them down into some regrettable actions. I really don't think they want to be the bad boys of the AL.

I sure would like to know what the beef is between Cain and Samardzija. Cain was livid after the scrum last night.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
      You really aren't trying to make friends, in your early SN days, are you?
      If Shockernet can give me a hard time about TC not being NBA, then I harp on you about being good on the Royals with 10% of the games played. TCU was on top of the B12 for weeks.

*** Not a personal jab.
      Last edited by ShocktheHawks; April 24, 2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
        I sure would like to know what the beef is between Cain and Samardzija. Cain was livid after the scrum last night.
        Didn't Samardzija hit Cain on Opening Day? Not that it is a good reason to hold a grudge this long over that, but I think that was probably the source/start of it.
        78-65

Comment

• The KC Star article today paints a decent background.

According to Christian Colon, Samardzija was harassing Ventura during the wildcard game last year. Then he hits Cain with a fastball on opening day. Yesterday he started yelling at Colon to get off the field after he lined into an inning-ending double play (which is odd in itself since KC was going to immediately take the field). Then he goes after Cain in the scrum.

I will also soften my stance on Ventura - but only slightly - since it's not clear if Eaton said something before Ventura stared him down. Eaton's comments after the game were about respecting Ventura, so that may have been just one of those things. But Ventura does need to show some maturity, and quickly, because he's really going to be a target now.

This team has plenty of veteran presence: Gordon, Morales, Guthrie, Davis, Young, Vargas, Volquez, Infante. They need to get Ventura's attention.

It sounds like both Minnesota and Tampa Bay went through this same type of treatment the year after they burst into contention. Hopefully it will settle down as we get into May and everyone can get back to playing baseball instead of basebrawl.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            Didn't Samardzija hit Cain on Opening Day? Not that it is a good reason to hold a grudge this long over that, but I think that was probably the source/start of it.
            Yes. Oddly, it looked like Samardzija was the aggressor last night.

RS post does help paint the picture. Cain or Yost (I forget which) was quoted as saying something like, "I don't know what his deal is." regarding Samardzija.

You know, the bottom line is, all this $hit would be short-lived if the pitchers had to bat in the AL. They wouldn't be able to hide in the dugout/bullpen if they had to stand in the batter's box a few times each series. I am now an advocate for eliminating the DH. ;-)
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• FWIW, I saw an angle that clearly showed Eaton mouthed off first.

On my phone so I can't post the link.

And as far as leaders, Hosmer's comments after the game were spot on.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDover1018 View Post
                And as far as leaders, Hosmer's comments after the game were spot on.
                Trying to find his comments. What did he say?
                78-65

Comment

• Apparently the MLB Network did a long segment of this today. A co-worker described it to me. Ventura was irritated that Eaton was partially stepping out of the batters box between pitches (against the new rules to speed up the game), so Yordano quick-pitched him. That was the pitch Eaton sent up the middle, which Ventura gloved. The quick-pitch is what prompted Eaton to mouth off first. He needs to get the hell over that, because it's an accepted part of the game to keep hitters off balance. Besides, he brought that on himself.

I'm tempted to agree with letting pitchers hit to stop this stuff, but I don't want to see virtual automatic outs 3-4 times a game, or more bunts. No thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShocktheHawks View Post
                    If Shockernet can give me a hard time about TC not being NBA, then I harp on you about being good on the Royals with 10% of the games played. TCU was on top of the B12 for weeks.

*** Not a personal jab.
                    Do I look like an idiot? Obviously, I know the season is not over or anywhere close to it.

I was only pointing out that both are at the top RIGHT NOW. None of the experts picked either team to do finish near the top, so it's just fun to see both teams playing so well RIGHT NOW.

I never stated they were both going to finish with the best records in their respective leagues.
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                      Do I look like an idiot? Obviously, I know the season is not over or anywhere close to it.

I was only pointing out that both are at the top RIGHT NOW. None of the experts picked either team to do finish near the top, so it's just fun to see both teams playing so well RIGHT NOW.

I never stated they were both going to finish with the best records in their respective leagues.
                      Well you avatar is FVV so I can judge you by your looks. I said ti wasn't a personal jab. Scuse' me for siphoning the fun out of you which is common amongst there boards.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        It sounds like both Minnesota and Tampa Bay went through this same type of treatment the year after they burst into contention. Hopefully it will settle down as we get into May and everyone can get back to playing baseball instead of basebrawl.[/COLOR]
                        I agree. What I don't understand is what the White Sox are all high and mighty about?

They haven't don't anything since that a World Series in 2005. Maybe they just always have that inferiority complex going on because of the Cubs; Especially not that they are going to be better then them.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Interesting that KC is viewed as the bad boys. 17 Royals batters have been HBP, 5 by the White Sox and 5 by the Angels, yet KC pitchers have hit only 5 batters total (if I'm reading ESPN's stats correctly) which is 1 less than the Major League average at this point. Then to add, Lawrie's taking out of Escobar at second and saying Escobar was on top of the bag and their manager, Melvin, says Escobar was in the process of turning a DP were total fabrications.

Comment

• My guess is that they will lead the league the entire year in HBP.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              Interesting that KC is viewed as the bad boys. 17 Royals batters have been HBP, 5 by the White Sox and 5 by the Angels, yet KC pitchers have hit only 5 batters total (if I'm reading ESPN's stats correctly) which is 1 less than the Major League average at this point. Then to add, Lawrie's taking out of Escobar at second and saying Escobar was on top of the bag and their manager, Melvin, says Escobar was in the process of turning a DP were total fabrications.
                              Not to mention, all the other teams have gotten away with "warnings", while KC has immediately gotten the hook.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                Interesting that KC is viewed as the bad boys. 17 Royals batters have been HBP, 5 by the White Sox and 5 by the Angels, yet KC pitchers have hit only 5 batters total (if I'm reading ESPN's stats correctly) which is 1 less than the Major League average at this point. Then to add, Lawrie's taking out of Escobar at second and saying Escobar was on top of the bag and their manager, Melvin, says Escobar was in the process of turning a DP were total fabrications.
                                I think it the old adage of "he who throws the second punch gets caught". Until the league decides to send a message to other teams they are not going to tolerate this - then the royals are going to have to protect each other. They just might need to be a little more selective when they choose to respond, and the best response is to be able to point to the scoreboard.

Comment

Working...
                                X