No announcement yet.

A Call to all ShockerNetters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay everyone, here's the wrap on our efforts and again I'd like to thank everyone for their support, help and generosity over the last 2 weeks. It's indeed been a humbling experience.

First I'll share the letter I presented to Dick Vitale and forgive me for any mistakes I made:

Mr. Dick Vitale:

Please allow me the opportunity to thank you for all the work and effort you’ve put into the fight against cancer. Your passion and leadership do not go unnoticed and you are an inspiration to thousands if not millions all over the world to continue the fight against this terrible disease.

On November 26 of this year, the day before Thanksgiving, Missy Whalen lost her battle against cancer at the all too young age of 42. Missy was a huge Wichita State fan and season ticket holder. Her brother and I had become friends through our fan message board ShockerNet.com. Her passing, in conjunction with your visit to Charles Koch Arena inspired us to raise money for the V Foundation and the Missy Whalen Memorial Scholarship Fund.

In remembrance of Missy Whalen, and on behalf of ShockerNet.com and all of Shocker Nation please accept this check made out to the V Foundation in the amount of $1000. We challenge all the other fan boards of teams where you call games this year to raise a similar amount. Together we can and will defeat cancer.

Again, thank you Coach Vitale for everything you do for college basketball and especially for your fight against cancer. May God bless you and all your family and friends during this holiday season.

-------

Now for my presentation. Try as I might, I was unable to secure any kind of audience with Dick in advance, and I understand. He's swamped. So I waited in line for the book signing like everyone else. There's no need to go into every detail, but Coach was gracious while brief but his entourage were very accommodating and sincere and reassuring that he would read and respond. The guy is busy, and you could tell he was tired at the end of a long signing that he was not expecting, I promise. I was in no way disappointed. I may have been more hopeful about the possible outcome, but I was not disappointed. When he was told the amount by his assistant, he clearly was moved, stopped looked me in the eye and was extremely grateful. I still hold out a little hope that he may mention it down the road somewhere. If not, we should all be proud of what we did here.....my old basketball coach would say "Y'all done good".

I presented the check to the V Foundation for $1000 which was just a hope 2 weeks ago.

I believe I've received all the payments I'm going to receive so I will be sending the balance, in the neighborhood of $700 to the Missy Whalen Memorial Scholarship Fund later today.

If anyone else still wants to donate, and I certainly suggest that you do if you haven't already, please send any and all donations to the address and attention I posted above. Any donations I receive from here on out I will just return.

I've tried to keep up, but I'm sure I've missed a couple (@ShockerFever: I know I owe you) so if you donated, and you as of yet have NOT received a PM from me thanking you, PLEASE PM me, so that I can double check and A) make sure I have it and B) properly thank you.

Thanks again to everyone. When and if I hear directly from Dick or any of his people I will certainly forward that on.

Thanks again everyone....you're the BEST!

Doc

Comment

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 8m8 minutes ago Florida, US

@ShockerHoops: @TheVFoundation Thnx so so much - May she RIP
      Dick responding to @ShockerHoops: 's tweet.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Well as it turns out, Dick actually did mention that he got a check on the broadcast, it happened just after halftime.

Comment

Prominent Wichitan and a man whom I respect as much as anyone on this Earth, Robert Buford, gave Dick a check for $20,000.

There aren't many people, if any, better than Mr. Buford.

Comment

I'm guessing my final update here. Today I received in the mail a package from Dick Vitale with a handwritten note from Dick thanking us so much for the donation and his condolences for Missy.

An extremely nice gesture from someone so busy I think.

Thanks to everyone, and a big thank from DickieV and in his own words, GO SHOCKERS!

Comment

A little update. I'd appreciate you guys sharing with others.

And thanks to the wonderdul Doc and those Shockernetters who graciously contributed funds a couple years ago. I will never forgot that for as long as I live.

Comment

Working...
                X