A Call to all ShockerNetters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Call to all ShockerNetters

From time to time over the years we've talked about a Shocker fan that was facing a health adversity. Too often the discussion ended tragically. Thankfully not all did as our friend @Aargh: can attest to, thank God.

Normally I like to put a lot more thought and planning into things like this, but I was looking at a Shocker signed team basketball this afternoon and it hit me, and while I've thought about for a few hours, I've decided to pull the trigger and I'm asking all of you to join me if you feel as strongly as I do about the many people on this board, their friends and families, and anyone that's ever been affected by cancer.

Missy Whalen lost her battle with cancer the day before Thanksgiving. Her brother has been one of the brilliant posters here but I'm not going to name him. She was a huge Shocker fan (as is much of their family), and a season ticket holder. It turned out that I actually had done business with her many times without knowing any of this. Her tragic passing has not surprisingly been difficult for her family.

I don't have all the details worked out yet, but I'd like for the posters of this fine forum to join with me and raise money to make a donation to the V Foundation and somehow present it to Dick Vitale during his visit to Wichita. I'm not doing this for any attention just so you know (in fact I want nothing to do with it, that's for someone else) but I thought it might be a positive moment for her family to know that her memory will live forever and maybe it would raise just a little more awareness for the cause.

I'm going to try to work out the details in the next 24 hours and any assistance or input would be very much appreciated. I would like to set a goal of $1000 and I'll start it off with $250.

I appreciate any and all help from my friends here. A lot of $10 donations will add up fast. I understand if you can't and ask only that you mention it to a friend that might be able to if you cannot. With any luck, someone out there won't have to go through what the Whalen family has this year.

To everyone that at least reads this, thank you and God Bless.

Doc

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    From time to time over the years we've talked about a Shocker fan that was facing a health adversity. Too often the discussion ended tragically. Thankfully not all did as our friend @Aargh can attest to, thank God.

Normally I like to put a lot more thought and planning into things like this, but I was looking at a Shocker signed team basketball this afternoon and it hit me, and while I've thought about for a few hours, I've decided to pull the trigger and I'm asking all of you to join me if you feel as strongly as I do about the many people on this board, their friends and families, and anyone that's ever been affected by cancer.

Missy Whalen lost her battle with cancer the day before Thanksgiving. Her brother has been one of the brilliant posters here but I'm not going to name him. She was a huge Shocker fan (as is much of their family), and a season ticket holder. It turned out that I actually had done business with her many times without knowing any of this. Her tragic passing has not surprisingly been difficult for her family.

I don't have all the details worked out yet, but I'd like for the posters of this fine forum to join with me and raise money to make a donation to the V Foundation and somehow present it to Dick Vitale during his visit to Wichita. I'm not doing this for any attention just so you know (in fact I want nothing to do with it, that's for someone else) but I thought it might be a positive moment for her family to know that her memory will live forever and maybe it would raise just a little more awareness for the cause.

I'm going to try to work out the details in the next 24 hours and any assistance or input would be very much appreciated. I would like to set a goal of $1000 and I'll start it off with $250.

I appreciate any and all help from my friends here. A lot of $10 donations will add up fast. I understand if you can't and ask only that you mention it to a friend that might be able to if you cannot. With any luck, someone out there won't have to go through what the Whalen family has this year.

To everyone that at least reads this, thank you and God Bless.

Doc
    Got it. Message received. Don't know who is collecting the money but put me down for a Benjamin. Doc, you know how to get a hold of me.

Comment

Thank you my friend. I'm looking into an online site to see if it's easier and more convenient. I don't want to make this more difficult than it needs to be and I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Square accounts are nice...even can pay you on your phone.

Ive collected many a ten bucks from friends who didn't have the cash that they owed me but had a debit or credit card.

They do charge 3% though. You also need an account for the money to go to.

Comment

I can't give a lot but I will give 20.00. I went to Bishop Carroll with her and we were all saddened when we heard of her passing. Doc please send me a PM and let me know how to get you the money.

Just a little more background information that you all may be interested in. Her employer, Hutton Law Firm, has started a memorial scholarship in her name for Bishop Carroll students. The scholarship is only for BC students that are planning to attend WSU. The story is that Mark Hutton sent his kids to Kapaun and with her being a BC graduate she always gave him a hard time as we Wichita Catholics do. So when she passed he thought it was fitting to link her love of BC and WSU together and pass it on for generations to come.

Doc thanks for thinking of Missy, she obviously touched many people in her lifetime and its nice to see others doing kind acts such as this.

Comment

We used youcaring.com this summer for a friend who's son passed unexpectedly. It, as all do, charge to cover the fees of CC processor, but then only $0.30 for each transaction. This was the best site that added the lowest cost to those donating. It made it easy to do as they could use it without an additional account setup.

The other option is to work through Paypal and nominate someone in Wichita that is known to take money sent directly to them to donate. Paypal does not charge a fee, so every dollar would go toward the cause. THe downside is they must have a paypal account, and someone trustworthy responsible to make sure it gets to tue right place(not that I think this would be an issue).

Comment

I, like many have lost close family members to cancer. Bishop Carroll grad here also. Put me down for a C note too good Dr. You may still have my number. Vector

Comment

Count me in for $50. PM if you want meet up at the game tonight and I can give you cash.

Comment

I don't know any of you fellas personally. Please advise if there is a secure online way to donate established. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                    I don't know any of you fellas personally. Please advise if there is a secure online way to donate established. Thanks.
                    I'm in, just tell me what the mechanism is for donating.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

One other possible option is to set up an account at a local bank. Emprise/Intrust should work with you on this. Then everyone can simply stop by the nearest branch and make their donation. Intrust has a few more locations outside Wichita. I'm in for $25
                      -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

In loving memory of Debbie...$100.00

Comment

No offense, Doc, but you might be selling yourself short with just $1000 as your goal. We might hit that before noon today. Not only are you funny as hell and a guy with whom I have great discussions about the Shockers and about life in general, but you are a wonderfully generous and caring person. Proud to call you a friend!

I'll hook up with you later this week to give you a $20 bill.
                          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                            No offense, Doc, but you might be selling yourself short with just $1000 as your goal. We might hit that before noon today. Not only are you funny as hell and a guy with whom I have great discussions about the Shockers and about life in general, but you are a wonderfully generous and caring person. Proud to call you a friend!

I'll hook up with you later this week to give you a $20 bill.
                            The feeling is mutual. I am humbled by all the support here. I'm considering, if there is overage, donating whatever is over the $1000 to the Hutton and Hutton scholarship fund. But I'd like to know how everyone feels about that.

Comment

I'm in for fiddy!
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X