FORTRAN anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORTRAN anyone?

Anyone down with the For? Phew, muddling through it right now.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

jk it's pretty C++ ish

Comment

Bahahah! Fortran is the Aramaic of computer languages.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I was having flashbacks to my junior high days (1983-1986) I bet @ShockBand: had similar TSR-80 recollections from WJHS only a couple of years ahead of me.
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
          I was having flashbacks to my junior high days (1983-1986) I bet @ShockBand: had similar TSR-80 recollections from WJHS only a couple of years ahead of me.
          Nice profile pic!

Comment

I went through HCC and WSU's CompSci programs from '88 to '92, and even then FORTRAN was considered a mostly dead language (along with COBOL). Neither one was required and I didn't take either.

Assembler, Lisp and Prolog, however . . .

Comment

(cool (lisp)(is))

Comment

DU, I honestly can't remember which one of these I programmed on. I want to say Model III, but I seem to recall using a tape drive to store programs.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

@ShockBand: I bet you had the tape drive as the floppy version arrived a year or so ahead of my 7th grade year. We used both in class. Do you remember the modems?
                  Attached Files
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                    @ShockBand: I bet you had the tape drive as the floppy version arrived a year or so ahead of my 7th grade year. We used both in class. Do you remember the modems?
                    Unfortunately, mines a 'floppy'; that's what happens when age gets to ya'.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      (cool (lisp)(is))
                      (car ((You are a) (You are not a)))(caaar (geek loser nerd))

Comment

Fortran is still alive and kicking for large scale weather and climate models....unfortunately.

Comment

You go through school, learn MATLAB, R, IDL (what have you) and as soon as you want to do any large scale atmospheric modeling you have to use FORTRAN.

Comment

Connar Fortran. He's that transfer from KU, right?

I'm confident that we can trust HCGM to determine whether or not he is a good fit for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                              You go through school, learn MATLAB, R, IDL (what have you) and as soon as you want to do any large scale atmospheric modeling you have to use FORTRAN.
                              Math geeks just can't let it go. If you're a purist math nerd, Fortran is the shiznits. All other people -- (those that can actually get a date) -- choose something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X