Fusion anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    This is actually something that concerns me a little. It's too nebulous for me to wrap my mind around, but I think you may be right. It almost feels like it would make the world more of a utopia in regards to how it gets energy, but since energy is a HUGE source of employment and economic structure, it could make the world a very confusing place to live in. I wonder exactly how many jobs would be lost if we could get safe, renewable energy from the sun and from water. It seems to me like the only way "utopia" works is if things start becoming free. If someone monopolized solar energy and you had to pay for it, you'd have to have a job to pay for it...and there isn't a job because energy is completely renewable, 100% available, and doesn't require much "help" to get it (other than servicing the infrastructure). :) It gets murky. Am I crazy here? Someone figure this out for me and explain it.

I know this is a stupid stretch, but it's like if someone invented a teleporter. What happens to the entire travel industry...and aerospace, etc.?
    What if our cars only needed water and our homes and businesses only needed solar panels? I need to stop thinking about it because it's too big of a paradigm shift for my mind to comprehend.
    Originally posted by wufan View Post
    Oil for plastics will be around for a long, long time, but the demand would drop WAY down. A complete change in fuel resources would result in a major recession and would cripple some governments. First world countries like the US would get through it with difficulty, but some would fail completely.
    If there was a "complete change in fuel resources", this optimist thinks it would be one of the best things to happen to this economy since ... I dunno ... the railroad. The amount of innovation, manufacturing, and capitalist fortitude required to swap out the infrastructure of this country would be economically mindbogglingly awesome. New grid infrastructure (probably wireless for communications only), new automobiles, new power plants for every home, industrial, commercial building. New electrical panels to convert to 110AC until new devices were designed to run on whole-home DC, etc.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Exactly. If the ROCKEFELLERS want out of oil, oil is done on some level (it will always be relevant, but it might not be as profitable in their eyes). Either that or they are being blackmailed or they have become tragically idealistic. :) After a century in oil, I feel like they probably know about something.
      Maybe they got sick of seeing their fortunes decline as oil drops and wanted to cash out before they lose any more portfolio value?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        If there was a "complete change in fuel resources", this optimist thinks it would be one of the best things to happen to this economy since ... I dunno ... the railroad. The amount of innovation, manufacturing, and capitalist fortitude required to swap out the infrastructure of this country would be economically mindbogglingly awesome. New grid infrastructure (probably wireless for communications only), new automobiles, new power plants for every home, industrial, commercial building. New electrical panels to convert to 110AC until new devices were designed to run on whole-home DC, etc.
        That makes sense. I guess where I get all jumbled up is when I think about AFTER all that. It would definitely be a huge undertaking. I just like to entertain this fantasy where the energy sources are all in place and working well and no one has anything to do anymore except eat and watch tv :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Maybe they got sick of seeing their fortunes decline as oil drops and wanted to cash out before they lose any more portfolio value?

Nope. Not possible. That makes too much sense and I'd rather go with "because utopia is coming" :)

Just remember that I jumped in as a self proclaimed idiot here. I just think it's fun to think about but I have about as much knowledge to back it up as Creighton has athleticism.

Comment

That makes sense. I guess where I get all jumbled up is when I think about AFTER all that. It would definitely be a huge undertaking. I just like to entertain this fantasy where the energy sources are all in place and working well and no one has anything to do anymore except eat and watch tv :)
            There would be entire new industries opening up. First and foremost the robotics industry would take a giant leap forward with abundant free energy. The limitations of batteries is surprisingly constraining currently -- those constraints would go away making some things you have imagined and some things you haven't realistic. Even space travel would become available to the common man.

Comment

Just remember that I jumped in as a self proclaimed idiot here. I just think it's fun to think about but I have about as much knowledge to back it up as Creighton has athleticism.
              Hey, whoa -- don't sell yourself THAT short! I mean I get self-defeating humor and all, but that's just masochistic. :)

Comment

Kung wu likes to parse my comments and picks and chooses the ones he wants to argue about, especially seeing as he totally skipped over my comments on solar.

Kung wu's done lost his loose screw. And now he's doubling down on crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                  Kung wu likes to parse my comments and picks and chooses the ones he wants to argue about, especially seeing as he totally skipped over my comments on solar.

Kung wu's done lost his loose screw. And now he's doubling down on crazy.
                  Kung Wu kicks ass.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

So says the guy who violates hipaa guidelines by discussing patient information on a blog. You do know you're violating HIPAA guidelines when you discuss confidential patient information, didn't you, Jethro?

Comment

So says the guy who violates hipaa guidelines by discussing patient information on a blog. You do know you're violating HIPAA guidelines when you discuss confidential patient information, didn't you, Jethro?
                      Okay smart ass...he didn't violate HIPAA unless he mentioned the patient by name. It is perfectly acceptable to discuss medical cases so long as the patients confidentiality is maintained.

Is that your MO? Post BS from a scam, and then when you get called out on it, you retaliate with false accusations?
                      Livin the dream

Comment

The Innovation Campus needs to jump in on the bottom floor on this new economy.

Comment

Wufan, your dogs are smarter than you are. I bet that makes you proud.

- information was disclosed here prior to the media disclosing it.
                          - Im betting Movalleyjohnjohn did not have written authorization to discuss the case. That's probably at least an internal (I.e. Hospital) violation of their code of conduct.
                          - please tell us how you became an expert in HIPAA compliance. Bet you've never taken the course. It's required for all business partners and organizations that share or exchange info with HHS.

His lack of discretion is both a reflection on his poor character and also shows a lack of judgment. Posting this in a public forum compounds the lapse of judgment. I would hold that the same rules apply to business plans and accounting information for publically traded firms prior to release to analysts.

"Loose lips sink ships."
                          Last edited by shocka khan; October 19, 2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Wufan, your dogs are smarter than you are. I bet that makes you proud.

- information was disclosed here prior to the media disclosing it.
                            - Im betting Movalleyjohnjohn did not have written authorization to discuss the case. That's probably at least an internal (I.e. Hospital) violation of their code of conduct.
                            - please tell us how you became an expert in HIPAA compliance. Bet you've never taken the course. It's required for all business partners and organizations that share or exchange info with HHS.

His lack of discretion is both a reflection on his poor character and also shows a lack of judgment. Posting this in a public forum compounds the lapse of judgment. I would hold that the same rules apply to business plans and accounting information for publically traded firms prior to release to analysts.

"Loose lips sink ships."
                            You bet wrong. When I was practicing medicine, I had a few HR trainings. My wife still practices. It is 100% not a violation of HIPAA code to discuss medical cases, nor am I aware of any hospitals that preclude anyone from publicly discussing medical cases so long as the name is not disclosed.

I believe the accreditation you speak of is only required if you are requesting medical records. I doubt John was reading or requesting them.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

I want to apologize. I should not have singled you out for unwittingly getting excited about a scam. It's an easy one to fall for, and MANY people -- even in the science community -- have fallen for cold fusion scandals in the past. I should have just pointed it out for the scandal it is and not given you grief. I shouldn't have derailed this thread with that nonsense.

You do know you're violating HIPAA guidelines when you discuss confidential patient information, didn't you, Jethro?
                              Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              he didn't violate HIPAA unless he mentioned the patient by name. It is perfectly acceptable to discuss medical cases so long as the patients confidentiality is maintained.
                              @MoValley John: definitely did not violate HIPAA. HIPAA applies to health care providers, healthcare plans, healthcare clearinghouses, and vendors that ship PHI (personal healthcare information).

Comment

Capture.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X