Fusion anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion anyone?

Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready for use in a decade.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

This teenager built a fusion reactor when he was only 14.

Comment

If that works, it changes everything we know about energy production and usage. The fuel source is water. The output is helium, oxygen, and energy.Lots and lots of energy for the water used.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

How pissed is the middle east going to be?

Comment

I'll get excited once they have actually produced a working prototype or even publishes a scientific paper about their tech.

Although Lockheed Martin issued a press release stating that they have several pending patents for their approach, they have yet to publish any scientific papers on this latest work.
          "It's really great that Lockheed has taken an interest in this important challenge of providing carbon-free energy to the world," Michael Zarnstorff, deputy director for research at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, told Business Insider in an email. "We haven't seen any results from the Lockheed experiments but the design is an interesting concept and it looks like they are at a very early stage of exploring this configuration."
          While Zarnstorff remains optimistic, others are not ready to believe the hype.
          Swadesh M. Mahajan, a thermonuclear plasma physicist at the University of Texas, told Mother Jones reporter James West that there were many reasons to be skeptical of the announcement. Specifically, "we know of no materials that would be able to handle anywhere near that amount of heat," for a device as small as Lockheed is proposing.
          As of now, Lockheed's results are purely theoretical so it's hard to know whether they will work in reality, Rose Reed, an assistant professor of physics at Wayne State University and researcher at the Large Hadron Collider, told Mother Jones.
          When asked if the concept of Lockheed's new design is in any way unique or novel, Zarnstorff told Business Insider that it was too early to tell.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

you dont believe in any of this cold fusion mumbo jumbo do ya?

Comment

The Europeans have tested a smaller cold-fusion reactor, independent study was over 32 days and details are here:
              Andrea Rossi's E-Cat -- the device that purports to use cold fusion to generate massive amounts of cheap, green energy -- has been verified by third-party researchers, according to a new 54-page report. The researchers observed a small E-Cat over 32 days, where it produced net energy of 1.5 megawatt-hours, or 'far more than can be obtained from any known chemical sources in the small reactor volume.'

Maybe this is related to the Rockefeller foundation sell-off of oil stocks?

PS: I have also noted a similar article regarding solar power and that we will soon have major breakthroughs there:

There’s a whopper of a story, with global significance, that is suddenly dawning on a lot of people who pay attention to the energy markets. Solar-generated electricity has fallen so dramatically …

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                The Europeans have tested a smaller cold-fusion reactor, independent study was over 32 days and details are here:
                Andrea Rossi's E-Cat -- the device that purports to use cold fusion to generate massive amounts of cheap, green energy -- has been verified by third-party researchers, according to a new 54-page report. The researchers observed a small E-Cat over 32 days, where it produced net energy of 1.5 megawatt-hours, or 'far more than can be obtained from any known chemical sources in the small reactor volume.'

PS: I have also noted a similar article regarding solar power and that we will soon have major breakthroughs there:

http://www.timberjay.com/stories/Sol...ng-point,11594
                If we ever do tap into some of these resources in a significant way, it's going to be absolutely amazing to watch what happens to the world. I have no idea what it will even look like. It's hard to fathom.

Comment

http://www.timberjay.com/stories/Sol...ng-point,11594
                  I had the exact same thoughts about the Rockefellers. A group this deep in the oil business doesn't just dump their oil position for environmental reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I had the exact same thoughts about the Rockefellers. A group this deep in the oil business doesn't just dump their oil position for environmental reasons.
                    Exactly. If the ROCKEFELLERS want out of oil, oil is done on some level (it will always be relevant, but it might not be as profitable in their eyes). Either that or they are being blackmailed or they have become tragically idealistic. :) After a century in oil, I feel like they probably know about something.

Comment

Oil for plastics will be around for a long, long time, but the demand would drop WAY down. A complete change in fuel resources would result in a major recession and would cripple some governments. First world countries like the US would get through it with difficulty, but some would fail completely.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        Oil for plastics will be around for a long, long time, but the demand would drop WAY down. A complete change in fuel resources would result in a major recession and would cripple some governments. First world countries like the US would get through it with difficulty, but some would fail completely.
                        This is actually something that concerns me a little. It's too nebulous for me to wrap my mind around, but I think you may be right. It almost feels like it would make the world more of a utopia in regards to how it gets energy, but since energy is a HUGE source of employment and economic structure, it could make the world a very confusing place to live in. I wonder exactly how many jobs would be lost if we could get safe, renewable energy from the sun and from water. It seems to me like the only way "utopia" works is if things start becoming free. If someone monopolized solar energy and you had to pay for it, you'd have to have a job to pay for it...and there isn't a job because energy is completely renewable, 100% available, and doesn't require much "help" to get it (other than servicing the infrastructure). :) It gets murky. Am I crazy here? Someone figure this out for me and explain it.

I know this is a stupid stretch, but it's like if someone invented a teleporter. What happens to the entire travel industry...and aerospace, etc.?
                        What if our cars only needed water and our homes and businesses only needed solar panels? I need to stop thinking about it because it's too big of a paradigm shift for my mind to comprehend.
                        Last edited by Dave Stalwart; October 17, 2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                          This is actually something that concerns me a little. It's too nebulous for me to wrap my mind around, but I think you may be right. It almost feels like it would make the world more of a utopia in regards to how it gets energy, but since energy is a HUGE source of employment and economic structure, it could make the world a very confusing place to live in. I wonder exactly how many jobs would be lost if we could get safe, renewable energy from the sun and from water. It seems to me like the only way "utopia" works is if things start becoming free. If someone monopolized solar energy and you had to pay for it, you'd have to have a job to pay for it...and there isn't a job because energy is completely renewable, 100% available, and doesn't require much "help" to get it (other than servicing the infrastructure). :) It gets murky. Am I crazy here? Someone figure this out for me and explain it.

I know this is a stupid stretch, but it's like if someone invented a teleporter. What happens to the entire travel industry...and aerospace, etc. What if our cars only needed water and our homes and businesses only needed solar panels? I need to stop thinking about it because it's too big of a paradigm shift for my mind to comprehend.
                          Eventually, the industry would simply shift from oil to other renewable energy and we'd continue to live in a capitalistic society. The national power would shift to the first world in a big way though as tech and infrastructure would be huge for 50 years.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post

I know this is a stupid stretch, but it's like if someone invented a teleporter. What happens to the entire travel industry...and aerospace, etc.?
                            What if our cars only needed water and our homes and businesses only needed solar panels? I need to stop thinking about it because it's too big of a paradigm shift for my mind to comprehend.
                            I'd worry about the same thing, but then I realize some people have their careers based on social media skills.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Good Lord, Koo Koo. I recommend you invest every single dollar you can in that "company" with this unbelievable invention that burns at a million times the energy levels of gasoline which doesn't spew out gamma rays that would make the Incredible Hulk look like Bill Gates -- yet for some reason they just can't get a product to ship out.

My guess is this "independent study" was done by the same people that verified NOAA's "adjusted" weather data that proves anthropogenic global warming.

This scam says this under their primary product page:

Production & Manufacturing plans are under way 2013. Current delivery time is estimated to four months.
                              [source]

Uhhh, where can I order the product -- it's October 2014? Oh, I can't .. I just have to prepay like the rest of the suckers to get on the waiting list, right?

Maybe Andrea Rossi is in prison and unable to update his website?

HOLY CRAP ... I was just making a joke but decided to Google this dude and he DID IN FACT spend 4 years in prison for tax fraud and dumping toxic waste in another scam which didn't produce what he claimed it would.

Come on Koo Koo, I know you are a liberal goon that probably sucks on the anthropogenic global warming pacifier all day long but I didn't think you were this big of a sucker.

Where's that eye rolling icon when you need it?
                              Last edited by Kung Wu; October 17, 2014, 09:36 PM.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X