Apple Event: iPhone 6 (and 6 Plus) & Apple Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Event: iPhone 6 (and 6 Plus) & Apple Watch

What do you all think of the new Apple products announced today?

I'd say it was probably the best event since Steve Jobs passed away. (There is just no replacing him)
    The Assman

I agree.

I want the watch, the fitness tracking features being the biggest reason.

I'm seeing the usual backlash from people on the forums.

Comment

I am not an Apple or Jobs fan but the iWatch should be a hit. Increasing the size of the iPhone is critical to its survival. Seems like the company should get a nice boost out of this.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It's gonna be rough going to work on Friday morning, after staying up til about 2:30.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I like the looks and idea of the apple watch but $349 for a watch is a little much for your average consumer.

Comment

So Apple once again copies what Samsung has been doing for years- and like clockwork, the masses drool. Amazing what cult branding can do.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              So Apple once again copies what Samsung has been doing for years- and like clockwork, the masses drool. Amazing what cult branding can do.
              I think it's about integration and reliability. Innovative products from non-Apple companies are hit and miss and can be a real disaster. Apple just works. The gap is quickly closing however, but the brand will carry the products, for a while at least, even if the innovation and vision previously seen isn't there.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                I think it's about integration and reliability. Innovative products from non-Apple companies are hit and miss and can be a real disaster. Apple just works. The gap is quickly closing however, but the brand will carry the products, for a while at least, even if the innovation and vision previously seen isn't there.
                I would agree. Apple is dependable. At the same time, Apple is Apple and you are extremely limited on customization. With Apple, you get Apple. Just like Henry Ford said, "You can get it in any color you like, as long as it's black."

Samsung products are equally dependable. Samsung phones have been knocked as "looking cheap" but at the same time are the most reliable and fastest handsets on the market. If you look at the specs of the Note 3, you simply shake your head. Amazing, and this has been out for a year! The strength of Android is also its weakness, products range from amazing to crap, but that is the world of open source. Then again, with Android, you have choice.

I own both Android and Apple products, two iPads and counting my kids devices, four Android phones. I refuse to buy into the cult of either product.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I've owned one android phone which was a samsung I dont remember which one though. it was not the S series though. At that point that was my first foray into the smart phone hoopla and promptly 2 years later with my upgrade I went with the iPhone 4s.

I dont need alot of customization. Hell to be honest I dont really need a smartphone. However I absolutely LOVE my macbook and the compatability between the two is so beyond money for me. I thought about going with the Nexus 5 phone as I had a hook up but decided against it at the last second.

is Apple lagging behind Android? probably the customization and third party apps and all is pretty cool. But when I worked at TMO I used to get calls all the time from samsung users complaining about viruses etc. I have nver had to worry about that on my Apple products. pros/cons.

Comment

I am an iPhone user for the simple reason that they are a widely used product - almost generic in some ways - that is generally easy to use and reliable. I think that is the case with a lot of Apple users. It is the Toyota Camry of the cell phone world. Utilitarian, and performs as designed.

I shake my head in sheer wonderment at that portion of the android crowd who pores over specs and wants to trash talk about cell phones. What's next, nail clippers? Does android user want to tell me about how his nail clippers are Teflon coated and also double as a nose hair trimmer?

I don't know about the rest of you, but in my life freaking cell phones don't come close to generating a reading on my "do I give a damn" meter. When it comes time to re-up I will probably buy a new-fangled iPhone 6. I will be enamored with thing for all of 36 hours after purchase, and then it will quickly melt into the background of my existence much like other tools of daily life - such as a new toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                      I've owned one android phone which was a samsung I dont remember which one though. it was not the S series though. At that point that was my first foray into the smart phone hoopla and promptly 2 years later with my upgrade I went with the iPhone 4s.

I dont need alot of customization. Hell to be honest I dont really need a smartphone. However I absolutely LOVE my macbook and the compatability between the two is so beyond money for me. I thought about going with the Nexus 5 phone as I had a hook up but decided against it at the last second.

is Apple lagging behind Android? probably the customization and third party apps and all is pretty cool. But when I worked at TMO I used to get calls all the time from samsung users complaining about viruses etc. I have nver had to worry about that on my Apple products. pros/cons.
                      I have never had a virus on anything but a pc. I customize a lot. I also root every Android device. Apple products do work very smoothly together. So we'll that I've caught my iPads humping in the living room. On the other hand, Apple products do not play well with non Apple products. Once you get an iPhone, Apple owns you. The iPhone works with iTunes which is optimized on a mac which networks best with an Airport. So on and so on. All of which are grossly overpriced. I really like my iPads but will be very careful before I drink the Apple Koolaide.

Also, Android beat Apple to the market on wearables. Plus, Android watches do not need to be paired with another device. They can be paired, even with Microsoft, but not necessary. Apple watches require iPhone. People go nuts and drool over being told that there's more Apple **** they have to buy.
                      Last edited by MoValley John; September 10, 2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        I shake my head in sheer wonderment at that portion of the android crowd who pores over specs and wants to trash talk about cell phones. What's next, nail clippers? Does android user want to tell me about how his nail clippers are Teflon coated and also double as a nose hair trimmer?
                        Yes! This drives me crazy and is one of the things that got me off Android. I've known a lot of people who do this and generally spew irrational hate for Apple.. People calling all Apple users idiots, and wishing the company would die. One of the reasons I got an iPhone was because I knew it would piss off a friend, but as it turns out I liked the platform infinitely better.

Disclaimer: Professionally, I am a Linux software developer, and I don't care much for Android. Part of that might be that I deal with enough technical stuff at work that I just want my phone to work effortlessly at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                          I have never had a virus on anything but a pc. I customize a lot. I also root every Android device. Apple products do work very smoothly together. So we'll that I've caught my iPads humping in the living room. On the other hand, Apple products do not play well with non Apple products. Once you get an iPhone, Apple owns you. The iPhone works with iTunes which is optimized on a mac which networks best with an Airport. So on and so on. All of which are grossly overpriced. I really like my iPads but will be very careful before I drink the Apple Koolaide.

Also, Android beat Apple to the market on wearables. Plus, Android watches do not need to be paired with another device. They can be paired, even with Microsoft, but not necessary. Apple watches require iPhone. People go nuts and drool over being told that there's more Apple **** they have to buy.
                          Oh I agree. Part of the reason for not going with the Nexus is the fact that it wouldnt mesh well with the mac/itunes. it was just easier to say screw it. I like my iphone. its easy to use but its not the greatest thing in the world, but its right for me. I havent gone as far as to get a tablet even though my son has one through his school. I guess you could say I'm not a tablet fan even though i can recognize uses for them. Again, My macbook is one of the best purchases I made. I initially held off due to price and the 'well ive always been a PC guy" but the thing is so easy to use and runs so smoothly. i do misse Windows Media Player though.

Originally posted by ShockerEngineer View Post
                          Yes! This drives me crazy and is one of the things that got me off Android. I've known a lot of people who do this and generally spew irrational hate for Apple.. People calling all Apple users idiots, and wishing the company would die. One of the reasons I got an iPhone was because I knew it would piss off a friend, but as it turns out I liked the platform infinitely better.

Disclaimer: Professionally, I am a Linux software developer, and I don't care much for Android. Part of that might be that I deal with enough technical stuff at work that I just want my phone to work effortlessly at the end of the day.
                          It goes both ways. Another forum I visit already has about a 75 page forum since the keynote was announced debating back and forth. Yes I recognize that Apple is behind on many features. Im really looking forward to wi-fi calling and voLTE with the new IOS. I get horrible reception at my house (with both Verizon and T-Mobile) so having this will be so great. Well primarily the wifi calling with the voLTE helping elsewhere. I prefer the platform but I dont need most of the stuff Android offers and IOS for that matter.

Theres no way in hell Im buying that watch even though it would be nice.

Comment

I'll probably get the watch. I'll have to wait for all of the information including the price points, rather than just the "starting price" in order to make the decision though.

My friend that I knew I'd piss off by getting an iPhone.. Every time he talks about something Apple released, he always regurgitates the whole "Apple is playing catch up" thing, which I find to be a dumb statement. Don't you think if Apple wanted to play the "who has the flashiest specs and most gimmicky features" game, they would? It's just not the approach that they take. For example, they obviously waited to add NFC, because they wanted the entire payment platform set up, deals in place, etc, before doing that.

Comment

I will get both. My iphone capacity is full so I need to upgrade to 64g and I really like the iWatch concept - now I can get rid of clunky watch and my up24 band that fails ever 3-4 months. The apple pay system is interesting if it is secure and is useable (I liked passbook theory, but it never really has had widespread adoption with vendors).

Personally, the whole apple eco-system works for me - if that makes me a fan boy so be it - I am un-ashamed.

Comment

Working...
                              X