2014 Ryder Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Ryder Cup

The 2014 Ryder Cup is being played Sept 23-28 in Scotland. One of my favorite golf events.

One of my all-time favorites and a Midwestern boy, Tom Watson, is this year's team captain for the USA.

Not sure who Tom will pick has his Captain's choices, but gee whiz Tiger, don't you think you should at least be able to beat your 65 year old captain in a major championship to be considered?
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 21, 2014, 06:51 PM.

The American professional golf scene is enamored with Eldrick, and has been since he came on the radar. He does not deserve to be on the team for this competition. It's not like his record (13-14-2) speaks to his automatic selection. He is pedestrian at best. If he goes on a tear and earns his way by the point system, so be it. I like the new generation of players on the American side. Give me Bubba, Kutcher, Simpson, Dufner, Speith, DJ, Fowler, etc...If Eldrick is to be in Scotland, let him earn it Mr. Watson.

Comment

Well there are 10 autos and 2 captain's picks, yes?

Correction, nine and 3 captain's picks.

Current standings.

Comment

How about a poll?

Tell me who you'd like to include from this list, and I'll make a poll and we'll see how it compares to Tom's selections. Obviously the PGA is going to have some say in the standings.

I would consider Tiger, Phil, Ryan Moore and Keegan Bradley near the top of my list. Tiger certainly needs to show well at the PGA to be considered.

Comment

I'm not sure I could make a real intelligent pick. Is that Gleneagles a links style course? I suppose you have to try to figure out whose game fits that course the best as well as who is playing the best currently. I suppose a certain temperament is best suited for Ryder Cup play although I could not say who fills that bill either.

Can we pick Rory McIlroy?

I'm just pulling for Captain Tom to lead our guys to victory.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
            The American professional golf scene is enamored with Eldrick, and has been since he came on the radar. He does not deserve to be on the team for this competition. It's not like his record (13-14-2) speaks to his automatic selection. He is pedestrian at best. If he goes on a tear and earns his way by the point system, so be it. I like the new generation of players on the American side. Give me Bubba, Kutcher, Simpson, Dufner, Speith, DJ, Fowler, etc...If Eldrick is to be in Scotland, let him earn it Mr. Watson.
            Maybe he'll select you, and you can help me sneak in some brewskies and get a good spot at hole 18?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Maybe he'll select you, and you can help me sneak in some brewskies and get a good spot at hole 18?
              I appreciate the love KW...but my vote goes to a guy who I promise will play well in Scotland...his name...Johnnie Walker...a very distant cousin of Jimmy, who is guaranteed to make the team. I have a good feeling about this...that's all I'm going to say.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                How about a poll?

Tell me who you'd like to include from this list,Obviously the PGA is going to have some say in the standings.
                Just to clarify...you mean the PGA Championship rather than PGA of America?

Comment

How about a poll?

Tell me who you'd like to include from this list, and I'll make a poll and we'll see how it compares to Tom's selections. Obviously the PGA is going to have some say in the standings.

I would consider Tiger, Phil, Ryan Moore and Keegan Bradley near the top of my list. Tiger certainly needs to show well at the PGA to be considered.
                  I only claim to be a golf expert in my own mind. With that said, I believe the following 7 players as locks based on points: Bubba, Jimmy Walker, Rickie Fowler, Jim Furyk, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith and Matt Kuchar (Jason Dufner & Zach Johnson are currently 8-9 on the list).

I'm cold on Dufner. He has plummeted in the standings over the past six months. Although he finished 2nd at the Colonial, he has been very inconsistent this year and has missed 2 of the last 3 cuts. His trend is going in the wrong direction.

I am a very big Zach Johnson fan in general (even though he played at Drake). Like Dufner, He began the year high in the standings. His game is certainly getting better over the past few weeks and would add a lot to the team room.

Phil Mickelson is my favorite player on tour. He is currently 11th in the standings. If he doesn't finish in the top-9 for an auto pick, but is still 10-12, he has to be picked.

Patrick Reed is currently 10th. He is one of many young players that I believe will make a significant impact going forward. He has 3 wins in the past year. He is tenacious and a fine match play competitor. Book it Dano!!!

12-14 in the standings are Brendon Todd, Chris Kirk and Ryan Moore. Todd has had a good last couple of months with a win and another high finish. I like Moore...more (no pun intended) for his brilliant match play record as an amateur.

My hope is Webb Simpson and Keegan Bradley (15,16 in the standings) have a good next few weeks through the PGA Championship. They actually play well together and have international competition experience.

Other than the fore mentioned players, Tiger will be on everyone's lips. He is no where in sight within the standings (to his defense, his recovery from back surgery has prohibited him from securing points). Tiger would have to play well at Firestone and the PGA for me to fairly consider him. I think he has to prove his game is trending up. I hope Captain Watson is brave enough to leave him off if he isn't playing well.

Comment

Patrick Reed is currently 10th. He is one of many young players that I believe will make a significant impact going forward. He has 3 wins in the past year. He is tenacious and a fine match play competitor. Book it Dano!!!
                    Talk about trending the wrong way....Missed 6 of the last 11 cuts and nothing special at all when the lights are brightest...2 missed cuts and a T35 in the 3 majors. Say what you want about Tiger's RC record, and I won't argue he's been less than stellar at a minimum, but he's still Tiger. I just can't see Patrick as an at large. I do agree completely with you about Phil. If he's upright, he needs to be on the team, preferably with Bradley who jump started him at the last event (President's Cup?).
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; July 22, 2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify...you mean the PGA Championship rather than PGA of America?
                      Correct.

Comment

Talk about trending the wrong way....Missed 6 of the last 11 cuts and nothing special at all when the lights are brightest...2 missed cuts and a T35 in the 3 majors. Say what you want about Tiger's RC record, and I won't argue he's been less than stellar at a minimum, but he's still Tiger. I just can't see Patrick as an at large. I do agree completely with you about Phil. If he's upright, he needs to be on the team, preferably with Bradley who jump started him at the last event (President's Cup?).
                        I give Patrick a bit of a break in the past couple of months. His wife just gave birth to their first child prior to the US Open. We all remember what that is like leading up and immediately after our first little WU Shock entering the world. One of his three wins was in a pretty bright stage...a WGC event back in March. I think by Ryder Cup time he shines.

Comment

This just in...Dustin Johnson announced he will step away from the PGA TOUR, which will include the Ryder Cup, to work on personal issues. Because he was 5th in the Ryder Cup standings, DJ was assured of a spot on captain Watson's team. With that said, the PGA of America announced the 10th place player in the standings after the PGA Championship next week will take DJ's spot. That will still leave Watson with 3 captains choice selections. I hope Dustin takes care of his personal issues. He seems like a good guy.

Comment

The word from a 3rd hand source (former PGA touring pro) was that Johnson and Gretzky's daughter liked to get a little freaky naughty with the nose candy. Been going on a while. Hope the kid can straighten out his life.

Comment

We will nevertheless know if captain Watson would have chosen Tiger. Eldridge just WD at Firestone. Back issue I think. Phil tearing it up (in a good way) in the final round. Phil will be on this team come hell or high water. Book it Dano!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X