Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar roadways

http://trendinghot.net/invention-wil...ld-just-watch/ amazing
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
    Cool. Great for parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, residential side streets, and the such, but not that in to it for roadways. I could see where "hacking" could be a real problem with fast moving traffic.

Comment

So how well do they do if someone has to make a sudden stop? Would they have the same coefficient of friction that a regular asphalt road would have?

And how often would they have to change them? I'm sure there would be a lot of skid marks and other things on the panels.

Comment

I bet it is too expensive right now but it is an interesting concept.

Comment

Well now that there are solar panels down there, let's throw some inductive coils below them and use Lenz's Law so that we can hover down the road.

(No, there would not be enough power most likely to make this realistic).
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I saw a video on this last week, so I didn't read the article in the OP. But the surface above the panels are made of tempered glass with raised "bumps", which I assume would provide the necessary friction for stopping and be easier to replace than one of the panels.

I have my doubts as to whether it will pay for itself or provide a net increase in jobs over traditional road construction. If the panel manufacturing ends up going overseas - like most electronics do - it will be a job-killer.

Comment

I'd be interested to know how expansion is dealt with, as well as, cost. What is the lane mile cost vs. asphalt and concrete?
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Right.

LOVE to see a cost of construction per SF for a "FREAKING SOLAR ROADWAY" versus asphalt or concrete. Will make that road the Ruskies just built up to the ski slopes for their winter Olympics look like a wagon trail - cost wise.

Math is just not some peoples' strong suit when it comes to feasibility. Generally, we call these types "liberals" or "democrats".

Comment

You cant judge the cost based solely on the initial cost. The key would be when, if ever, would the benefit of producing electricity out weigh the cost of initial construction vs the cost of construction with asphalt or concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                    You cant judge the cost based solely on the initial cost. The key would be when, if ever, would the benefit of producing electricity out weigh the cost of initial construction vs the cost of construction with asphalt or concrete.
                    Do you realize what you are saying?

I hope I am LONG GONE from this earth before the irrational enviro-nutties have contributed to getting my electric bill to that threshold.

The answer to your query is essentially never - in a world where the market and electrical sources are allowed to develop naturally. Unfortunately, as long as we have people setting economic policy who would straight-up flunk an Econ 101 class from the Barton School of Business your suggestion is actually the better predictor of the coming end game.

Comment

Let's just start with:

1 each hexapod is 1 sq yard
                      Each hexapod costs $50 to manufacture wholesale (in very large quantities).
                      There are 1760 yards to a mile.
                      The minimum width of a single highway lane is 12 feet in the U.S.

Comment

I found a link that gives lane mile estimates. If solar is in the ballpark, I'd really be interested in seeing it tested. Then again, how do we know anything about upkeep, durability or lifespan. The only way to find out is by testing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...67720277,d.aWw
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Well now that there are solar panels down there, let's throw some inductive coils below them and use Lenz's Law so that we can hover down the road.

(No, there would not be enough power most likely to make this realistic).
                          I was juuuusttt thinking about this possibility today. No joke
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                            I was juuuusttt thinking about this possibility today. No joke
                            I am currently reading more about this solar road deal, and a few wonks have discussed this. OTOH, the more I read, the more I see even liberals shying away due to cost. I had to dig far and wide to find any cost estimates, they aren't very forthcoming with the information. What I did find was each panel costs about $7,000 and in 2006 $'s, we are looking at more than $56 trillion in cost of panels alone. That does not include any construction costs. I still would like to see a small test on this. If two residential blocks in a dozen or so cities showed promise, a slow expansion may be in order. If it doesn't work, well, we tried.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              I am currently reading more about this solar road deal, and a few wonks have discussed this. OTOH, the more I read, the more I see even liberals shying away due to cost. I had to dig far and wide to find any cost estimates, they aren't very forthcoming with the information. What I did find was each panel costs about $7,000 and in 2006 $'s, we are looking at more than $56 trillion in cost of panels alone. That does not include any construction costs. I still would like to see a small test on this. If two residential blocks in a dozen or so cities showed promise, a slow expansion may be in order. If it doesn't work, well, we tried.
                              At $7,000 per panel, if you have a 24 wide road that would come to $42,000 per yard. Depending on location there are 8 to 20 blocks to a mile. Let's roll with 10.

1760 yards / 10 blocks = 176 yards / block. 2 blocks x 176 yards / block = 352 yards.

352 yards * $42,000 = $14,784,000 for 2 blocks of solar freaking panels.

And that doesn't include preparation (level and grade the earth, put down substrate, grade ditches, install culverts, etc) or installation of the panels. Nor does it include the cost of the concrete chases and equipment, or the construction and installation of that equipment, that have to run down the side of the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X