No announcement yet.

Potential Drought Relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dofo, are you about ready for some sunshine? TGIT!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• We are expecting 3-5" of rain overnight. We were swamped with rain this morning as well. We'd be glad to ship you some water if Dofo's pond is still empty.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• On another note, my tomato plants look fantastic!!!!
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I would say that God has put a dent in the drought rating for our region.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Can any of our resident weather experts tell me what I saw on the radar last night when the storms were forming?

On radar, you could clearly see the cold front around Hutch, Newton, etc. However, nothing was forming along that line. However, I noticed another line behind this line moving quickly toward it. As soon as the second line caught up to the original one, storms fired quickly. Noticed the same thing in western KS. What was the difference in these 2 lines (just small moisture lines barely showing up on radar)?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
              Can any of our resident weather experts tell me what I saw on the radar last night when the storms were forming?

On radar, you could clearly see the cold front around Hutch, Newton, etc. However, nothing was forming along that line. However, I noticed another line behind this line moving quickly toward it. As soon as the second line caught up to the original one, storms fired quickly. Noticed the same thing in western KS. What was the difference in these 2 lines (just small moisture lines barely showing up on radar)?
              Maybe one was a gust front.

Comment

Can any of our resident weather experts tell me what I saw on the radar last night when the storms were forming?

The line that was sitting there was the dry line - the demarcation for the humid air and drier air to the north. The change in air densities wil show up on radar. The 2nd line was moving south was the cold front moving thru.

Comment

• Ok thanks SB! I just don't usually see the dry line running so much on an east/west axis, so that's what confused me. Even Ross on Ch. 12 was calling the stationary line the cold front.

Comment

Ok thanks SB! I just don't usually see the dry line running so much on an east/west axis, so that's what confused me. Even Ross on Ch. 12 was calling the stationary line the cold front.
                    I think that was due the upper dynamics with zonal flow (but somebody might have a better reasoning for the orientation) - there was some kind of disturbance working across the state early in the day maybe that was part of it.

What I saw that made me believe it was a cold front/dry line interaction was in Concordia it was 82/59 (temp/dep) behind the 2nd moving boundary. It was with this boundary there was where u saw a change/drop in temp.

Near the semi-stationary boundary there was little to no change in temp, but drops in dewpoint and a wind shift example:

North of semi-stationary boundary
                    Great Bend 90/68, North wind
                    Salina 90/75 North Wind

South of semi-stationary boundary
                    Wichita 91/73 SW wind
                    Medicine Lodge 93/74, south wind

You could argue it was a front that was stationary, and there was a reinforcing shot of cooler, drier air working in behind that lead to the 2nd line due to the upper dynamics - I don't think you could argue out flow or gust front since there was not storms to the north. I guess you couldn't rule out a gravity wave.

The surface flow was from the SW, so there was little convergence, but when the storms erupted, the winds started backing to the S/SE increasing the convergence and the cooler drier air moved in.

Comment

• Id venture to say gravity wave since there was so little difference in temp/dew point with the first boundary. But are gravity waves usually visual on radar?

By the way, this drought sucks.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• It looks like Wichita ended June at 10.46 inches, tying 1957 for third most on record.

Comment

• All I know is those white fluffy clouds hovering next to those dark set of clouds that look like a water color painters work station look cool and hopeful of some damn rain west of the turnpike.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Id venture to say gravity wave since there was so little difference in temp/dew point with the first boundary. But are gravity waves usually visual on radar?

By the way, this drought sucks.
                            Depends on distance from the radar and type of hydrometeors in the wave.
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              It looks like Wichita ended June at 10.46 inches, tying 1957 for third most on record.
                              that'll fill a goldfish pond!!! Prolly causes some seismic activity in Oklahoma, too!

Comment

• It's been more than 24 hours since we've had any meaningful rain. I'm sick and tired of this drought.
                                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X