Severe Weather: April 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Weather: April 2014

Here we go. After failing to establish any sort of high pressure over the Carribean/Azores all spring due, in large part, to the polar vortex we finally have one and that is going to help to bring up fairly potent moisture from the GOM into the central and southern Plains.

Tuesday (April 1) should be mainly elevated convection well north of the warm front with the main threat being large hail and possible wind gust. Coverage should rapidly increase after dark in response to an increase in the winds just above the surface (LLJ).

Wednesday (April 2) is by far the most intriguing date of this week in terms of mode of convection. This day had been looking like a no-show for most of SC KS however that might be changing as one of tonight's model runs moves the warm front further north and might bring Wichita into play on Wednesday. One of the things to monitor on Wednesday, and even Tuesday night, is to see how fast the elevated convection can move northward and allow the associated cloud shield to clear. Even if they move north quickly I am sure there will be low-level stratus clouds in the area on Wednesday morning. The model run I was referring too sets up the warm front from just south of wichita (might include Wichita - hard to tell for sure based on grid spacing) north along the KS turnpike to around Emporia and then along a more equatorial direction into Missouri. Anywhere along and SE of this warm front should be in play for all modes of convection: Large Hail, Damaging Winds and Tornados. I'm not going to use an adjective in front of the word tornado -I'll let the professionals at the SPC do that. Another thing that is of concern is a capping inversion helping to suppress convection. I don't think this will be too big of an issue as most model runs have all initiated convection and forecast soundings are uncapped in this area. Anyways, Wednesday's set-up is largely conditional on the northward extent of the Warm Front as well as whether or not the LLJ cranks up fast enough to effect any supercells before things go multicellular and linear.

I doubt I'll stay up late enough to post this mornings SPC outlooks. My guess is SB will be in here to post them before I wake up tomorrow.

Stay safe.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

I doubt I'll stay up late enough to post this mornings SPC outlooks. My guess is SB will be in here to post them before I wake up tomorrow.

Stay safe.
      I looked at this morning and I was just like "meh", not really going to be "outbreak" - though maybe this means now we can get to spring and away from the cold.

Comment

These SN weather threads make me feel like I am reading urbanspoon reviews. You know, the ones that use 500 words to describe the ambiance, and 750 to go over the flatware.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          These SN weather threads make me feel like I am reading urbanspoon reviews. You know, the ones that use 500 words to describe the ambiance, and 750 to go over the flatware.
          Haha funny. I just need an outlet to write about this kind of stuff. Hoping I can make a career out of it.

Comment

Go for it. Wasn't trying to rain on you or anything.

Comment

Gonna be east of us and we need rain desperately.

Comment

Today is looking more of a possibility, severe threat has pushed further west into Western KS with slight tornado chance, with the main threat being large hail. The question will be how far north with the warm front get today as it surges north. Looking like the deeper moisture will be trapped south across the border.

Plots are of the Overall Risk, Tornado Probabilities and Hail Probabilities. Thursday looks to be a rough day in the SE part of the U.S. with the first Tornado outbreak of the spring 2014 season.

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Comment

I don't think the WF is going to make it very far into SC KS. And if it does Higher Resolution models show it being so disorganized and not with a tight gradient. Would not be surprised to see 5% tornado probabilities dropped for everywhere west of I-35.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                    I don't think the WF is going to make it very far into SC KS. And if it does Higher Resolution models show it being so disorganized and not with a tight gradient. Would not be surprised to see 5% tornado probabilities dropped for everywhere west of I-35.
                    They did cut them back south to Wichita being the further north extent.

Comment

Wichita now on the very norther edge of hatched 30% hail probabilities. WF is making a run at the Wichita area 67temp and 59 DP in Cowley county. Still not looking like it's going to be an organized WF/Dryline intersection so surface convergence is going to be very low. Stratus deck rapidly eroding over SC KS.

As SB said, not an outbreak day but a pretty tricky/interesting forecast with a possibility of one or two supercells in extreme SC KS before things become elevated and a jumbled mess.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          Gonna be east of us and we need rain desperately.
                          It's always east of the turnpike, or haven't you been paying attention?

What happened to Dofo anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            It's always east of the turnpike, or haven't you been paying attention?

What happened to Dofo anyway?
                            the oldtimers always used to say east of 61.

Comment

Storms firing off of warm front along the border but as they drift away from the WF they are weakening substantially. However....WF is still moving northward, my dad just recorded 80 degrees and 62 dewpoint in El Dorado.

Comment

Working...
                              X