Dreamliner lands at wrong Wichita airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreamliner lands at wrong Wichita airport

They were supposed to land at McConnell ... the crew thought they accidently landed at Beech field ... and actually landed at Jabara!

Was at airport in Wichita 9 miles from destination, also in Wichita; runway where it sits is shorter than it needs to take off

A Boeing 747 LCF Dreamlifter bound for McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kan., from New York City landed at the wrong airport late Wednesday and was temporarily stuck there.

edit: It was a dreamlifter ... not a Dreamliner that landed.

Link to air traffic control, kind of comical

Update: The Boeing air freighter took off from Jabara Airport in Wichita, Kan., Thursday afternoon after being stuck there overnight.

Comment

So the runway at Jabara is too short for this plane to take off. What are they going to do, tow it down Webb road to McConnell?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        So the runway at Jabara is too short for this plane to take off. What are they going to do, tow it down Webb road to McConnell?
        They are going to take off. At noon. Everyone is advised to duck.

I recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          That plane is way too big to move through the streets of Wichita. Wingspan is 211 feet and it is about 70 feet tall.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            They are going to take off. At noon. Everyone is advised to duck.

I recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO
            They are always playing with JATO's on Mythbusters. I want to strap a few of those babies on an old El Camino.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Question for you aviation engineers/plane geeks in Wichita. What is the safety factor used in determining minimums for takeoff? Could 6000 feet be plenty?
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

My private pilot (C-172) guess: Empty cargo hold, bingo fuel, and full throttle brakes on is their most likely approach.
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

The safety factor is the inverse of the pucker factor to the size of the pilots cajones.

Comment

Actually DU has the right formula. Plus a nice cold damp day with a good headwind doesn't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                        My private pilot (C-172) guess: Empty cargo hold, bingo fuel, and full throttle brakes on is their most likely approach.
                        You're probably right about full throttle brakes, as they are closing of K-96 to the south.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          The safety factor is the inverse of the pucker factor to the size of the pilots cajones.
                          So about a hundred feet, give or take?

Comment

I can fly that son of a biitch outa there, even in the ice.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X