No announcement yet.

KC Chiefs: Wk 8 vs Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chiefs offensive line is woeful. Alex Smith is not as good as his gaudy W/L record. The defense is really, really good and special teams are really, really good. It isn't easy to be undefeated halfway through the schedule, regardless of the opposition.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

The defense is good but not a great one. Alex smith is a quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over which causes more pressure for the defense by having to play longer. The offensive line is good on the run but horrible in passing downs. The special teams are really good. Jamaal Charles IS special. It is very difficult to be undefeated halfway through the schedule especially if you have been so bad for so long. Karma.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Negative.

The Chiefs have blown out two teams. One of them is winless and the other has 2 wins.

The Chiefs are 8-0 but I don't think they're the best team in football. These easy opponents and close calls are eventually going to catch up with them.
        Fever, I mostly agree with you, the Chiefs are not as good as their 8-0 record. That said, the difference between the best and the worst NFL teams is not that great. There are few crappy teams, generally, just teams lacking a qb and a skill player or two. With that, 8-0 is a fantastic record even if you haven't played anyone. I don't like the Chiefs any better than you, but let's give them their day in the sun. They deserve it.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          Negative.

The Chiefs have blown out two teams. One of them is winless and the other has 2 wins.

The Chiefs are 8-0 but I don't think they're the best team in football. These easy opponents and close calls are eventually going to catch up with them.
          Obviously, I'm not a delusional Chiefs fan - I was in the Todd Haley era but let's chalk that up to youth. They aren't amazing, but there also aren't a whole hell of a lot of good teams out there in the league this year.

Besides Indianapolis and Denver there aren't two teams in the AFC that are equal to better than KC.....at this point.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Things to know about KC:

1. 8-0 isnt easy. Play Jacksonville 8 times and you are bound to lose 1 or 2.

2. You can only play the teams on your schedule.

3. They are the 2nd best team in the AFC right now.

4. They will lose 3 or more of thier next 8 games.

5. They will draft WR first round. Maybe evem trading up to do so.

6. Suck my nuts Broncos, your schedule, save Indy, has been just as easy as the Chiefs.

7. It makes no difference how good you are now, nor does it matter how many games you win. All that matters is getting IN the playoffs.

8. Im sick of all the attention the NFC and thier god awful teams get. If you want to drool do it over the NFC West or the AFC West who has dominated the NFC East.

9. The Donkeys can suck my nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
              The defense is good but not a great one. Alex smith is a quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over which causes more pressure for the defense by having to play longer. The offensive line is good on the run but horrible in passing downs. The special teams are really good. Jamaal Charles IS special. It is very difficult to be undefeated halfway through the schedule especially if you have been so bad for so long. Karma.
              The only comment you said that I don't think is correct is regarding the defense. Prior to today, the defense has been very good. Too early in the season to call them great, but they might be. Today, the defense was really good at times but not good at other times. In the first quarter and 3/4 of the second quarter, they were dominant just as in past weeks. But they appeared to let up, and they let Cleveland back in it with some easy, quick scores. Then at the end, they made plays when they needed them, but definitely not dominating after the first part of the game. Not the effort that they've been giving in the past few games. Next week, on the road, if they play like today, they lose.

Comment

Everyone pretty much sees right through this 8 and 0 record. The Chiefs have played the second easiest schedule, but at least they are taking care of teams they're supposed to.

Like he said, WR or two is a priority. A shut down corner is needed too. The O line is one of he youngest in the NFL, they should get better over time. But Alex Smith is not a Super Bowl caliber QB, in fact if the Chiefs keep him around their path to a SB championship will have to emulate the early 2000 Ravens and Buccaneers who had superb defense and just enough offense. Those teams had Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer at QB, Smith is about as good as those two were.

Comment

This Chiefs team reminds me of Schottenhiemer team of 90's and specifically 1995. They had a stud defense with good TO ratio that got their offense easy points. Good special teams and mediocre to average offense - with Marcus Allen being the bright spot. They won some really close games, finished 13-3 with home field advantage and first round bye. They end up losing to Indy because they turned the ball over 4 time instead of forcing the turnovers and Indy slips by with a 10-7 victory (much with the help of Lin Elliot who missed 3 FG attempts.

Comment

Is it just me or does Cleveland continue to play better and better the deeper it goes down its QB depth chart?

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      The only comment you said that I don't think is correct is regarding the defense. Prior to today, the defense has been very good. Too early in the season to call them great, but they might be. Today, the defense was really good at times but not good at other times. In the first quarter and 3/4 of the second quarter, they were dominant just as in past weeks. But they appeared to let up, and they let Cleveland back in it with some easy, quick scores. Then at the end, they made plays when they needed them, but definitely not dominating after the first part of the game. Not the effort that they've been giving in the past few games. Next week, on the road, if they play like today, they lose.
                      You bring up why I would not rate this a great defensive team at this time. Great teams don't let other teams back into the game. They gather energy and keep the foot on the throat. I believe we are on the same page just maybe a matter of semantics.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                        Is it just me or does Cleveland continue to play better and better the deeper it goes down its QB depth chart?
                        Not just you. Going into the KC game, the Browns were 0-4 when Weeden started and 3-0 when a backup started.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

It seems to me that KC has proven all it can so far. They have proven that they can beat bad teams, that they have a good defense, and that they can protect the ball. They've also shown the ability to win in the 4th quarter, though their defense has proven more adept than their offense at making plays with the game on the line. On the negative side, they aren't a particularly scary offense outside of Charles and they don't have the offense to put teams away.

With their schedule, they couldn't do anything more than that. We'll learn a lot more about the Chiefs in their games against the Broncos and Colts. If they can manage to go 2 of 3 against those teams, they are a legitimate threat to do damage in the playoffs. On the other hand, if they lose the majority of those games then they'll look a lot more vulnerable. (not going to go against the NFC East in the playoffs!). I don't see them going any worse than 12-4 or any better than 16-2.

Right now the biggest questions is whether Alex Smith's passing game and the Chiefs receivers will be good enough to take advantage of Denver's incredibly soft pass defense, and how the defense will react against a good pocket passer on a team that isn't a dumpster fire. The answers to those questions will not only determine the Chiefs seed but also the viability of an extended playoff run. If the playoffs started today, the teams in the AFC would have the #1, #2, #5, #8, and #17 QBs by QBR (#17 being Brady). That means that no matter what route the Chiefs take, they'll be facing top QBs left and right. For the Chiefs to advance or get a high seed they'll need to win against that type of team, and that means Alex Smith needs to keep up in the air and the Chiefs defense needs to adapt their dominant defense against bad teams with a running focus to good teams with a passing focus.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            You bring up why I would not rate this a great defensive team at this time. Great teams don't let other teams back into the game. They gather energy and keep the foot on the throat. I believe we are on the same page just maybe a matter of semantics.
                            I don't know if we're close or not but I would attribute some of that to maturity. They don't understand what it takes to be a great defense yet but they could learn that by the playoffs and become that. After all they were 2-14 last year and weren't even considered good.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                              Right now the biggest questions is whether Alex Smith's passing game and the Chiefs receivers will be good enough to take advantage of Denver's incredibly soft pass defense, and how the defense will react against a good pocket passer on a team that isn't a dumpster fire.
                              Go ask RG3 and Kirk Cousins if Denver's pass defense was incredibly soft. After five turnovers (four being INTs) and some hellacious hits that those guys took, I don't think "incredibly soft" would come to mind for them.
                              78-65

Comment

It was noted on Facebook that the Chiefs defense are the first since 1977 to not give up more than 17 points in a game through their first 8 games.
                                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                                X