• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas is next.

Followed by Buffalo’s NHL team.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      Cleveland Indians are looking at their name. When this all done, nobody will ever remember their were Indians.
      Since the term "Indian" has gone its own way and now we use the term "native American," it seems the only people that should be concerned about the name "Indian" are the people with roots in India. And they probably don't care.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Since the term "Indian" has gone its own way and now we use the term "native American," it seems the only people that should be concerned about the name "Indian" are the people with roots in India. And they probably don't care.
        Native American is now out of favor as well (similar to African American). It implies that they were on a land that was destined to be conquered by Western Europeans. The land had a much different and spiritual name to the people that inhabited it. The preferred term is either Indigenous Peoples or First Peoples.

Livin the dream

Comment

• I honestly don’t think the name Indians, Braves, etc. is derogatory, but “Redskins” is offensive to me.

No worries or angst for the fine people on this wonderful forum who disagree with my position.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Native American is now out of favor as well (similar to African American). It implies that they were on a land that was destined to be conquered by Western Europeans. The land had a much different and spiritual name to the people that inhabited it. The preferred term is either Indigenous Peoples or First Peoples.
            I actually like the term “First Nations” which is what is used in Canada. But whatever, the entire discussion is bat **** crazy in my opinion.

Comment

• Everybody has an opinion of what is acceptable. Only the opinion of the media matters. They could come after Chiefs or Raiders next.

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                I honestly don’t think the name Indians, Braves, etc. is derogatory, but “Redskins” is offensive to me.

No worries or angst for the fine people on this wonderful forum who disagree with my position.
                Redskins isn’t offensive to me, but I get where it could be. My issue isn’t with this name in particular, but there doesn’t appear to be a line. I need a line and then I would get on board.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• The line gets moved since we get a fresh batch of insecurities every so many years.

Comment

• There was a poll, maybe 20 years ago (?) and about 90% of American Indians polled were not offended, and actually like the name. I imagine that it is mostly liberal leftists crying out for change, but that's only an opinion. It won't stop here however, all it takes is one loud person to be promoted by the media.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      The line gets moved since we get a fresh batch of insecurities every so many weeks.
                      Updated you post for current cultural context.

Comment

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c62_story.html

good read

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          Thank you for sharing pin.

Comment

• Possibly the name change is being done to protest the indigenous peoples' practice of slavery for centuries?

Comment

• It wasn’t so much slavery as abduction and forced assimilation into the tribe. This practiced occurred when the tribal group was experiencing a population decline In an effort to increase numbers. If population wasn’t an issue, no quarter would be shown and it was accepted by most tribes, especially those on the Great Plains and Rocky Mountains, that all out war between the tribes would result in total extermination of the losing group involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                                It wasn’t so much slavery as abduction and forced assimilation into the tribe. This practiced occurred when the tribal group was experiencing a population decline In an effort to increase numbers. If population wasn’t an issue, no quarter would be shown and it was accepted by most tribes, especially those on the Great Plains and Rocky Mountains, that all out war between the tribes would result in total extermination of the losing group involved.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver..._United_States

Comment

Working...
                                X