No announcement yet.

Anybody able to tolerate blues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The keyboard/singer in the Phantom Blues Band (linked above - "how 'bout that keyboard/vocalist") is Mike Finnigan. He's from Wichita. He was doing national tours while still living in Wichita up until the early 70's. Then he moved to the West Coast where he's made his living as a musician ever since. I used to run into him from time to time in Wichita.

Pat McJimsey is no longer with us. Heart failure April Fools Day, 2004.

Probably in the early '90's I played a jam McJimsey hosted at The Spot - in its last days. You pretty much know a bar is about to close when the door is missing from the women's rest room. McJimsey's band played a pretty ho-hum first set, which is typical of bands hosting jams. I had a drummer with me who had worked with Herbie Hancock and Oscar Peterson. The drummer and I had played together a lot and he knew all my stuff. We got lucky by pulling an awesome bass player. I had the crowd stacked with about 30 friends.

McJimsey got the typical polite applause bands get at jams. All my friends stood up, yelled, clapped, and basically raised hell after every song I did. That got everyone in the bar on their feet clapping, whistling, and yelling.

McJimsey - polite applause. Me - standing ovation after every song. That was the last time I played at any jam when McJimsey was even in the building. That was also the first and last time I ever talked to him - other than maybe some stuff in the '70's that I'm certain neither of us would remember.

Jonny Lang was mking albums and touring when he was 16. He's kind of faded. A couple of years ago he played Hartman Arena as part of about 4 name guitarists doing a joint tour.

Joe Bonamassa was called on stage and sat in with a band when he was 12. The singer/guitar player in that band was B.B. King.

There have been a lot of people who were going to be the next great blues sensation. It hasn't worked out well for most of them. the audience for blues has mostly disappeared in the last 20 years. there used to be blues jams 2 or 3 nights a week. Now there's one a month tht gets any publicity.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

A friend of mine the late Hank Elder played with Pat M saw the band many times they were great. Mike Finnigan was recently inducted into the international Blues Hall of Fame as a Master Blues Musician. Phantom was inducted also
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

It would be nice if Wichita radio played more blues music besides a 2 hour show on KTHR Sunday's. Maybe KMUW plays some but I dont know about it or miss it.

Comment

Went to the Shamrock last night and dragged a friend with me. Sat at the last table by the side door. It was quite a varied crowd. As Aargh said it got crowded just before 8:00. Had a few beers and enjoyed the music for a couple of hours. My friend and I agreed to go back next month and we are taking others including my wife with us since things like this should be shared with friends. Good blues and cold beer and a good crowd. Could not figure out who Aargh was but still had a good time. Lots of musicians but didn't get to hear them all. My wife has lived on the east side her entire life and never knew there was anything west of hillside. I have taken her to Tys Diner, Merles and the Shamrock. She loves all of them and is looking forward to going to the Shamrock next month. Thanks to Aargh for the notice of this event.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
            Went to the Shamrock last night and dragged a friend with me. Sat at the last table by the side door. It was quite a varied crowd. As Aargh said it got crowded just before 8:00. Had a few beers and enjoyed the music for a couple of hours. My friend and I agreed to go back next month and we are taking others including my wife with us since things like this should be shared with friends. Good blues and cold beer and a good crowd. Could not figure out who Aargh was but still had a good time. Lots of musicians but didn't get to hear them all. My wife has lived on the east side her entire life and never knew there was anything west of hillside. I have taken her to Tys Diner, Merles and the Shamrock. She loves all of them and is looking forward to going to the Shamrock next month. Thanks to Aargh for the notice of this event.
            I was the old fart playing guitar with the female singer, who you could barely hear because the band was turned up a bit high. It was around 9:30 when I was up.

You may have heard this lyric section - we brought the band down for this part.

I'll be ******* six feet underground, Dead in my grave, buried, and long forgotten

I'll be so long gone and forgotten that my flesh will have turned and returned to the nutrients and elements of the molecules from which it originated.

I mean to say that the genus and species of worms that used to crawl in and out of the sockets of my eyelet holes will have vanished from the face of the Earth.

I mean to say that I will see the Earth leave it's orbit,

I'll wear the rings of Saturn for a ring around my little pinkie,

I'll let your sister marry a Venusian.

I will see you dead.

I will see your lover dead.

I'll see his lover dead.

I'll see his lover dead.

I'll see THAT FAGOT dead.

I'll see everyone you ever knew, loved, touched, stood next to, heard of, smelt, felt, dreamed about in your life or any of your descendent's life down to the one hundred and sixty-eighth person roasted and tortured in Hell for one million, trillion years, sixteen eternities, 27 forevers, 11 thousand years after THAT BEFORE I WILL BE YOUR FOOL !

I believe I tuned my guitar right beside your table around 9:00.

Next month, I'm expecting some of the guys I play with more regularly to be there. They actually know the songs that Vicki does. Then I get to take some solos, instead of just hammering out the chords so the song stays on the railroad tracks, instead of leaving them.
            Last edited by Aargh; August 30, 2013, 12:41 PM.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Somewhat on topic, so didn't feel the need to start a new thread.

There's a brass band playing tonight at Cabaret Oldtown. They go by the name Kiss My Brass. If you're a regular attendee at basketball games, you'll recognize many of the musicians as members of the Shocker Sound Pep Band.

Starts at 8:00 and is free. There is a full bar for those of you who are interested.

If you want to support live local music, and some great current/ former pep band members, I'm sure they'd love to have you all out. Always nice to have a large crowd.
              Three things in life are constant- death, taxes, and Creighton losing in the first weekend of the tournament.

AAC or Bust!

Comment

Brass band???

Did somebody say brass band???

Get your copy here: http://hackneycollieryband.bandcamp.com/The East London collective's version of Toto's soft rock classic "Africa" has been tried and test...

Comment

Anyone remember Matt Wilson?
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                  Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    The keyboard/singer in the Phantom Blues Band (linked above - "how 'bout that keyboard/vocalist") is Mike Finnigan. He's from Wichita. He was doing national tours while still living in Wichita up until the early 70's. Then he moved to the West Coast where he's made his living as a musician ever since. I used to run into him from time to time in Wichita.
                    Mike Finnigan is not from Wichita, originally from Ohio, actually went to KU on a basketball scholarship and lived in Wichita for several years.
                    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Mike Finnigan played on a lot of great sessions in the 60s and 79s to include playing organ with Jimi Hendrix on the Electric Ladyland album and toured with Crosby, Stills and Nash. I've got a live CSN DVD during which they feature him on "Barrel of Pain." Guy has a great voice but he is most definitely a killer keyboardist.

Comment

I highly recommend Trampled Under Foot and Samantha Fish. Both KC locals...both touring internationally.

Comment

Once again I post one of my fav Blues groups a reg on the Blues Cruises
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                          X