X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously Good Obscure Movies

Just ran across this flick on Netflix and it is very good:

When The Last Sword Is Drawn

At first you get the feeling this might be a cheeseball flick but hang in there -- you'll be glad you watched this one.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Bubba Ho-Tep
    Braindonors

Last edited by kcshocker11; August 2, 2013, 09:51 PM.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Just ran across this flick on Netflix and it is very good:

When The Last Sword Is Drawn

At first you get the feeling this might be a cheeseball flick but hang in there -- you'll be glad you watched this one.
      If you recommended it, I gotta watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
        If you recommended it, I gotta watch it.
        Report back and tell me if I am whacked out or not, but I just loved this flick. It's about a samurai at the end of the samurai era. There is one gross scene but just get past it and the movie will grow on you like a weed. Well it did me.

Comment

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried watching. Made it about a half an hour before I got sick of reading the captions. The movie has merit, but I want to watch a movie, not read it. Besides, if my wife saw me watching a foreign flick, she might think I was developing culture and force me to watch some French bullshit.

Bubba Ho Tep, on the other hand, is a must see for everyone! Where else can you get Elvis, JFK, nursing homes, penis cancer and mummies all in one place. I actually own Bubba Ho Tep on DVD. I got it several years ago. It is hard to find, probably available on Amazon. Too few people know of this great movie. I give it 6 out of 5 stars!
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
            I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried watching. Made it about a half an hour before I got sick of reading the captions. The movie has merit, but I want to watch a movie, not read it. Besides, if my wife saw me watching a foreign flick, she might think I was developing culture and force me to watch some French bullshit.
            What?!?! You mean there are non-foreign movies on Netflix? Ok, other than the new load of Disney -- which by the way have practically become foreign movies. You must have a young'un at home? I haven't figured out a good reason other than that to keep Netflix for streaming stuff. But I keep paying the stupid bill.

Does anybody know if Amazon Prime is any better or is it also a large pile of B movie also ran flicks?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              What?!?! You mean there are non-foreign movies on Netflix? Ok, other than the new load of Disney -- which by the way have practically become foreign movies. You must have a young'un at home? I haven't figured out a good reason other than that to keep Netflix for streaming stuff. But I keep paying the stupid bill.

Does anybody know if Amazon Prime is any better or is it also a large pile of B movie also ran flicks?
              I have Amazon Prime. Only because we buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and we end up saving on Shipping. The UI on Prime is cumbersome, but they have most of the stuff Netflix has, but they also have some different. There is also some dirty, dirty stuff on Prime, but I never watch that stuff...

The kids use Netflix all the time, I watch Adam-12, Cheers and things like that. I just watched Back to School on Netflix. I wish, and maybe it's available somewhere, that there was a list on everything Netflix is streaming.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I like the oldies on TCM.

The Reivers. Steve McQueen

My Name is Nobody. Henry Fonda, Terrence Hill, Sergio Leone, Ennio Morricone.

Comment

Kung WU - Thanks, enjoyed the movie. Am used to captions.

I watch a lot of British detective programs on Netflix and highly recommend - Foyle's War - about 20 some episodes, some of which have/are shown on PBS Mystery Theater from time to time.

The stories take place during and after the Second World War in Hastings, England. Michael Kitchen, who is s terrific, plays Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle and attempts to catch criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion the war has created.

So far, I have hooked about 7 others on the series. Kitchen has been in several Bond series as an assistant to M, and other movies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                    Kung WU - Thanks, enjoyed the movie. Am used to captions.

I watch a lot of British detective programs on Netflix and highly recommend - Foyle's War - about 20 some episodes, some of which have/are shown on PBS Mystery Theater from time to time.

The stories take place during and after the Second World War in Hastings, England. Michael Kitchen, who is s terrific, plays Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle and attempts to catch criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion the war has created.

So far, I have hooked about 7 others on the series. Kitchen has been in several Bond series as an assistant to M, and other movies as well.
                    Ahh, thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                      Just watched this on your advice. Great flick! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Unfortunately it isn't streaming anywhere that I know of, but The Spanish Prisoner is a great lesser known film. There are other David Mamet films that are more well known, but this one is my favorite (and includes Steve Martin in a different kind of role than his norm).
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Love the Spanish Prisoner. checkout the "Razors Edge" the remake with Bill Murrey. Also "Being There" with Peter Sellers. My fav is "Peaceful Warrior" with Nick Nolte or "They Might be Giants" with George C Scott

Also "KIng Kung Fu" Directed and written by WSU Prof Lance Hayes
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                            I like the oldies on TCM.

The Reivers. Steve McQueen

Tcm is playing Steve McQueen movies all day tomorrow! Check out Somebody Up There Likes Me with Paul Newman! Its on at 5 tomorrow morning on tcm. Great stuff!
                            I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                            If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

For a quirky, pretty good, obscure movie on Netflix, try Wilby Wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                              X