No announcement yet.

KC: To trade, or not to trade, that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see how the Royals could rationalize this trade but I agree with SUB.

Maxwell is 2 years away from playing in Japan, Smith is 2 years away from pitching in the big leagues." - Major League Scout

Comment

I've decided Im just going to enjoy the ride and what happens... happens..

We needed to upgrade the pitching staff and we did. Only it was at the expense of trading WIL FREAKING MYERS.
      I honestly think if we did something like (start out with) Ventura for Kendrick we could have made a stronger push to the playoffs. And we would have a better chance of resigning Santana (if the Royals decide to) Puts us in a great spot for the next two years with the pitching we have coming off the DL and if Zimmer has found it like being reported.

So like I said just enjoying the ride. August 1st and we're 3 games above .500 Its not what was promised but after 30 years of sucking...

Comment

Maxwell hit a monster homerun to win the game today. I didn't consider this trade a game changer one way or the other. It was a low risk trade, trading a player with little upside and perhaps a 5-10% or less chance to make it to the League so I didn't say anything. But you have to admit that he a Big Time Athlete with speed, a great arm, and power potential. He's helped them so far. We'll have to see how much more.

Comment

I'm still not a fan. We'll see how he goes, but I'd rather have the potential of Smith who projected as high as a number 3 but mostly a 4/5 starter over a 5th outfielder with little upside. Remember, he's already 29 and has little MLB success and plays a position that we didn't need. I'm glad he's had a couple of positive contributions so far, but he still a poor "solution" to no problem.

Basically, the Astros continue to get over on us in trades. I hope Dayton NEVER makes another trade with Houston. He's 0-2 so far.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Last week when I was listening to the baseball analysts discussing this trade didn't think that highly of Smith. They were talking of him as a possible career AAA player or maybe having a chance of being a fringe major league reliever. They certainly didn't speak of him as a #3 starter. They said that it was a low risk trade and that KC didn't give up much for Maxwell who had been highly thought of as a young player, but hadn't done much. Maxwell is a much better athlete than I was thinking when they were talking about the trade and the KC outfielders are all very good athletes. Well, we have to wait and see how well Kyle Smith does, and whether the Royals make a actual run at the playoffs this year.

Comment

I've never seen anything written that says Smith won't make it to the Show. Worst case scenario I've seen is he becomes a middle reliever or a setup man and best case was a #3. Some seem to diminish things because he doesn't have crazy heat as he's a low 90s guy. But he was also a 4th round pick out of HS paid 2nd round money and has a better feel for pitching than most pitchers in the Royals system. I believe he was ranked as the 11th best prospect in the KC system prior to the trade. Now, nobody doubts that Maxwell is an athlete, but he has a history of being less than stellar. Pluses are he has a little bit of pop in is bat, good speed and will take a walk. Minuses are no real upside, nothing he has really fills a need that the organization needed, is at best a 4th OF option and he's really not going to play much. Lough hits righties and lefties both better than Maxwell. Dyson has more speed and a better batting average but struggles against righties.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Minuses are no real upside, nothing he has really fills a need that the organization needed, is at best a 4th OF option and he's really not going to play much. Lough hits righties and lefties both better than Maxwell. Dyson has more speed and a better batting average but struggles against righties.
                I'm not saying the Maxwell trade was good or bad, but from what little I've read, he does fill a need.

First, left handed hitting Dyson struggles against lefties, not righties, hitting about .160. Add to this KC's other two bench players, lefty Kottaras and switch hitter Johnson combine for a season average of .187 ( Johnson hitting below .200 against both RH/LH pitchers). KC had no one to pinch hit from the right side.

Next, Cain's health might be an issue and they don't want to over work him. If he's hurting, you have only Dyson to face LH pitchers, particularly in late inning situations. Cain's glove is very valuable, but he has been struggling since the middle of May hitting only .219. Add to this, Gordon is hitting only .202 since the start of June.

Enter Maxwell. Provides a RH bat off the bench. Plays all three outfield positions. Yost now has more flexibility for late game decisions. He has options on who to play if he wants or needs to rest Cain or Gordon (which given their hitting woes might be a good idea from time to time).

Again, there might have been other, maybe better options, but this move did fill a need.

Comment

im indifferent on the trade. Did it need to be done? maybe maybe not depends on who you ask. As long as he's used sparingly its not really a bad thing. But then again Dayton Moore and Ned Yost run the team so anything is possible.

August and September is going to be very interesting. Duffy should be really close.

Comment

trade worked out great so far, Maxwell sure has some much needed pop
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                      trade worked out great so far, Maxwell sure has some much needed pop
                      Agreed! I made a quick trip up to KC for the Thursday night game. It was an excellent time...probably around 20k - 25k fans there for a mid-week game.

Comment

Glad that they've bolstered their bullpen with the addition of Jamey Carroll.

Comment

He did pitch a good inning against us last Monday night. Sounds like he'll platoon with Getz at 2nd facing lefties while Getz play against righties.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            He did pitch a good inning against us last Monday night. Sounds like he'll platoon with Getz at 2nd facing lefties while Getz play against righties.
                            Best inning of any Twins "pitcher" - threw 8 pitches in a 1-2-3 inning! In the Royals' defense, making an adjustment from a guy throwing 90-95 mph to one who is touching 76 is tough. They were out in front on him and Hosmer tried to hit one to the Budweiser sign in right field.

Comment

Went yesterday afternoon, it was a great atmosphere for a hot sunday afternoon game. Big week this week with 3 vs Miami and a 5 game series at Detroit.
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Just think where this team could have been had they not had the may disaster. We just need Detroit to falter.

Comment

Working...
                                X