KC: To trade, or not to trade, that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KC: To trade, or not to trade, that is the question

Will Santana finish the season in KC? It's an interesting debate, but I'm leaning towards trading him as long as they get someone in return that makes sense and can be a factor this year or next. The odds of winning the Central are slim, but there, as we're only 7 games out at the moment. But we've really been building towards next year being our real run for the Central and he won't be a part of it. I'm also more open to a trade if they feel Duffy is close to being ready to move back to KC OR they think Ventura is ready.

I'll have to look into it, but Duffy pitched well again yesterday but I don't know where his numbers are as a whole. Also, especially with Duffy, it's more than just numbers for him. Where's his stamina? How's the movement on his pitches? So basically, is he ready to come back yet? I'm not sure Ventura is ready just yet, but the kid has some dynamite stuff and will be called up in September and have a shot at the rotation in the spring.

Losing Santana will effect the rotation some there's no doubt, but Shields and Guthrie can still hold down the front end while a Duffy or maybe Ventura could slide into the third spot. Chen is Chen and is fine as the 5th starter but then we're still stuck with Davis. Unless they finally give up on him as a starter and move him to the pen and let Smith or Teaford have a shot at starting. I know Smith has had mixed results in KC, but his time has been sporadic and Teaford has been used mostly out of the pen in KC while starting in Omaha. And pitching very well in AAA.

But I'll say once again that they shouldn't deal him just to deal him. If they can get someone in return that can help out at least by next season, then it should be considered. Especially if that someone plays 2nd. Gio obviously isn't going to get a real chance at playing there and Getz is.....Getz. A power bat in RF wouldn't suck, but Lough has been a very valuable asset out there as well and I'd hate to see him benched or sent back down at this point.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Will Santana finish the season in KC? It's an interesting debate, but I'm leaning towards trading him as long as they get someone in return that makes sense and can be a factor this year or next. The odds of winning the Central are slim, but there, as we're only 7 games out at the moment. But we've really been building towards next year being our real run for the Central and he won't be a part of it. I'm also more open to a trade if they feel Duffy is close to being ready to move back to KC OR they think Ventura is ready.

I'll have to look into it, but Duffy pitched well again yesterday but I don't know where his numbers are as a whole. Also, especially with Duffy, it's more than just numbers for him. Where's his stamina? How's the movement on his pitches? So basically, is he ready to come back yet? I'm not sure Ventura is ready just yet, but the kid has some dynamite stuff and will be called up in September and have a shot at the rotation in the spring.

Losing Santana will effect the rotation some there's no doubt, but Shields and Guthrie can still hold down the front end while a Duffy or maybe Ventura could slide into the third spot. Chen is Chen and is fine as the 5th starter but then we're still stuck with Davis. Unless they finally give up on him as a starter and move him to the pen and let Smith or Teaford have a shot at starting. I know Smith has had mixed results in KC, but his time has been sporadic and Teaford has been used mostly out of the pen in KC while starting in Omaha. And pitching very well in AAA.

But I'll say once again that they shouldn't deal him just to deal him. If they can get someone in return that can help out at least by next season, then it should be considered. Especially if that someone plays 2nd. Gio obviously isn't going to get a real chance at playing there and Getz is.....Getz. A power bat in RF wouldn't suck, but Lough has been a very valuable asset out there as well and I'd hate to see him benched or sent back down at this point.
    I agree a second baseman is what needed or someone that has some power. Can't give up only a couple runs every night and win by one run. Your luck is going to eventually run out. Don't move Santana unless you are getting major league talent ready now as next year they could contend in the Central. If they don't move Santana and don't resign him (very unlikely) they will get a draft pick for him, better in my opinion than just trading him to trade him.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
      I agree a second baseman is what needed or someone that has some power. Can't give up only a couple runs every night and win by one run. Your luck is going to eventually run out. Don't move Santana unless you are getting major league talent ready now as next year they could contend in the Central. If they don't move Santana and don't resign him (very unlikely) they will get a draft pick for him, better in my opinion than just trading him to trade him.
      Well stated and more to the point than my post.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I don 't think KC's chances to make postseason merit becoming buyers, as other teams are already starting to improve, like Detroit bolstering their bullpen with Veras. However, I would approve something that makes the team better now and later, like trading Ventura for Howie Kendrick (there's still some question as to whether Yordano can remain a starter, and pitching "prospects" are incredibly unpredictable, ie. Mike Montgomery, Chris Dwyer and John Lamb, just within the KC system). Go a step further, trade Hochevar for anything of moderate value, move Davis to the pen and put Will Smith or Danny Duffy into the rotation. That would be an improvement.

I'd like to think Moore would deal Santana, but in his mind, he's probably thinking that would be a PR disaster, in spite of how it might make sense from a baseball perspective. At least there is a plus side to holding on to him - getting that competitive balance round draft pick.

Comment

I was just having the Kendrick trade talk with my brother. He said the rumor involved one of Duffy, Ventura or Zimmer. If that's the case, I'd choose Duffy to be dealt. I love Duffy, but I believe Ventura could still be an excellent starter and that he and Zimmer could eventually be 1 and 2 in the rotation. Duffy could be 3 if he is still around.

I understand where Moore could be hesitant to deal Santana from a PR perspective, but if the right option comes available that would help for a few years, it'd be worth it. But if we can't resign him and hold onto him, the extra pick could be of value. It's not a must trade thing, but I hope he's at least listening to offers.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KC has ZERO options in their system to upgrade second base in the near future. If they want a good 2nd-baseman for the this season and at least the next year or two they are going to have to give up some value. No way around it. If Kendrick is the target, Anaheim will want a starting pitcher who is under control for awhile. That leaves Duffy and Ventura as the only reasonable trade chips.

In Omaha this season, they are practically the same pitcher, from a statistical standpoint. ERA, K/BB, Opp BA, pitch efficiency, you name it, there is very little difference. So we have to look at other variables. Duffy is a hard-throwing lefty and has already shown the ability to get major-leaguers out. He looks to be recovering fine from TJ surgery. Ventura is a hard-throwing, albeit undersized righty with slightly more upside (I'm not going to take comparisons to Pedro seriously until he's had some success in the majors). At this point in time, I think Duffy is the safer bet to help KC over the next two seasons. I also have a feeling that Zimmer will have big-league success as a starter before Ventura.

That said, I wouldn't be that upset if Moore dealt Duffy instead of Ventura, either because he values Ventura more or Anaheim values Duffy more. It's a good problem to have, I guess.

Comment

That's fair enough. I really like both of them and would hate to lose either as I truly do believe they could anchor the rotation in the future.

Hopefully, if this trade doesn't happen, KC looks at their options at 2B. Getz is not the answer. They obviously don't think Gio is. I admit, he hasn't produced much but they've never really committed to him having his time there either. I think when they called him up last it was said he was going to play every day and get an extended look and then ended up with around 55 ABs before being sent back. I have no idea if he'll ever stick, but for his sake, I hope they trade or release him at some point so maybe he gets a fair look.

But you're right, after that, we don't have options at that position. Colon has been a major disapointment. Seratelli is more of a utility guy but I believe has played 2B. He's hit quite well at every level and I think could have been our UT last year. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if we have any prospects who project as MLB talent at 2B. Most of our SS's, of which there are many, project as SS or 3B.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If they aren't going to trade for a second baseman I wish they would play Tejada there. Love his enthusiasm and hits better than anyone else they have. I know people are going to say he can't play everyday, but it is the best option they have now. Play him seven or eight innings in a close game and bring in a defensive replacement for him late in the game.

Comment

I think the Will Meyers trade is going to look very bad for the royals. Their pitching is probably good enough to compete this year but not good good enough to carry the team. Their real weakness is their offense at 2b and RF.

Comment

I just looked up Colon's stats. I don't know if his defense is better than Gio's (he's a converted SS so I have to think it's at least decent), but he's been hitting very well lately. Over his last 10 games:

.342/.419/.737 (1.155 OPS), 4 HR, 4 BBs, 4 Ks.

It could just be a hot streak and he'll regress to his season line of .253/.311/.368, but if he's finally figured it out, maybe he's an option. Since those recent numbers are so much better than his season numbers, my gut says it's a fluke.

Comment

You never know, maybe he has figured it out. He was drafted because he was supposed to be able to hit and we knew he'd end up at 2nd. But until he sustains success, I'm not hopeful. RF hasn't been bad for us since we parted ways with Frenchy. While Lough doesn't have the power many look for in a corner outfielder, he's been producing quite well.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KC pulls off a blockbuster trade! Nothing like caring five or six outfielders on your roster!

Just about the only thing that Justin Maxwell knew about the Kansas City Royals when he showed up to the ballpark Wednesday was that they were in the playoff hunt.

Comment

When I first heard we traded Kyle Smith for Maxwell I was pissed. Smith has been very good in A-ball since being drafted. Now that I'm hearing more about Smith's stuff, I'm rethinking the trade. Basically, Smith is a small RHP, with a fastball that tops out at 90 with a slightly plus curveball. I don't see that ever making it past AAA and I bet he gets exposed at AA.

So, what to do now with Maxwell. What little I know is that he's a plus defender who can play all three OF positions and a far better hitter against LHP. Meaning once the league adjusts to David Lough and his R/L splits begin to normalize, they will platoon in RF until either Bonifacio is ready or they acquire something better. He also provides some insurance should Cain continue to struggle with injuries or Lough goes into a prolonged slump. I guess one way to look at Maxwell is that he's a much cheaper version of Frenchy, but has more versatility and some actual plate discipline.

This is one of those "meh" trades, but assuming Smith never reaches a ML roster it probably makes the Royals slightly better at least through 2014 and maybe 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            When I first heard we traded Kyle Smith for Maxwell I was pissed. Smith has been very good in A-ball since being drafted. Now that I'm hearing more about Smith's stuff, I'm rethinking the trade. Basically, Smith is a small RHP, with a fastball that tops out at 90 with a slightly plus curveball. I don't see that ever making it past AAA and I bet he gets exposed at AA.

So, what to do now with Maxwell. What little I know is that he's a plus defender who can play all three OF positions and a far better hitter against LHP. Meaning once the league adjusts to David Lough and his R/L splits begin to normalize, they will platoon in RF until either Bonifacio is ready or they acquire something better. He also provides some insurance should Cain continue to struggle with injuries or Lough goes into a prolonged slump. I guess one way to look at Maxwell is that he's a much cheaper version of Frenchy, but has more versatility and some actual plate discipline.

This is one of those "meh" trades, but assuming Smith never reaches a ML roster it probably makes the Royals slightly better at least through 2014 and maybe 2015.
                            Who are they going to send down? I would have rather seen a 2b with these numbers than another OF. How many outfielders are we going to carry? I would send Maxwell down before Dyson. At least with Dyson you know he has above average ML speed. Maxwell doesn't start in front of any of these guys in my opinion. It seems the Royals made a trade to just make a trade and not really help this years team out. Looks like they were looking more into the future as I believe they will have "control" of Maxwell until 2016?

Comment

Smith has great command though and is smart. That's why he intrigues people. This still irritates me as it brings in another outfielder who can't hit. What's the point in that? He immediately becomes the last guy in the outfield rotation and it's not like we're lacking speed off of the bench. This move does nothing for the stretch run or the future. I'd rather see if Kyle's command was good enough to keep moving up with KC.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X