No announcement yet.

Tribute to a Real WSU Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The attachment to the letter (I previously mentioned), is dated Nov 7, 2013 and states that the Center is located at 107 Linquist Hall and further indicates that there was a ribbon-cutting ceremony that officially opened the new center on Veterans Day, Monday, Nov 11, 2013.

It is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Mon - Thurs, and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays.

"The Center will provide services for students on active duty, veterans, and their dependents. Student employees will help staff the center and be available to answer questions and provide resources. Students will be able to use this space to connect to other students with similar life experiences and connect with resources to help them succeed academically and socially while at WSU. Computer stations will offer free printing."

I attended, then Wichita University, during the 1956-1960 time period and remember some of the difficulties that our young returning Korean War Vets experienced in adjusting back to normal life. The vast majority were only 2-4 years older than myself and many had physically and mentally been through a lot, similar to our Veterans now returning from the wars in the Middle East. Five were personal close friends of my older brother, and later mine as well.

I have no idea what what the graduation rate for Vets was back then, but none of the five that I knew, graduated. Three went on to lead what we generally would consider very successful lives. Two had major problems. Post Traumatic Stress would not be recognized for many decades later.

It is interesting that the brochure confirms what I just commented on above in saying "There is a large population of students on campus with military experience, and this population is often at higher risk of not graduating."

That which is most important, and what makes our University GREAT, is not only that they recognize this, but that they are CARING and willing to spend the necessary resources to help our Veterans in whatever way they can.

I have so communicated this message back to Dr. Ayres and Dr. Bardo, and to all who took and are taking part in this service to our Veterans.

Just another confirmation that: It is alwas a GREAT DAY TO BE A SHOCKER!

Comment

Working...
    X