Tribute to a Real WSU Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to a Real WSU Hero

On this 4th of July, I would like to mention and honor a true Wichita State University HERO and personal friend. No, he never earned All American honors, nor to my knowledge, he never lettered in any sports.

On many of our holidays we rightfully so pay tribute to those who have not only served, but we specifically honor those who gave their all for their country and for the men they served with.

I first meant Leroy (he went by his middle name) in 1956 in our ROTC class and even as an 18 year old Freshman, he stood out from all the rest of us as a true leader.

Riley Leroy Pitts was from Oklahoma. He attended and graduated from (then) Wichita University in June 1960. He jointly was commissioned and entered active duty as an Army Second Lieutenant. Soon thereafter he married and prior to being assigned to Vietnam in 1966, he was the proud father of a daughter and son.

The following is from official US Army files: "In December 1966, Captain Pitts was deployed to Vietnam and served as commander of C Company, 2d Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment. On October 31, 1967, just one month before he was to be rotated back home, his unit was called upon to reinforce another company heavily engaged against a strong enemy force.

After his company landed in an airmobile assault, several Viet Cong opened fire with automatic weapons. Captain Pitts led an assault which overran the enemy positions and was then ordered to move north to reinforce another company engaged against a strong enemy force. As his company moved forward intense fire was received from three directions, including four bunkers, two of which were within 15 meters of his position. His rifle fire proving ineffective against the enemy due to the dense foliage, Pitts picked up an M79 grenade launcher and began pinpointing the targets. Seizing a grenade taken from a captured Viet Cong's web gear, he lobbed it at a bunker to his front but it hit the foliage and rebounded. Without hesitation, Pitts threw himself on top of the grenade which, fortunately, failed to explode. He then directed the repositioning of the company to permit friendly artillery to be fired. Upon completion of the fire mission, he again led his men toward the enemy positions, personally killing at least one more Viet Cong. Displaying complete disregard for his personal safety, he maintained continuous fire, pinpointing the enemy's fortified positions, while at the same time directing and urging his men forward, until he was mortally wounded."

Leroy was the first African American commissioned officer to receive the Medal of Honor. The medal was presented posthumously by President Lyndon Johnson on December 10, 1968, with Mrs Pitts, his children, and his parents in attendance.

Wow, heckuva story! Thanks for sharing!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Just curious if there is any recognition on campus honoring our Wichita State University Medal of Honor winner (or any other possible winners) anywhere on campus?

And if not, why not?

The official write-up stated that there were parks and facilities named after him in his honor, but did not mention locations. Perhaps the ROTC building (if ROTC is still on campus) was renamed for his achievement.

Comment

This should be brought to light!
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
          The official write-up stated that there were parks and facilities named after him in his honor, but did not mention locations. Perhaps the ROTC building (if ROTC is still on campus) was renamed for his achievement.
          ROTC was removed from the campus in 1989 or 1990 by President Armstrong. There was no ROTC building named after him at least at the last location of ROTC (Henrion Gym).

Comment

This is the first I've ever heard of this guy, and I spent 4 years of my life at WSU. There's something wrong with that picture.

Something should be done to bring this guy to light to the University as a whole. We have a former baseball coach of low moral threshold with his likeness and name plastered all over the baseball facility; seems we maybe could do a little something on campus for a WSU alum Medal of Honor recipient.

Comment

I will send a letter to President Bardo requesting that he look into this and recommend that the University take some action to recognize and honor this most distinguished Wichita State graduate and hero of this nation.

Comment

Anybody know if this is the best address (off of google) to reach President Bardo?

President John W. Bardo
                Wichita State University
                1845 Fairmount
                Box 1
                Wichita, KS 67260-0001

Comment

Reference my letter to the President, Wichita State University, asking the University look into honoring Captain Pitts in recognition of his being a Medal of Honor Recipient.

Today I received a most heart warming response from our Vice President indicating that "His (Captain Pitts) courage and bravery in the face of battle are certainly worth memorializing in some permanent fashion. His is the story of a proud Shocker graduate who deserves recognition."

The letter went on indicating that the WSU Historic Preservation Commission will be meeting in the fall and that Captain Pitts will be on the agenda. Further, he will be getting back in touch with me concerning their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                    Reference my letter to the President, Wichita State University, asking the University look into honoring Captain Pitts in recognition of his being a Medal of Honor Recipient.

Today I received a most heart warming response from our Vice President indicating that "His (Captain Pitts) courage and bravery in the face of battle are certainly worth memorializing in some permanent fashion. His is the story of a proud Shocker graduate who deserves recognition."

The letter went on indicating that the WSU Historic Preservation Commission will be meeting in the fall and that Captain Pitts will be on the agenda. Further, he will be getting back in touch with me concerning their decision.
                    Outstanding work Mr. @60Shock:!
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Outstanding work Mr. @60Shock:!
                      Thank you @60Shock:! You are a man among men!

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments, guys, but I didn't do a thing that none of you wouldn't have done under similar circumstances.

But, I gotta admit, it REALLY felt good to be a Shocker upon receiving the University's response. And that is all that matters.

Comment

Great news.

I just received an information copy of a letter from Vice President Ayers to Mrs. Eula Pitts, the wife of Captain Leroy Pitts, asking for her endorsement to name the new Wichita State University’s Military and Veteran Student Center:

The Captain Leroy Pitts Military and Veteran Student Center

This certainly is a most noteworthy tribute to honor his service, his dedication, and his utmost bravery in paying the ultimate price for his country, and perhaps most importantly, to his Company of men he was heroically leading and fighting alongside with in the jungles of Vietnam.

I could not be more proud of our University for this most worthy recognition and to the men and women who are leading it in this 21st Century.

Comment

Wonderful news!

I am ashamed to ask, where exactly is the military & veteran student center?
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I was wondering the same thing DU.

Comment

Working...
                              X