This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU - Construction shows Wichita State's continued growth across the city

From the center of campus to downtown Wichita, Wichita State University’s footprint continues to grow and offer new opportunities for students and our community. As the spring semester rolls on, you will notice ongoing and new construction across our 330 acres and beyond.
    Renderings released for Wichita Biomedical Campus

Phase One of the Wichita Biomedical Campus, being built in the heart of downtown Wichita, now has its official look.

Renderings created by Helix Architecture + Design and CO Architects show the 8-story, 350,000-square-foot building that features a 3-story pavilion, classrooms, labs, student success center, lounges and study spaces, offices and meeting spaces.

This marks the first phase of the joint health sciences project between Wichita State University and the University of Kansas. Once built, the Wichita Biomedical Campus will combine WSU’s College of Health Professions and Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic, WSU Tech’s health care program and Wichita campuses of KU School of Medicine and KU School of Pharmacy into one location.

This initial phase of the project will be where a parking lot is located at the southeast corner of Broadway and William. Future phases will be located at 214 S. Topeka (where the Wichita Transit Center, set to move to Delano, is currently located). 

Construction is set to begin in spring 2024 and is expected to be complete by the end of 2026.
    Campus projects under way

Shocker Success Center

Construction on the Shocker Success Center, formerly Clinton Hall, continues with an expected construction completion of summer 2024.

The Shocker Success Center will transform Clinton Hall into a holistic resource for student services, centralizing access to these services to help students stay on course to graduate. 

The center will house student services, such as CARE Team, OneStop Student Services, Office of Student Accommodations and Testing and others, that are currently scattered across campus in different buildings.

Ablah Library

Construction is under way on the west side of Ablah Library to create a new stairway and repair a portion of the concrete retaining wall. The new set of stairs will strengthen the connection between the new northeast entry of the Shocker Success Center and Ablah Library.

As part of the construction, a temporary fence will be installed to contain the construction site. Construction is expected to be completed in June.

Wichita State Connect

Minor renovations are under way at the Wichita State Connect building north of NIAR. It is scheduled to open in March.

Wichita State Connect will provide a gathering space and launchpad for WSU academic colleges and programs to engage with schools, industry and community partners. Wichita State Connect will serve the campus as a hub for preK-12 student field trips to campus, mixers and events, professional development for educators, and an interdisciplinary array of programs and services designed to activate the potential of campus-based experiences at WSU.

Parking Services

Parking Services will move into the former Credit Union building this spring.

Millie Marcus Annex

Construction on the Marcus Welcome Center addition and interior renovation project is well under way. The eastern-most part of Lot 19E, next to Mike Oatman Drive at Eck Stadium, will close until the summer of 2024. Expect construction traffic on Mike Oatman Drive. 

In February, the main entrance into the building will be relocated into the new addition on the south side to renovate the lobby. The project will be complete and main building access restored by the beginning of summer 2024.

The Millie Marcus Annex will be an expansion of the Marcus Welcome Center and house the Shocker Career Accelerator offices. The project will also remodel the lobby and meeting spaces in the building. 

Intensive English Center + Annex

Demolition is wrapping up on the Intensive English Language Center and Annex buildings at the southwest corner of Hillside and 17th Street. The programs were relocated last year into Lindquist Hall. 
    The Innovation Campus is also experiencing some big changes:

NIAR Hub for Advanced Manufacturing Research (HAMR)

Design for the NIAR HAMR building is complete and will break ground in spring 2024. 

The 186,000-square-foot building is partly funded by an EDA grant and will house advanced manufacturing research labs and associated offices. The building will be located on Innovation Boulevard between the P1 building and The Suites. The first floor is primarily labs with offices on the second floor. 
    Renovations for athletic facilities: 

University Stadium (formerly Cessna Stadium)

The east side of the stadium was taken down during summer 2023 and in mid-December 2023, Wichita State accepted bids for Phase 1A and 1B and received one bid for the project.

To facilitate a more competitively bid project, Wichita State will re-advertise for a construction manager at risk and work to obtain more competitive bids within the project packages, prior to a summer 2024 project start, inclusive of the scope.

Timing of all demolition and renovations will be scheduled to avoid interruption of the KSHSAA Track and Field Championship in future years.

Phase 1A and 1B will begin after the 2024 Kansas State High School Track and Field Championship (May 24-25) and includes improvements on the east side of the existing track (underground utility work, seating area for approximately 3,600 with a combination of bleacher seats and terraces designed for tents, free-standing field lights, fencing, ticket pavilion, restroom/storage buildings, and plaza). Bleacher seating on the north and south sides of the stadium is included. 

Widening the field and a 9-lane track will likely need to occur in summer 2025.

Wilkins Stadium

A four-phase renovation of Wilkins Stadium, home of Shocker softball, is under way. Over the summer, artificial turf replaced the grass field.

Following a $3 million investment from the WSU Board of Trustees, work on the indoor practice facility is scheduled to begin by fall 2024. It will feature a 14,400-square-foot practice facility containing a full indoor infield, batting cages and storage areas. 

John and Gail Wadsworth's lead gift of $1.5 million is earmarked for the Softball Team Operations Facility.

The indoor practice facility is part of a $9.65 million Phase 1 of renovations for Wilkins Stadium. That phase includes a 12,000-square-foot team complex, housing a team locker room, coaches’ locker room, classroom, team room, athletic training room, staff offices, break room, work room, umpire locker rooms and laundry.
    There's a lot more going on than I realized. Well, I think I knew about all of these, but when mentioned all together it looks a lot different.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WSU - WSU's Barton School launches undergraduate hospitality major

The W. Frank Barton School of Business at Wichita State University is launching a Bachelor of Business Administration in Hospitality. The program will begin in fall 2024 with applications now open for interested students. It was developed in response to growing local and national employment needs in the industry.

“The hospitality industry employs 15 million people and is on track to add another 500,000 jobs by the end of this year,” said Michelle Korsmo, president and CEO of the National Restaurant Association. “The hospitality major at the Barton School of Business could make important contributions to our industry’s talent development by preparing graduates to efficiently lead operations, ensure superb customer experiences, and operate financially sound enterprises.”

The Barton School’s new hospitality program will incorporate innovative curriculum with an emphasis on entrepreneurship. As part of the program, students will engage in real-world projects and internships, thanks to our strong partnerships with local and global hospitality organizations. Our industry aligned curriculum includes topics such as Human Resource Management, Customer Experience and Entrepreneurial Finance that are specific to the industry. Hospitality students will have access to other enrichment experiences including interactions with industry leaders and executives, company visits, shadowing opportunities and guest speakers.

“I have been in the hospitality industry for my entire career, experiencing everything from fast casual to upscale dining,” said Scott Redler, co-founder of Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers. “I have a degree in Restaurant and Hotel Management, and it benefited me greatly as our industry is always changing to exceed the expectations of our guests. As it did for me, studying the hospitality industry in a classroom and experiential setting is a great advantage. Creating a bachelor’s degree in hospitality will not only support the expanding hospitality industry in southcentral Kansas, but also prepare students for the workforce across the country.”

“We want to continue to expand the options we offer to current and prospective students,” said Dr. Larisa Genin, dean of the Barton School. “Exposing them to new areas of interest and industries may spark a new passion and give students a chance to bloom into their full potential.”

“We’re always exploring ways for Wichita State to broaden its academic horizons, providing students with enriching opportunities that align with the growing needs of the global workforce,” said Dr. Shirley Lefever, provost and executive vice president at Wichita State University. “Our hospitality major exemplifies how WSU can positively impact both our students and the community as a whole.”
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WSU had their new 10 year master plan reveal yesterday and can be viewed on You Tube. Fairly lengthy but very informative. Buildings proposed to be taken down are Heskett. Hubbard, Bennan Halls and Neff Hall. Moving parking to more perimeter parking garages, Child Development perhaps moving to Fairmount Park with some athletic fields. Platt NW corner 21st and Hillside new home for indoor track and or Tennis facility. I thought the discussion and visual images about the before mentioned University Village and the 17th Street Campus Entry cleared a lot of the questions I had about what the project hoped to achieve. All in all a plan to move the campus ahead and reshape the campus into a more cohesive unit instead of what now seems two disparate campuses. As it was pointed out numerous time during the presentation it will be changed and revised going forward. Apparently fund raising is already being planned with a goal of 500 million projected. I was impressed with the presentation and well worth the time spent viewing. Go Shocks

Comment

• Surprised they are allowed to raze Neff Hall. I'm pretty sure that was one of the first buildings ever erected by the colonists shortly after the Mayflower landed. You can tell by the mothball smell.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Looks like Wilner is going as well and probably Henriorn. At the 46 minute mark they show their double down concept of the 17th Street Gateway. If something like that comes to fruition that is a destination spot for Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Surprised they are allowed to raze Neff Hall. I'm pretty sure that was one of the first buildings ever erected by the colonists shortly after the Mayflower landed. You can tell by the mothball smell.
              That’s hysterical! I honestly thought it was just full of 1960’s main frame computers.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

That’s hysterical! I honestly thought it was just full of 1960’s main frame computers.
                It's probably all the asbestos covered by the lead paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

It's probably all the asbestos covered by the lead paint.
                  And PCB transformers.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• The Q&A part where someone called the campus more of an office park than a school had me rolling my eyes. Goes to show some people only think in a negative manner.. I mean, I wish they would of offered on campus internships with federal law enforcement agencies when I went through back in the day. Lol. That concept to me is a great idea

Comment

• Ten Year Master Plan YouTube Link

starts at 19:40 mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1xgHm-...1hc3RlciBwbGFu

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                        The Q&A part where someone called the campus more of an office park than a school had me rolling my eyes.
                        Are you kidding me?

Comment

• WSU - Wichita State students recognized for outstanding biomedical research

Four undergraduate students from Wichita State University were among the 18 students recognized at the 22nd annual Kansas IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (K-INBRE) Symposium in Manhattan, Kansas.

The WSU students who were recognized:
                          • Yousaf Khan, senior in chemistry, gave the poster presentation, “A new vaccine platform based on the selective targeting of dendritic cells by the binding component of the anthrax toxin, protective antigen.”
                          • Alia Michaelis, senior in biochemistry, gave the oral presentation, “Characterization cardiomyopathic point mutations of the Ig3 domain of myopalladin.”
                          • Bao Nhu To, junior in biology and health science, gave the poster presentation, “Microbial Survival and Partitioning in Layered Ices Relevant to Mars.”
                          • Julie Tran, junior in chemistry, gave the poster presentation, “Characterization of Cardiomyopathic Point Mutations in the Ig3 Domain of Myopalladin.”

Led by the University of Kansas Medical Center, the collaborative network aims to prepare and inspire promising students for careers in bioscience.

The annual symposium serves as a platform for students, faculty and researchers to showcase their scientific endeavors, fostering collaboration and knowledge exchange. Under the guidance of faculty mentors, students engaged in presenting poster and oral presentations, highlighting the diverse range of research projects undertaken.

"The symposium is a testament to the commitment of our students and faculty in advancing the biomedical sciences in Kansas,” said Douglas Wright, principal investigator for K-INBRE and professor at the University of Kansas Medical Center. “It provides a unique opportunity for students to exhibit their hard work and for faculty researchers to share groundbreaking developments in the field.”

As K-INBRE continues to shape the future of bioscience in Kansas and Oklahoma, the annual symposium recognizes and nurtures talent within the academic and research community.

The other participating institutions include the University of Kansas Medical Center, Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, Haskell Indian Nations University, Kansas State University, Pittsburg State University, University of Kansas, Washburn University and Langston University.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                            Ten Year Master Plan YouTube Link

starts at 19:40 mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1xgHm-...1hc3RlciBwbGFu
                            Thought I’d bump this… I missed it previously. Definitely worth watching the 53 minute video. Athletic facilities are discussed including a complex at the northwest corner of 21st & Hillside and an addition to the northwest corner of Koch Arena. Looks like that structure will remove many ‘large donor’ parking spaces including yours’ truly. Progress can be painful, but needed. Happy to see there’s a vision for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Hv71C_S...pE2xzbJc7UoXDE
                            Last edited by WstateU; March 19, 2024, 08:55 AM.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• It needed to be bumped. If everyone meaning members and guests have not viewed the video for the 10 year master plan they are missing out on seeing the vision that is before us. Dr Bardo had his vison of the Innovation Campus and against all odds it surpassed the plan in less than 10 years. I hope this 10 year master plan comes to fruition as quickly as the last because I really want to see our university become what this new plan envisions, I think I can hold on for another 10 years to see it but as we all know no one is guaranteed tomorrow. They project this to be a 500 million dollar project and fund raising is being set up now. The last one raised more than what the group coordinating the fund raiser thought feasible. They were proven wrong as I hope this next round is able to meet its goals. What with the building downtown of the WICHITA Bio Med Center a separate project and the transformational plans for WSU I can see in the very near future that WSU will supplant the Flagship. Perhaps we should be called the Dreadnaught if we choose to become known. As I have oft quoted JJ and his brothers conversation concerning the arrival of Dr Bardo at WSU his brother told him "Wichita better get ready because Dr. Bardo is going to drag WSU into the 21st Century whether they want to go or not" . Once again Thank you Dr Bardo and onward Dr Muma. Go Shocks
                              Last edited by pogo; March 21, 2024, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• I keep forgetting to pull up the video on my phone. I'll do that sometime later this morning.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X