This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nm
    Last edited by Shockm; February 25, 2021, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Nm

Comment

• Before FHCGM I hoped that the basketball program would become relevant as in a top 50 type program each year. I think the program has exceeded my expectations since. Before FWSU President John Bardo I hoped WSU would once again become the second largest university in the state of Kansas and challenge the other school as the flagship. As it turns out my University continues to move ahead and grow its enrollment in innovative ways. This latest article above shows our ascent as a research University. I think in the near future my expectations here will be exceeded. Thank you Gregg Marshall and Dr John Bardo, none of which would have happened without your leadership.

Comment

• Had a few minutes to kill witing for my take out order from Felipe's and drove around the campus. There is a definite theme to the architecture concerning The new buildings on the Innovative Campus. Woolsey Hall will be more along the lines of the older buildings on campus and with the proposed "bridge" to Woolsey Hall perhaps it will be the Bridge from old to new. Much of the old golf course has been turned into spaces for the new buildings except for the SW corner at 21st and Oliver which I believe they were hoping to have additional Shopping venues. Or maybe that was for the NW corner at 17th and Oliver. Lots of new private building happening south of 17th street New apartments completed and others nearing completion. The only thing that really sticks out as out of place is the newly completed Track and Student Athlete center. Does not blend with ANYTHING . Sorry it just looks unfinished is all. The campus as a whole has evolved so much in the last 50 years it is hard to envision it as Hillside High as it was known (justifiably as well ) I love what it has evolved into. Go Shocks

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
            Had a few minutes to kill witing for my take out order from Felipe's and drove around the campus. There is a definite theme to the architecture concerning The new buildings on the Innovative Campus. Woolsey Hall will be more along the lines of the older buildings on campus and with the proposed "bridge" to Woolsey Hall perhaps it will be the Bridge from old to new. Much of the old golf course has been turned into spaces for the new buildings except for the SW corner at 21st and Oliver which I believe they were hoping to have additional Shopping venues. Or maybe that was for the NW corner at 17th and Oliver. Lots of new private building happening south of 17th street New apartments completed and others nearing completion. The only thing that really sticks out as out of place is the newly completed Track and Student Athlete center. Does not blend with ANYTHING . Sorry it just looks unfinished is all. The campus as a whole has evolved so much in the last 50 years it is hard to envision it as Hillside High as it was known (justifiably as well ) I love what it has evolved into. Go Shocks
            I was always surprised at the comments from visiting MVC school fans about how impressive our campus was (until I visited a few of them). If they saw it now they would be absolutely shocked.

Here's a look at Woolsey Hall's design. The bridge in the foreground will connect the building to the Food Truck Plaza and the south side of campus. There's a full gallery posted on the Barton School website:

Woolsey Hall
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

I was always surprised at the comments from visiting MVC school fans about how impressive our campus was (until I visited a few of them). If they saw it now they would be absolutely shocked.

Here's a look at Woolsey Hall's design. The bridge in the foreground will connect the building to the Food Truck Plaza and the south side of campus. There's a full gallery posted on the Barton School website:

Woolsey Hall
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I'm excited to see what the new business school looks like when completed. It's a long overdue upgrade for what I would think would be one of the bigger schools within WSU. I may be biased as an Accounting guy.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WSU begins search for developers of mixed-use University Village concept

Wichita State begins search for developers of mixed-use University Village concept - Wichita Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

"By Shelby Kellerman – Reporter, Wichita Business Journal
                  Mar 22, 2021, 3:47pm EDT
                  Wichita State University is beginning its search for private developers to bring new commercial uses to the areas south and west of the WSU campus.

The project, called University Village, is intended to create a destination for students, faculty and staff, with hopes of attracting a grocery store, pharmacy, childcare centers, restaurants and retail shops, among other things..."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Article in today's Wichita Eagle about a new beer / food hall coming soon to Braeburn Square - https://www.kansas.com/entertainment...250285450.html

It’s taking over a 5,680 square-foot space that will include a tap room called Social Tap Drinkery, a pizza restaurant called Sungrano and a third restaurant concept, which the owners will announce soon

Here’s how it will work: Social Tap Drinkery will anchor the space on the north side and will feature a bar with 52 taps that will dispense beer, wine and cocktails. There will be seating for about 85 inside with room for another 65 on an expansive, lake-facing back patio.

Social Tap won’t serve food, but visitors will be able to get food from two restaurants in the same building, which of which will have their own counters and their own menus. People can order food from their phones, from on-site kiosks or from cashiers at the counters, have a seat at Social Tap, then walk over and pick up their food when it’s ready. The two restaurants will also offer food to-go and for delivery.
                      Luttrell, who also owns Next LED, plans to install a 196-inch LED wall that can show Wichita State basketball games or other big games featuring Kansas teams. The space also have fire pits outside and a big fireplace inside. And the east-facing wall features several retractable garage doors that lead out to the patio and can remain open during nice weather.

The Social Tap section of the business will feature a large keg room that will be the centerpiece of the space and walkways that connect the bar area two restaurant concepts. The beer selection will feature both regional and national brands, and Neel is working with his liquor distributor to develop a few kegged cocktails.
                      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                        Article in today's Wichita Eagle about a new beer / food hall coming soon to Braeburn Square - https://www.kansas.com/entertainment...250285450.html
                        Looks like they've locked the article to just paid subscribers, so here's another article regarding the place - https://www.wichitabyeb.com/2021/03/...te-campus.html
                        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I read the original article and was a little confused. The developers said restauranteurs in the area were having difficulty grasping the concept being used in other areas of the country. But when I read their description, it just sounds like a mall food court for upstarts. Am I missing something?

Comment

• That seems to be a fitting description. Maybe a higher end or adult food court, but still. The general concept is interesting, but I think would work better with more food options. Unless I've misunderstood, there's the tap house and two eateries with a communal dining area?

I do see where if there were more options for dining that it could be an even better endeavor, especially if meeting up with people to watch a sporting event or something. Could have a wide variety of food so not everyone would have to agree and whatnot. Maybe there isn't the space to do it on campus and maybe Wichita isn't ready for the concept on a grander scale. But I would think a place similar to this but with more space and another 5+ dining options could be pretty cool.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              I read the original article and was a little confused. The developers said restauranteurs in the area were having difficulty grasping the concept being used in other areas of the country. But when I read their description, it just sounds like a mall food court for upstarts. Am I missing something?
                              Beer. You're missing the beer.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• For a comparison, here is a similar concept in Tulsa. It’s a big hit, btw. Not too far from TU.

We are focused on good food, unique retail, and offering Tulsa a vibrant space for our community to gather. Foodies, artists, musicians, travelers, and YOU have a place to eat and shop while supporting local entrepreneurs.

Comment

Working...
                                X