Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s nice that she has determined what the “Cental purpose of a University “ actually is. I am glad that I was exposed to the arts while in college because they opened up these things to me and I enjoy them to this day. The sciences and technology are the things that drive the quest for learning and if you will innovation The two should coexist at a university setting.

Comment

• Now back to some positive news...

Not sure this one was posted on June 10, 2019?
      Air Force awards WSU-NIAR $23.5 million contract for fleet sustainment -
      https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunews-releases/2019/06-jun/masc_release.php
      Some breaking news from Wichita Business Journal... stay tuned - big assist and thanks to U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (fyi... attended Fort Hays State and KU with J.D. from KU)

NIAR tops recent Air Force contract with bigger one from Army

"The National Institute for Aviation Research at Wichita State University has reeled in another big defense contract, this time a $33-million deal with the U.S. Army."

https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...eiIsInQiOiJMT2 dFZ1RYeWV5Zm9xViswUENYb3JWc0RcL1AweHB2UlhqRUtjcjFo SXpEKzRsdWFsXC9jRVhYK1NnMHhcL1pQdXluY2NKbkdac2hiaj JKb1JJOG1NWXpOeUFtZG82WkRWdU9vcDBFM2NuYzJldmZvWjRW QWp1T2hLQnE2MGw1dzBSNyJ9

Wow! That's a whooping $56.5 million for NIAR... The Bardo had a vision and John Tomblin shares it.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Did I see recently that they have also partnered with the University of Alabama for some sort of Army partnership on the Army Air Corp?

Research is beneath the Dark Lord.
        The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

• Good recruitment video for a new president. I just sent my application via Pony Express...

Last edited by WstateU; July 12, 2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent video. Whoever put that toghether deserves an Atta Boy or Atta Girl and a little something extra in their Christmas stocking.

• Not a major undertaking just a little cosmetic upgrade. Area north of Wilkins stadium where alumni functions were held was leveled off and a limestone retaining wall being installed perhaps making it easier to hold before game functions there. Q
          Last edited by pogo; July 27, 2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that on Thursday night while attending the AfterShocks game. Perhaps not a "major" project and my guess it is a bit more than cosmetic. Sure looked like they are moving a lot of dirt.

• More partners

Comment

• A new restaurant going into Braeburn Square - Journey East Asia Grill

Comment

• thank god its not another chain restaurant.

Comment

• Great looking WuShock, sculpted in bronze, going up in front of the new on-campus YMCA.

67783546_10219914968445344_5965866198716383232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQlzmfXYwoAjI6fH_LHA_4gyDauBKFMXlFkU6SpodLbvR84yg596lcCPcVkyFh9xzB7jCsMnJdB9HyVzGHiDnjxM&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=eef3afb081bac2db513a09012e75153c&oe=5DDBD1E2.jpg
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• From covered wagon...

Defense work porpels WSU to annual R&D award record
                By Daniel McCoy - Reporter, Wichita Business Journal
                Wichita State University on Monday announced that it set a record for research and development awards in fiscal year 2019.
                Driven largely by work from the U.S. Department of Defense, the school ended at June 30 with $136 million in R&D awards. That topped the record set in the previous fiscal year of $104 million.
                The increase was thanks primarily to that defense spending, which — with Sen.

Jerry Moran
                (R-Kan.) having brought many military leaders to Wichita in the past year to show what WSU and its National Institute for Aviation Research have to offer — increased more than $40 million year over year.
                “Sen. Moran’s position on the Defense Appropriations Committee and familiarity with Wichita’s strong manufacturing base is crucial to the safety of our nation,”

John Tomblin
                , WSU’s vice president for research and technology transfer, says in a press release. “This relationship has opened up connections that will benefit Wichita State students, faculty and staff, in addition to the state of Kansas, manufacturing industry, various DoD agencies and the nation as a whole.”
                Recent defense awards coming to WSU and NIAR include:

$33 million from the U.S. Army
                for advanced materials work on high-speed missiles.

$23.5 million from the U.S. Air Force
                for advanced materials and manufacturing related to aircraft sustainment.
                • $7 million form the Office of Naval Research for work related to advanced materials, manufacturing and digital modeling.

To...

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                From covered wagon...

Defense work porpels WSU to annual R&D award record
                By Daniel McCoy - Reporter, Wichita Business Journal
                Wichita State University on Monday announced that it set a record for research and development awards in fiscal year 2019.
                Driven largely by work from the U.S. Department of Defense, the school ended at June 30 with $136 million in R&D awards. That topped the record set in the previous fiscal year of $104 million.
                The increase was thanks primarily to that defense spending, which — with Sen.

Jerry Moran
                (R-Kan.) having brought many military leaders to Wichita in the past year to show what WSU and its National Institute for Aviation Research have to offer — increased more than $40 million year over year.
                “Sen. Moran’s position on the Defense Appropriations Committee and familiarity with Wichita’s strong manufacturing base is crucial to the safety of our nation,”

John Tomblin
                , WSU’s vice president for research and technology transfer, says in a press release. “This relationship has opened up connections that will benefit Wichita State students, faculty and staff, in addition to the state of Kansas, manufacturing industry, various DoD agencies and the nation as a whole.”
                Recent defense awards coming to WSU and NIAR include:

$33 million from the U.S. Army
                for advanced materials work on high-speed missiles.

$23.5 million from the U.S. Air Force
                for advanced materials and manufacturing related to aircraft sustainment.
                • $7 million form the Office of Naval Research for work related to advanced materials, manufacturing and digital modeling.

To...
                Last edited by ShockTalk; August 12, 2019, 04:12 PM. Reason: Readability.

Comment

• Fuzzy's is officially open for bidniss today.

IMO, it is our duty to God and country to support the Fuzzy's on-campus location. Even if you don't like Fuzzy's, there are eyes in the bushes watching to see how it fares before committing to the other large restaurant/bar space in Braeburn Square.

If we could land an Eskimo Joe's-type sports bar, the Shocker Nation pre- and post-game kingdom will be firmly established.

Go Shocks!
                  “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm anxious to try the WuShark taco, heard it's tasty...

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                  If we could land an Eskimo Joe's-type sports bar, the Shocker Nation pre- and post-game kingdom will be firmly established.
                  We do have this on campus: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowC3oECA0QBg

It draws a little pre-game activity but not a tremendous amount. I've alway thought their food was decent. Perhaps something at Braeburn would do better.

Comment

• Wuzee
                    Wuzee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I've pregamed there, but even a medium-sized crowd turns into ridiculously long waits for just-OK food and long lines for beer refills. I think that's why it doesn't do better. It does have the advantage of proximity to Koch, but the shuttle system stops at the Marcus Welcome Center, so if you allow about 10 minutes to catch a shuttle and ride the loop to Wiedemann Hall, it's pretty much the same distance to walk once parking is figured in.

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I guess my question would be is the lack of interest in the Shocker Grill and Bar due to the slow service or is the Shocker fan base just not real big into pregame gatherings.

• The hotel is finally going up.

Aug. 20, 2019 -- The first hotel on the Wichita State campus is beginning construction. A 106-room Hyatt Place hotel will break ground next week on Wichita State’s Innovation Campus, within walking distance of the new Fuzzy’s Tacos, the Shocker Store and Starbucks.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "The 'first' hotel on the Wichita State campus is beginning construction." I'm ready for the 'second'... bring on the Marriott. :)

• Construction starts on $6.1 million apartment project south of Wichita State

Comment

Working...
                  X