Major Winter Storm [Wed/Thurs]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    They adjust their expectations as they get new data from model runs - so it is educated guessing.
    I know things change, but it just seems weather people have more leeway than people in other jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
      I know things change, but it just seems weather people have more leeway than people in other jobs.
      Biggest fallacy that is said about weathermen.

There's a ton of money at stake when it comes to the weather and property, and meteorologists are paid to get it right, not wrong. If they get it horribly wrong then their out.

Weather is a dynamic system too, it's not like doing a chemical reaction, in which you can model every aspect of it. Grid size for Numerical Weather Models is too big. The smaller you make the grid size, the longer the calculations take.

Find a way to make computers 100000 times faster than they are now and then we can talk about meteorologists having too much leeway.

I'm not saying that computer models are the end all be all with weather prediction - there is a human element - but if people are gonna get mad about a forecast being wrong for two square mile radius then better faster numerical computations are going to be needed to get the accuracy of a weather model down to a 1-2km region for a large scale weather model.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

In fact, just today they shrunk the hurricane forecasts "Cone of Error" because it was too big for the amount of error spread seen in recent years.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
          Find a way to make computers 100000 times faster than they are now and then we can talk about meteorologists having too much leeway.
          Part of the problem is computer resources are not being allocated properly.

This is from Dr. Cliff Mass, professor at University of Wash.

The following
          • Misallocation of resources at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, parent agency of the National Weather Service.
          • Climate modeling diverting money and computing resources from weather forecasting and storm warnings.
          • Very serious management issues with the U.S. weather satellite program. Here again, we may have to "borrow" a weather satellite from the Europeans.

Comment

Good first round. I had 3.3 inches with 0.37 inches of actual water. Next round should be hitting later tonight.

Comment

It appears that I have about a foot here where I live. I can't recall ever seeing this much snow at once here.

Comment

Guessing more than a foot west of ICT......oh hell, quite a bit more

Comment

There's enough that my dogs have to jump from one place to the next outside. At least a foot.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

And thundersnow overnight! You know you live in Kansas when the biggest snowstorm in exactly 40 years (I remember the blizzard of 1971, with the snow over my head, of course I was three at the time, so...) includes thunder. Now if we get tornadosnow, I'm moving!

Best name I've seen for this storm. The Snowtorious B.I.G.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

The snowcover combined with the lightning strikes made it bright as day at 3 AM. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        The snowcover combined with the lightning strikes made it bright as day at 3 AM. Weird.
                        It was awesome if you got to witness it.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Sadly I fell asleep about thirty minutes before it happened... :(
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            There's enough that my dogs have to jump from one place to the next outside. At least a foot.
                            My dogs think they're at McDonalds, "They're lovin' it!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

My kid and I got a good chuckle out of that video. :)
                              Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                              Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

So thankful for the precipitation. And it is gorgeous. Ok, so it's somewhat of an inconvenience. I can live with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X