No announcement yet.

Best Hidden Gem Vacation Spot in US You Have Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other direction from Eagles Nest. South of Angel Fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      Northern New Mexico, south of Angel Fire on route 434, then west up the mountain to 6,800 feet my dad and I built a cabin 27 years ago. We’ve added to it and improved it over the years. It is definitely pretty special. You can drive 4.5 hours from my house here in Kansas (6.5 if my wife comes along) and we’re in a different world. We are an hour from Taos, an hour from Santa Fe. It makes a great hub to go explore southwest culture. For Catholics it is a unique area. Southwest Catholicism is a deep rich thing and it’s pretty humbling to experience firsthand.
      Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten about the northern New Mexico area. That's an incredible build....a skill I never could even fathom, much less do. I spent 10 days or so in that area fishing for trout...fishing, not catching, and enjoyed every moment. There's a calm and quiet there that is unmatched and even though the altitude can be a bear (breathing wise) I definitely need to go back. Santa Fe and Taos are beautiful as well. Great eating everywhere as well (in Santa Fe, the Blue Corn Cafe and Vanessie are tremendous).

Comment

Blue Corn is good. So many places, both in Taos and Santa Fe. Doc Martin’s in Taos is old school but absolute perfect attention to every little detail. Their blue corn crusted chile relleno plate is what I imagine they’ll be serving in heaven. IMG_8483.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          I spent 10 days or so in that area fishing for trout...fishing, not catching, and enjoyed every moment.
          Taneycomo can be a bit busy at times but good trout fishing nonetheless.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

Taneycomo can be a bit busy at times but good trout fishing nonetheless.
            500,000 trout dumped into a “Lake” that comes off the bottom of Table Rock, and is 52 degrees almost year round.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

500,000 trout dumped into a “Lake” that comes off the bottom of Table Rock, and is 52 degrees almost year round.
              They may have upped the stocking.

Missouri Division of Tourism:

"Lake Taneycomo is one of the great trout fishing destinations in the country. The lake originally was a section of the White River; since the completion of the Table Rock Lake Dam, Taneycomo has been fed by the bottom waters of Table Rock Lake.

The temperature at Taneycomo is about 58 degrees year-round. Lake Taneycomo is stocked annually with 750,000 10-inch to 12-inch brown and rainbow trout.

The uppermost portion of the lake is reserved for artificial lures only. These headwaters are also ideal for fly fishing. A Missouri fishing license is required to fish and a trout permit is required for fishing Taneycomo between the Table Rock Dam and the U.S. Highway 65 bridges. Anglers must have a trout permit to possess trout anywhere on the lake."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

They may have upped the stocking.

Missouri Division of Tourism:

"Lake Taneycomo is one of the great trout fishing destinations in the country. The lake originally was a section of the White River; since the completion of the Table Rock Lake Dam, Taneycomo has been fed by the bottom waters of Table Rock Lake.

The temperature at Taneycomo is about 58 degrees year-round. Lake Taneycomo is stocked annually with 750,000 10-inch to 12-inch brown and rainbow trout.

The uppermost portion of the lake is reserved for artificial lures only. These headwaters are also ideal for fly fishing. A Missouri fishing license is required to fish and a trout permit is required for fishing Taneycomo between the Table Rock Dam and the U.S. Highway 65 bridges. Anglers must have a trout permit to possess trout anywhere on the lake."
                The trout likely come from Roaring River Hatchery. Another place worth visiting and a little over an hour from Taneycomo.

12716 FR 1090, Cassville, MO 65625
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

The trout likely come from Roaring River Hatchery. Another place worth visiting and a little over an hour from Taneycomo.

12716 FR 1090, Cassville, MO 65625
                  Been there. However, I believe Shepard of the Hills Fish Hatchery below Table Rock Dam is the main supplier to Taneycomo. Been there, too.

Comment

I moved to the best vacation spot I found.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Anyone remember watching Harold Ensley and Virgil Ward regularly fishing at Taneycomo?

Comment

Gone Fishin…..instead of just a wishin

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                          Anyone remember watching Harold Ensley and Virgil Ward regularly fishing at Taneycomo?
                          Harold was a fine human being. WstateU tuned in weekly.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Since I'd mentioned earlier in the thread we were going there, here's what happened at Yellowstone today. We were standing right next to that just last Thursday.

Comment

Another good ol' Yellowstone Explosion sponsored by Taco Bell. Thank goodness it was just a single Taco Event and not the Grilled Cheese Burrito Deluxe Cravings Box Event that everyone has been fearing.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                My wife and I did the Sunday Gulch Trail. Maybe the most beautiful hike we ever took and Sylvan Lake is a beautiful little lake. Not that we are real avid hikers.
                                We did go to Sylvan Lake. It was a Saturday, so very crowded. But the lake loop trail was nice. We were going to also do the Sunday Gulch Trail but my wife's knee wasn't up for it. Your description of it has me excited to do it if we get back there like we plan.

The Needles Highway is quite a drive. Pulled in my mirrors just to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X