KC Chiefs to Kansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    I don't know what the level of support was for in StL not being able to retain the Rams if any resolutions to save the Rams was not supported by the KC area perhaps there could be some pushback by StL to not support any initiative to save the Chiefs and or Royals. Should be fun to watch.
    The STL people can also use the fact that the KC fan base won't be put out by a move to Kansas as a reason not to support a major effort to save them. Yes, KCMO would lose revenue but the fans would still have easy access and it's not like when Rams fans lost their team to the other side of the country.

It will be interesting to follow what comes out of Jefferson City over the next six months or so.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It sounds like we may have an idea in the direction by the end of the year. I don't think there will be anything conclusive as I think the Chiefs will be pushing for a new stadium. As much as most everyone loves Arrowhead, it's 60ish years old and has limitations, as does the area it's located.

Chiefs President Mark Donovan said the future location of the team’s home games “is a generational decision,” according to Seckington & Jackson of K.C.-based WDAF-Fox. As the location of their stadium “hangs in the balance,” Donovan said, “This is going to impact the future of this franchise for generations. We have got to get it right.” Kansas and Missouri leaders are “both making a push for that future to be on their turf.” Donovan: “What makes the most sense for our fans, what makes the most sense for our franchise and this organization and what makes the most sense that can have the biggest impact on this region.” Seckington & Jackson noted Donovan was “praising the efforts” of Kansas lawmakers in their quick action in passing star bond legislation, “opening the door” to a Chiefs’ stadium in the Sunflower state. Donovan said that the team is “in discussion with both Kansas and Missouri stakeholders.” While no decision has been made just yet, six months from now they will “have a better idea of what the next stage is.” Seckington & Jackson wrote what is clear is that the Chiefs “are moving forward separately from the Royals.” Donovan said, “We are jointly in agreement that it makes sense to go separate” (FOX4KC.com, 7/19).​
      Word is Missouri is working on something to combat the Kansas STAR bonds offer. The Chiefs aren't likely to put forth another vote in front of Missouri residents if they don't have public support from Missouri.

In K.C., Sam McDowell wrote those involved in ongoing discussions about the Chiefs’ future home “have flip-flopped their own predictions" in conversations over the past several weeks, which is “perhaps symbolic of the twist and turns.” The Chiefs have the “atypical advantage of gaining leverage” after having a vote that “not only failed but failed quite convincingly.” The options, after all, “have swelled,” and they have “emerged publicly.” Donovan said Friday it would be “difficult to really create a partnership” on the Missouri side that does not include putting another vote before the public. McDowell wrote based on numerous conversations, it is “increasingly difficult” to envision the Chiefs “putting another vote before the public without accompanying support from the state and county.” McDowell: “The Chiefs would not be eager -- or even willing, I might even say -- to put another measure in front of voters if that kind of opposition from public leadership exists, particularly when it might be absent elsewhere.” He added the Chiefs also had “not sealed their potential state financial contributions" before the April vote -- and “offered the leverage of a potential Kansas option, they consider that vital to any future plans.” House Majority Leader Jonathan Patterson, a Lee’s Summit Republican, said that while he expects another vote to take place at some point, the state "will probably not work on putting together a package until after the August primaries.” That is “a tight turnaround,” given the Chiefs would “like to know their future in the next six months” (K.C. STAR, 7/19).​
      I'm hoping that Kansas wins this battle and we get a new, retractable roof stadium out at Legends. With that said, I get the feeling that Hunt would like to stay in Missouri if possible and might accept a deal that offers less to stay. Would they be willing to stay at Truman or would they need to find another place in the KCMO metro to build? I'm hopeful that the MO political battle holds up their end and that Kansas is essentially the best and only option for a new stadium.

As long as they don't announce that they're wanting to renovate Arrowhead at the end of the year, there will be hope. Also, we may have a better feel for what the state of MO politics is around this issue.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

As long as it doesn’t cost us (taxpayers) more money, I say full steam ahead.

Comment

Basically, there are lots of steps that have to happen to keep the Chiefs in Missouri. I put it at 80% the Chiefs will be in Kansas.

Someone I know who looked at more detailed polling about the failed vote to continue a 3/8 sales tax said there were many people opposed it because they didn't want the Royals to move downtown - because it would be a bit further drive.
          Last edited by ABC; July 26, 2024, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Reading an article on KCTV5, I'll link it if I pull it up on the computer, has some Missouri info on what's currently being thrown around.

Apparently there was a proposal by someone to put on the ballot in November a 40 year, 3/8 cent sales tax in Jackson County for the Chiefs to renovate Arrowhead. He left the Royals completely out of his proposal. Some other guy has come in and wants to amend the proposal to say funding is for the Truman Sports Complex, and not either team in particular, he wants to drop it to a 1/4 sales tax and he wants it to have a sunset date of 5 years after there are no teams left at the complex.

This guy seems to think that if there's some source of funding, neither the NFL or MLB will let the teams move out of market. I suppose the Royals could move out of market as there has been some speculation that Nashville wants a baseball team and may be interested in the Royals. The Chiefs aren't leaving the market but may move to Kansas. I don't think the NFL or MLB would see moving to the other side of the metro as leaving the market.

Personally, I don't see how either of these really offer much to either team. The Royals are determined to build a new stadium somewhere. Hopefully they stay in the KC area and I'd love to see them in Kansas somewhere. The Chiefs I think are more open to building new than they were maybe a year or two ago. I still fear that nostalgia could keep them in Arrowhead, but Clark and his people also aren't stupid and they know what a new stadium could do for revenue. Especially if they own land near the stadium and can build profit generating businesses on them, which is essentially what the Royals have said they want to do.

Business brained me doesn't see how either proposal should keep either team interested. It would be somewhat interesting to see what the voters would do with the Chiefs and Royals being separate, but it doesn't get there unless the Chiefs are on board with the proposal. At least the first proposal. I suppose the second one doesn't require either of them being on board as if they both left, those funds would be used for maintenance or demolition depending on how they'd want to proceed.

Link to KCTV5 story
            Last edited by SubGod22; July 30, 2024, 09:33 AM. Reason: Added link
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This doesn't hurt the Kansas cause.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
              X