• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocker Basketball/Baseball
    KC Royals
    Miami Heat

some others, but won't list everything haha
    Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Fred White, Denny Mathews and producer/engineer Ed Shepard I believe. Often times listened on a little transistor on my pillow as I fell asleep. Nothing like waking up to a little battery acid right next to your eye because you left it on all night. Not exactly the problems of the modern day kid.

Enjoy the moment....indeed.
      I was a big St. Louis Cardinals fan back in the 1960's and listened to the KMOX broadcast team of Harry Caray, Jack Buck and Joe Garagiola... I'd dial in my transistor radio to KMOX and hold it where I could get the best reception. I switched my loyalties to the Royals in the late 70's and was enamored with George Brett's 1980 attempt at batting.400 (I think he finished at .390).

Baseball was pure and was definitely my favorite sport. Unfortunately, it all changed on August 12, 1994 with the strike. I was done with MLB baseball, and it's never been the same for me. I still watch an occasional MLB game when a former Shocker is playing, but that's about it. I'll check for Cardinals and Royals results and hope they win, but a loss doesn't affect me.

I know...

Oh, the Shockers in every sport... I really don't care about anything else.
      Last edited by WstateU; May 8, 2024, 01:38 PM.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Fred White, Denny Mathews and producer/engineer Ed Shepard I believe. Often times listened on a little transistor on my pillow as I fell asleep. Nothing like waking up to a little battery acid right next to your eye because you left it on all night. Not exactly the problems of the modern day kid.

Enjoy the moment....indeed.
        In that blazing hot summer of 1980, I charted the score of every game on a piece of posterboard tacked up on the wall in my room. I'm pretty sure mom did not appreciate me staying up super late on school nights to finish listening to a west coast game! George Brett's chase for .400, and then finally shedding the Yankee monkey made for a great summer. I played Babe Ruth baseball that summer, and of course the gang and I would play pickup baseball nearly every day. We got really good at using ghost runners when you are playing 3 on 3 or even 2 on 2! My friends and I also had a great time playing Longball, kind of a Strat-O-Matic knockoff. It was a great diversion on a rainy day, or that summer, when it was 110° in the shade in mid afternoon.

image.png
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

In that blazing hot summer of 1980, I charted the score of every game on a piece of posterboard tacked up on the wall in my room. I'm pretty sure mom did not appreciate me staying up super late on school nights to finish listening to a west coast game! George Brett's chase for .400, and then finally shedding the Yankee monkey made for a great summer. I played Babe Ruth baseball that summer, and of course the gang and I would play pickup baseball nearly every day. We got really good at using ghost runners when you are playing 3 on 3 or even 2 on 2! My friends and I also had a great time playing Longball, kind of a Strat-O-Matic knockoff. It was a great diversion on a rainy day, or that summer, when it was 110° in the shade in mid afternoon.

image.png
          I’ve heard many stories about scorching hot summer. My dad spent Basic Training for Army Reserves at Fort Dix in New Jersey. While there, Dad asked Mom to marry him over the phone on Father’s Day. (He wasn’t the smoothest cat, but he was my hero anyway.)

78-65

Comment

Wichita St. Shocker Basketball
            KC Chiefs
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

1) WSU Men’s BB
              2) StL Cardinals
              3) KC Chiefs

Through the good and bad, highest mountain top or lowest valley, winning or losing I will always root for these teams.

TV or radio, I will be watching or listening whenever they play.

Comment

1) Chiefs. My first love. Been a fan since 12-25-71.
                2) Shocker Softball. I have been a long time softball fan (thank you Jennie Finch). I'm all in for our ladies now.
                3) Royals. George Brett was my hero growing up.
                4) Shocker Basketball. Have to admit this has slipped. I hate the free agency we call the transfer portal.
                Go Shocks!

Comment

Chiefs. Like many, I was diehard.
                  WSU basketball. This used to be switched with chiefs.

I don’t know that I feverishly follow anything else, although I do enjoy other events. I usually keep up with the T&F world.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                    Chiefs. Like many, I was diehard.
                    WSU basketball. This used to be switched with chiefs.

I don’t know that I feverishly follow anything else, although I do enjoy other events. I usually keep up with the T&F world.
                    Come on man, you don't have to be embarrassed about your love for the Iditarod.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Come on man, you don't have to be embarrassed about your love for the Iditarod.
                      There is nothing more annoying than sled dogs. My snowmachine is loud, but only when I’m braapin’ it up.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                      X