Favorite Team in all of sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Team in all of sports

Taking an informal poll for a post I’ll be making soon. I don’t need a long-winded answer. Just tell me your favorite team in all of sports. I suppose if it’s like choosing between your children, then go ahead and give me multiple. But don’t make it like 6-8 teams. All of us probably have 1 or 2 teams that have a definitive spot at the top of the favorites list. I want to know your ABSOLUTE FAVORITE…

For me, mine are…
    1A: Denver Broncos
    1B: WSU Men’s Basketball (though it’s starting to fall to 2)

(And being a WSU board, there should be lots of Shocker votes. If you have all WSU teams as equal in your favoritism, note that. If there is a specific team/teams that ranks higher to you, note that too.)
    Last edited by WuShock16; May 7, 2024, 11:51 PM.
    78-65

Kansas City Chiefs
    Wichita State

Comment

Wichita State
      St Louis Cardinals

Comment

Wichita State
        Anyone playing KU

Comment

Shox Basketball/Baseball
          USMNT
          Carlos Sainz ... he's a smoooooth operator
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Growing up we watched everything "local". Due to that, first and foremost I'd probably have to say the Chiefs and Royals were always at the top, but since I haven't been able to really watch the Royals in recent years due to a shitty TV deal, it would just be the Chiefs now.

WSU basketball would be next at this point.
            Last edited by SubGod22; May 8, 2024, 11:56 AM. Reason: Removed softball after Kristi B's dismissive comments about fans
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

1. Wichita State Basketball
              2. US Men's Soccer

I pull for the Chiefs and Royals and I'm excited when they do well. But they don't compare to the top 2.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
                Wichita State
                Anyone playing KU
                FTFW

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Growing up we watched everything "local". Due to that, first and foremost I'd probably have to say the Chiefs and Royals were always at the top, but since I haven't been able to really watch the Royals in recent years due to a shitty TV deal, it would just be the Chiefs now.

WSU basketball and softball would be next at this point.
                  Bad tv deal, but the Royals are getting interesting to watch again. Last two were losses, but they went down to the final inning or extra inning. They are currently in the Top 5 (15 Teams) of ALL Divisions in the American League. They are quite competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Bad tv deal, but the Royals are getting interesting to watch again. Last two were losses, but they went down to the final inning or extra inning. They are currently in the Top 5 (15 Teams) of ALL Divisions in the American League. They are quite competitive.
                    But if you can't watch them... Out of sight, out of mind.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

But if you can't watch them... Out of sight, out of mind.
                      I think that is a loss for you. I'm enjoying following the team anyway. Lugo and Reagans are top notch starting pitchers. Singer is pretty consistently good too. If several players (besides Witt who is hitting 324) learn how to consistently hit (260-300 might do the trick), they could compete like they did in 2014 and 2015.

Comment

I know I'm old, and believe me when I say that video broadcasting of sports is an irreplaceable gem these days.....but I think one might be missing out if you ignore the voice broadcast...radio. It allows for multitasking, that so many of us could utilize more than we do. But it also keeps your brain working and functioning. You have to develop what you hear. I think that's a positive thing. Just my .02

I have thought about this question for a long time. I'm not sure of the answer. We each have our own criteria I suppose. I go round and round...which is most enjoyable to watch....which winning the ultimate prize is most important.....which team am I invested the most heavily within? IDK

If I take my entire life of fandom, it has to be Shocker basketball. My life was too busy at the time to fully embrace and enjoy Shocker baseball in '89 (although I was at most every game at home). Which team evokes the most emotion? I don't know that I will ever relive the emotion felt from volleyball. That matters.

In this moment though, it's Shocker baseball. I want those young men to see success more than any other.

Comment

I hear you Doc, regarding the radio broadcast. In my formative years the Royals were in their decade of greatness (76-85), but their TV appearances were few and far between. So pretty much every night the radio in the kitchen was tuned to the Royals Radio Network and I listened to Denny and Fred call countless games. Like you said, you could do other things while the game was on, though I usually would stop and just listen in the late innings.

I'm like I've seen alluded to above, a "local teams" kid. Chiefs and Royals through the good, bad, and ugly. My heart though, belongs to the Shockers. I have found in recent years that I feel less "live or die" with how Shocker teams are doing, because I decided that I'm not going to make myself an emotional wreck over a game that my only connection to is as a fan. Gave myself a ten minute rule for being pissy after a frustrating loss. The only deep emotion I show anymore are for things I'm personally invested in. Watching my son's athletic endeavors is one, which with him being a junior are coming to a close soon, plus he plays golf so you have to maintain reasonable decorum on the course. The other is the team I help coach, an age 7-8 coach pitch League 42 team. We're just one year out of t-ball, so hilarity still happens a lot, but some of the kids are starting to understand all the weird nuances of baseball. I did this cycle with my son's teams from t-ball through the 13-14 age group, and now I'm helping with the team my nephew is on. It will be fun to see how some of these kids progress as we move up the age brackets.

Enjoy the moments!
                          Last edited by ShockBand; May 8, 2024, 12:34 PM.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

1. Team UAE Professional Cycling Team
                            (and I'll watch Pro riders that don't belong to that team: Wout Van Aert, Mathieu VanDerPoel, Jonas Vingegaard)
                            2. Wichita State Basketball

I don't watch any pro football, baseball or basketball, but will occasionally catch highlights of Fred and others when they're posted on SN.

Comment

Fred White, Denny Mathews and producer/engineer Ed Shepard I believe. Often times listened on a little transistor on my pillow as I fell asleep. Nothing like waking up to a little battery acid right next to your eye because you left it on all night. Not exactly the problems of the modern day kid.

Enjoy the moment....indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X