No announcement yet.

League 42 Vandalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridiculous. Feel really bad for Bob, and I'm not really a part of his fan club.

Should be a wax replica out there somewhere, if they kept it, to allow another casting. Pretty sure that's how those things are made, but not my wheelhouse.

Comment

Actually, this will gather national publicity for Bob and his project. He will probably have more donations flowing in than ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        It would not be cheap to melt it down.
        Stolen firewood and an iron pot are expensive?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Actually, this will gather national publicity for Bob and his project. He will probably have more donations flowing in than ever before.
          You are 100% correct. Bob probably stole the statue himself.

Comment

That's a good point.

Comment

I hope so. But if not, and if SHOCKvalue is correct (and based on history, I'm sure he is) and they have a cast, I would sure like to give something to help make another, as I'm sure many would.

Don't have to like the guy to appreciate the good he's done with L42.

Comment

Bob Lutz @boblutz

I just finished an interview with a reporter from the New York Times. The power of Jackie Robinson is enormous.

Comment

Wichita Community Stunned by Theft of Jackie Robinson Statue

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2024/01/2...tatue-n2169316

The city of Wichita, Kansas, was shocked on Friday morning when it was revealed that a beloved statue of Jackie Robinson had been stolen from McAdams Park. As the local police department searches for the thieves, the incident resonates far beyond the actual criminal act and has struck a chord with those who value the cultural and historical significance of the statue and the man it represents.

Surveillance video embedded in the article.

The local Crimestoppers organization has offered up to $2,500 for tips leading to an arrest and $5,000 for the recovery of the statue.

Other Online Reports on the incidence in addition to local media::
                  BBC
                  ABC News
                  New York Times
                  Fox News
                  MLB.com
                  USA Today
                  New York Daily News
                  Yahoo Sports
                  CNN
                  ESPN
                  Huffington Post
                  NBC 5 - Dallas Ft. Worth
                  Daily Mail
                  Washington Post
                  Sports Illustrated (RIP)

And I am sure many more. Two of those are British news publicatitons.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 27, 2024, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Occasionally, I recycle scrap metal. There is a place in Omaha where you can just dump and get paid. You scale in, self dump, then scale out. Show your ID and get paid. A brass statue would be easy. Cut it into smaller pieces and mix it with ordinary scrap metal. You won't get top dollar for brass, but by the time anyone notices, there would be no way to connect the dots between you and the statue. A couple of brass statues, cut up Walmart carts, some odds and ends to mix in, and you certainly can pull in some cash. A well packed pickup can garner about $200.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I had no idea the Huffpaint Post was still in existence.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        Occasionally, I recycle scrap metal. There is a place in Omaha where you can just dump and get paid. You scale in, self dump, then scale out. Show your ID and get paid. A brass statue would be easy. Cut it into smaller pieces and mix it with ordinary scrap metal. You won't get top dollar for brass, but by the time anyone notices, there would be no way to connect the dots between you and the statue.
                        At least one place in Wichita works exactly like this. After demo a building we'd just haul random metal crap and self dump and get paid by the pound, they weren't even there when you were dumping stuff. Sure, they took your ID ... but so what?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

At least one place in Wichita works exactly like this. After demo a building we'd just haul random metal crap and self dump and get paid by the pound, they weren't even there when you were dumping stuff. Sure, they took your ID ... but so what?
                          Mix in chunks of concrete? Why not?

Comment

Not familiar with scrap yards, however from what ya’ll are saying…seems unlikely it’s recovered in one piece, if at all. That’s a real shame.

Comment

Mix in chunks of concrete? Why not?
                              You wouldn't be the first to try it.

Comment

Pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to scrap it in Wichita. Most of the folks who run scrap operations in town are just one rung up the ladder from the thiefs themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X