Worst Officiating Call that HELPED Your Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Officiating Call that HELPED Your Team

It’s July. There’s not much else to talk about right now. Kind of the dog days of the sports year.

I was talking with a friend about painful sports endings, and we each naturally talk about where our teams got screwed on bad calls. It made me think of this query to see if anyone would admit to this.

What was the worst officiating call that helped your team?

As a Yankees fan, the Jeter home run in the 1996 ALCS where the kid reached over the wall to interfere has to come to mind. Yeah, no defense of that one.

As a Broncos fan, I remember in 2008 where the Broncos were trying to drive for a late score. Jay Cutler clearly fumbled but a ref inadvertently blew a whistle, so it had to be blown dead. Broncos would keep possession and scored TD and 2pt conversion to beat the Chargers.

I am trying to think of one for Shocker Basketball, but none are coming to mind right away. For baseball in the Irvine Super Regional in 2007, WSU was trying to rally in T9th There was a bang-bang play at first where WSU was called out. Crowd and Shocker dugout went nuts. Umpires got together and overturned call, even though replay review was not a thing at that point. WSU ended up getting two-out hit to tie game, though Irvine won it in B9th.

Any others you want to admit to?
    78-65

conference tourney St Louis. Who remembers?

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

conference tourney St Louis. Who remembers?
      Are you outing yourself as a Creighton fan?
      78-65

Comment

Don Denkinger!

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Are you outing yourself as a Creighton fan?
          No. Sarcastic comment that was in truth the biggest screw job we encountered in the Lou.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

No. Sarcastic comment that was in truth the biggest screw job we encountered in the Lou.
            Yes. We all remember that as a complete screw job. I was there in STL that night.

But that wasn’t my question. Fans always remember the screw jobs against them. I asked about ones that helped your team.

78-65

Comment

I can’t remember any bad calls that ever went our way.

Comment

The entire 2021 season when good teams kept cancelling our matches. We won a conference title we really didn't earn due to some bad decisions on covid protocol.
                Last edited by Kung Wu; July 15, 2023, 02:15 PM.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Maradona's Hand of God goal is the greatest example of a screw job panning out for his own fans I can think of, but the question was more targeted at WSU.

Didn't we get sent to overtime on a pretty bad call that went our way just this year? Can't remember the game or circumstance but I remember thinking we got a super lucky call that gave us a chance to win a game.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It wasn't a bad call, at all, but it was a call that is passed on maybe 19 out of 20 times.

3G called out Higgy, and Higgy rang up little Stockton going out of bounds which led to a 5 point possession and the lead vs the Zags.

Comment

Can’t remember the player, whoever was called safe at 1st, Game 6 I think, Royals World Series in 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                        Can’t remember the player, whoever was called safe at 1st, Game 6 I think, Royals World Series in 1985.
                        Jorge Orta was called safe (clearly out) leading off the bottom of the 9th with the Royals trailing 1-0 in the game and 3-2 in the Series.

The 1B umpire, Don Denkinger passed away a couple of months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Jorge Orta was called safe (clearly out) leading off the bottom of the 9th with the Royals trailing 1-0 in the game and 3-2 in the Series.

was he murdered?

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                            Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I can't even claim this one because I'm a lifelong Cardinal fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I can't even claim this one because I'm a lifelong Cardinal fan.

Me too. Cardinals fan for life. Worst call in the history of baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X