No announcement yet.

Other Kansas News From Outside The Metro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who has no talent for music, but truly appreciates it and has known or had connections with local artists who have striven to get bigger and become more recognized, I like this effort that started in Hays.

Hays Post - 7eight5.com amplifies local music scene with a focus on Kansas artists

Launched at the beginning of 2023, 7eight5.com looks to put a spotlight on local musicians, bands and performances.

Co-founded by Harrison Brent and Chelsea Kaundart, the website features written news, photos, and podcasts in an effort to provide an immersive dive into the local music scene.

“The goal of 7eight5.com is to be able to highlight, not just the music events in the in the area, but to highlight, local bands, area bands, and also larger bands that are coming through.”

Giving a voice to the local music community, he said, helps the bands get the exposure the bigger names acts receive as they perform in the area.

“I would love to get those people that go to those shows then come to the local shows, come to the smaller shows, especially like the ones with the Rose Garden or Bad Times, the Sip and Spin, the Brass Rail or whenever they have it,” Brent said. “See what you might like. You never know who the next artist is that's going to get big.”

And while the website began focusing on Hays, it has quickly expanded to cover a larger geographic area.

“In the last couple of months, we've really kind of expanded into Dodge City, Wichita, Lawrence in Kansas City,” Brent said.

“Wherever there's music, we'd like to be there.”
    I know I'd love to spend more time checking out the local music scene and this seems to be a cool way to try and keep tabs on what's going on throughout the state. I know there are some who keep tabs on the Wichita area, I think EB does to some extent, but for those in other areas of the state, this may be a current or future avenue to discover what's going on or new artists you may want to check out. I know not everyone on this board is from the metro area and I think most of us realize that those chasing this dream struggle to find footing or a following because most simply aren't aware of them or what's going on.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Here's something different.

KSNT - 'R-rated' Paranormal Cirque coming soon to Topeka

The Paranormal Cirque is set to arrive in the Capital City next month for a string of shows that you won’t be able to bring your kids to. The performance beneath the group’s black and red “Clown Castle” promises to deliver a host of surprises, scares and amusement to all who dare attend, according to Paranormal Cirque’s website.

Paranormal Cirque features acrobats, illusionists, mysterious creatures and more that separate the show from traditional circus performances, according to their website.

A warning label comes attached to this show. Paranormal Cirque is restricted to those under the age of 13, while those 13-17 must have a parent or guardian accompany them that is over the age of 21. The R-rated status of Paranormal Cirque comes from the show’s use of adult language and material not intended for those under the age of 17.
      Five shows running from Friday, July 7 to Sunday, July 9.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Hays Post - Michelin to invest more than $100 million into Junction City operation

Governor Laura Kelly celebrates the announcement that Michelin will invest more than $100 million into its Junction City operations over the next five years, creating 200 new jobs, according to a media release from her office.

The investment will increase the company’s production capacity of Camso rubber tracks for agricultural equipment.

“Michelin’s expansion is further proof that the work we are doing to recruit, retain, and expand business in the state is paying off,” Governor Laura Kelly said. “Now, 200 more Kansans will have quality jobs and Junction City will continue to grow, benefiting the state as a whole.”

“At Michelin, we are proud to partner with our customers who are meeting the challenge of feeding the world more efficiently while protecting the environment,” Michelin North America President and CEO Alexis Garcin said. “This investment in agricultural tracks capacity is further evidence of our commitment to bring Michelin’s all-sustainable strategy to life in North America, positioning the company as a leader in this fast-growing market segment and creating careers that will benefit 200 families in the community.”
        Always good to see business investment in the state.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Missed this but think it's kind of cool.

KSNT - Emporia hosts 2023 Dynamic Discs Open

One of the biggest annual events in professional disc golf is underway in Emporia.

The Dynamic Discs Open teed off on Friday, June 16, for the three-day event. Quickly becoming the largest disc golf tournament in the world, Emporia has become a haven for disc golfers everywhere.

“[Dynamic Discs] having its headquarters here, is just a magnet for disc golfers and I think they’ve got that going for them,” World No. 7 disc golfer Isaac Robinson said. “It’s just a great place to be around. It’s neat to be able to play with people from Europe, Finland, Sweden. To have them in the middle of nowhere, Kansas, it’s a pretty cool thing to see.”
          I haven't played in years (used to play with my ex) but always enjoyed playing disc golf. It's a lot of fun and you get some good walking in. Some cities have taken it more seriously than others and it appears Emporia is doing it right.

And having a large event that brings in people from all over the world is pretty cool.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

WBJ - Viega to expand production capacity in McPherson

Plumbing and piping manufacturer Viega LLC plans to spend $70 million over two years in expanding its production capacity at its 1 million square-foot facility in McPherson, the company said this week.

The first wave of investment is planned for $14 million and will increase the company's ProPress pipe-fitting production ability.

"As we continue to grow the business, we are bringing more production to the United States," president and CEO Markus Brettschneider said in a statement. "These investments in our U.S. footprint will further support demand and leverage the talented U.S. manufacturing workforce, starting with the expansion of production capacity in Kansas."
            Sounds like they plan on adding around 100 jobs in Mac.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This could have also gone in the 316 thread, butt I believe the hope for this is to benefit western Kansas.

WBJ - Wichita osteopathic med school sets up another admissions partnership

FHSU marks the first public university to partner with KansasCOM.

Fort Hays students who meet the requirements will have the opportunity to transition to medical school in the summer of 2024.

“In more rural and underserved areas of our state, like Hays, we know that recruiting highly-qualified, Kansas-based students from the communities facing the greatest need for physicians is one of the best ways to train physicians who understand the unique perspective and value of rural communities,” said Tiffany Masson, who is KansasCOM president.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Definitely outside the metro, but close enough. Gotta give it to Oklahoma; they're always thinking big...

‘Americana-themed’ amusement park the size of Disney’s Magic Kingdom is coming to Oklahoma | KRON4
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Definitely outside the metro, but close enough. Gotta give it to Oklahoma; they're always thinking big...

‘Americana-themed’ amusement park the size of Disney’s Magic Kingdom is coming to Oklahoma | KRON4
                    Respect. That sounds like it's got a lot of potential and if done right could be a huge success. I still can't believe the Wichita area hasn't had an amusement/theme park take hold. I know we had a shitty attempt by someone who had no business actually doing it, but I think a decent sized park with some actual thrill rides would kill here.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Kind of an odd location between Tulsa and Joplin?

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Looking for the hillbilly crowd… I hope I don’t offend any hillbilly’s.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yeah, there has to be something the folks who are financing this aren’t saying.

Some thoughts: Businesses in the Grand Lake/Grove area struggle enough to find employees. Not sure where they will find people to work. Grand Lake is awesome, but not a lot of people around to employ, assuming they have to pass a drug test.

A couple hours away…Silver Dollar City. Few hours to the north, Worlds of Fun. Five-ish hours to the south, Six Flags. Lots of destination competition for the Amusement Park dollar.

Half way between Tulsa and OKC on Route 66 would make more sense. Again, must be a reason why they didn’t do that. Perhaps it may have something to do with Tribal land? Who knows.

For the record, I hope it goes and does well. I just see some risks and obstacles that I’m not sure how they overcome it.

Comment

The Samsung Battery deal looks like it is the gift that keeps taking. See where Evergy is asking for yet another rate increase on top of the other price hike still pending. Samsung mean while will probably qualify for reduced rates for its new manufacturing facility as well as Federal subsidies. When first announced it looked like a good deal even though it was in NE Kansas but it looks like it will cost us in the SC part as well. I pretty much know how the Regulatory commission will rubber stamp this after limited public discussion and then make the decision in a closed session.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              The Samsung Battery deal looks like it is the gift that keeps taking. See where Evergy is asking for yet another rate increase on top of the other price hike still pending. Samsung mean while will probably qualify for reduced rates for its new manufacturing facility as well as Federal subsidies. When first announced it looked like a good deal even though it was in NE Kansas but it looks like it will cost us in the SC part as well. I pretty much know how the Regulatory commission will rubber stamp this after limited public discussion and then make the decision in a closed session.
                              Let Joco and Douglas county pay the rate increases.

What is Bel Aire’s chip factory impact going to be regarding potential rate increases?

Comment

It is a weird location in the immediate vicinity, but I'd guess it is within 60-90 minutes of probably 2M people in Tulsa metro, SW MO, and NW AR.

Comment

Working...
                                X