Wichita Wizards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita Wizards

I forgot all about this team. Thankfully Taylor wrote an article. Sounds like the league they were in fell apart so the owner of the the Wizards worked on creating a new league. The team plays at Friends.

Yahoo! - New league, new look, same winning results the goal for Wichita Wizards basketball team

After bringing professional basketball to Wichita in 2019 by creating his own team, Mark Creed has continued his passion project by helping create a new league for the Wizards to compete in.

The Mid-America Basketball Association debuted last weekend with the Wichita Wizards picking up a 115-106 win over the Kansas City Stealth at Garvey Center on Friends University’s campus.

Creed said fans can expect the same things from the Wizards: local talent winning big. The team has won its conference championship in all three years of its existence, a trend the Wizards hope to continue this season.

“I started the Wizards because I wanted to provide Wichita natives the chance to play professional basketball,” Creed said. “So it’s important to me that the majority of our players have always been native Wichitans or people who have moved here and now live here. Hopefully we can show that we can compete with everybody in our new league and see where we come out.”
    Sounds like they've started small but are focused on doing it right with this new league. Will be interesting to see if they can succeed and grow the league.

Wichita Wizards website

It's odd that they don't have a roster on the website. I'd be curious to know who else is on the team other that the couple mentioned in the article.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I had forgotten all about them, as well until a month or so ago. My step-daughter is scheduled to sing the anthem at one of their games later this month.

Comment

Eagle - Murdock father-son combination helps Wichita Wizards win first basketball title

It’s safe to say Jun has carved out his own piece in family history with his play this year.

The 5-foot-11 guard finished his collegiate career this past spring by averaging 18.3 points, 4.9 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.8 steals at Kansas Wesleyan, earning NAIA third-team All-America honors.

And then, this past weekend, Murdock scored 22 points to help lead the Wichita Wizards to their first minor-league title in a 138-99 victory over the Oklahoma Kings in the Mid-America Basketball Association championship game. After averaging 31.3 points, 7.2 rebounds and 8.6 assists over the course of an undefeated season, Murdock was named league MVP.

Adding to the experience was the fact that his father, Johnny, was the Wizards’ coach.

“I’m so proud of him because you can see his growth,” Johnny Murdock said. “He was always in his brother’s shadow or my shadow growing up, but now he’s made a whole name for himself. And that’s what we all strive for as basketball players is to make our own name. He’s done that. And he’s got bigger and better things on the way.”
      It's a good story by Taylor (go figure).

Honestly, I wish we had better local coverage of the Wizards, SkyKings, Regulators and such. Not that I'm asking Taylor to do more than he already does, which is a lot, but it would be nice if the semi-pro teams outside of the Wind Surge got more publicity.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Honestly, I wish we had better local coverage of the Wizards, SkyKings, Regulators and such. Not that I'm asking Taylor to do more than he already does, which is a lot, but it would be nice if the semi-pro teams outside of the Wind Surge got more publicity.
        He would if they generated clicks by subscribers.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Every time I see this I think it’s a soccer thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
            Every time I see this I think it’s a soccer thread.
            Me too! Hahaha

Like a Sporting KC minor league team.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Me too! Hahaha

Like a Sporting KC minor league team.
              Plus a youth team in Wichita back in the day.

Comment

Working...
              X