No announcement yet.

Another one bites the dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Maravich Dies at 42; Son of CBB, NBA Legend Pete Played at LSU from 2001-05 | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Cause of death was not released but believed to be the same cause as his father. Josh was a walk-on at LSU.

Comment

• ESPN - NBA all-time great Jerry West dies at age 86

Jerry West, who was selected to the Basketball Hall of Fame three times in a storied career as a player and executive and whose silhouette is considered to be the basis of the NBA logo, died Wednesday morning at the age of 86, the LA Clippers announced.

West was the third player in NBA history to reach 25,000 points, was an All-Star every year of his career and led the Los Angeles Lakers to the NBA Finals nine times, winning one title in 1971-72. He was also a 12-time All-NBA selection, an NBA Finals MVP as part of a losing team in 1969 and part of the NBA's 75th anniversary team.

He was "the personification of basketball excellence and a friend to all who knew him," the Clippers said in announcing his death. West's wife, Karen, was by his side when he died, the team said.

After his playing career, West found title success as an NBA executive, building the Showtime Lakers of the 1980s that won five titles in that decade and overseeing the formation the Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant tandem. West stayed for just the first title in 2000 as the Lakers went on to three-peat.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Arguably, about as "Mister Pro Basketball" as one can get.

Comment

• Comment

• No pressure. All net. Easy, Peasy......................if you're Jerry West.

Comment

• Willie Mays, the greatest player of my lifetime, has passed away.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Willie Mays, the greatest player of my lifetime, has passed away.
                The G.O.A.T., my childhood idol.
                An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• He was a favorite of mine as well as Hank Aaron

Comment

• I just found out that Ken Hertle just passed as well. Kan was the owner of Barnrd's Restaurant formerly on Woodlawn and now on N Maize Road. I have known Ken for many years and he was always at work no matter what. Rest well Ken

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      I just found out that Ken Hertle just passed as well. Kan was the owner of Barnrd's Restaurant formerly on Woodlawn and now on N Maize Road. I have known Ken for many years and he was always at work no matter what. Rest well Ken
                      Wonderful supporters of WSU Athletics and just a damn good eating establishment. Always make you feel welcome and appreciated.

78-65

Comment

• Yeah, the Say Hey Kid was something else. 24 All-Star game appearances. Tied with Stan "The Man" Musial and 1 behind Hammerin' Hank Aaron. Mays missed most of the 1952 and all of the 1953 seasons as the Army drafted him following the 1951 season missing around 266 games.

Comment

• That many all-star games by Mays, Musial and Aaron is mind-boggling.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Yeah, the Say Hey Kid was something else. 24 All-Star game appearances. Tied with Stan "The Man" Musial and 1 behind Hammerin' Hank Aaron. Mays missed most of the 1952 and all of the 1953 seasons as the Army drafted him following the 1951 season missing around 266 games.
                            Musial missed 1 year (1945) to WWII. Also, somewhat lost in this trio comparison is Ted Williams who lost 3 of his most productive years to WW II.

Comment

• scroll till you find the video of the Mays-Bonds catch

Comment

• BBC - Actor Donald Sutherland dies aged 88

The Canadian actor Donald Sutherland, star of films including The Hunger Games and Don't Look Now, has died at 88 after a long illness.

His son, the actor Kiefer Sutherland, said: "With a heavy heart, I tell you that my father, Donald Sutherland, has passed away. I personally think one of the most important actors in the history of film."

"Never daunted by a role, good, bad or ugly. He loved what he did and did what he loved, and one can never ask for more than that. A life well lived."

Sutherland had almost 200 credits to his name in a career spanning more than half a century.

The news was met with an outpouring of support and tributes.

Cary Elwes, a co-star in the 2001 television film Uprising, said he was "devastated" by Sutherland's death.

"Our hearts are breaking for you," he told Kiefer in an Instagram message. "So grateful to have known [and] worked with him. Sending our love."

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau recalled feeling "deeply, deeply star-struck" when he first met Sutherland.

"My thoughts go out to Kiefer and the entire Sutherland family, as well as all Canadians who are no doubt saddened to learn, as I am right now," he said.

"He was a man with a strong presence, a brilliance in his craft and truly, truly a great Canadian artist," he added.

Ron Howard, who directed Sutherland in the 1991 film Backdraft, said that he was "one of the most intelligent, interesting [and] engrossing film actors of all time".

Born in New Brunswick, Canada, Sutherland started as a radio news reporter before travelling to London in 1957 to study at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.

He then took on small roles in British film and television.

His earliest high-profile roles were in war films including 1967's The Dirty Dozen, and Kelly's Heroes and M*A*S*H from 1970.

I've always loved Donald as an actor. Good, bad, or in between he was fantastic and he will be missed.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X